Hysterectomy in a month | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy in a month Hysterectomy in a month

Unread 11-23-2000, 05:43 AM
Hysterectomy in a month

I went to the doctor Monday© She has scheduled an ultrasound for next Friday ¥delay due to holiday staff shortages¤©
However, she is quite sure that I need a hysterectomy©
Ten years ago she removed a 12 pound ¥yes, 12lb¤ cyst from my right ovary along with the ovary of course© At that time she
did see some fibroids, but they were not a huge problem©
She thought I could wait it out until menopause© I am now 47 and have not had any menopause symptoms ¥except for memory loss - lol¤© However, this year I have had lower back pain, increased urination and general achiness along with nausea which seems to feel like my stomach is pushing up into my chest, but I do not vomit© Eight years ago, due to the fibroids I assume, I had such bad periods that I had anemia©
At that point, I had ablation and my periods have been very light since that operation© They are now heavier, but not a problem© Before my appointment I kinda knew I had another problem, but did not want to face it© I talked myself into believing that my stomach looks like I am 5 months pregnant because I had eaten too much and drank too much wine© As soon as she examined me she said "Whoah, what is this? Your left ovary is gone, so how can we have a mass??"© She has pretty much decided ¥to be confirmed by ultrascan¤ that the
fibroids have gotten so big they have pushed my uterus over to the left, against my kidney, against my back etc©
I have been unable to sleep properly for months because I cannot get comfortable© I feel like little feet are poking me! Even my left hip hurts© I read on this board that people decide to live with the fibroids, but boy, I don't think I want to do that© Surely they will just get bigger?
Are all of these symptoms common?
Please help with info© Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2000, 01:40 PM
Hysterectomy in a month

Hi Pam,

Some women choose to remove only the fibroids with surgery called myomectomy. You may want to do a search on fibroids using the medical search engine near the top of this page. Also, ask this question over in the Pre-Op or Post-Op forums.

85% of hysterectomies are elective, a *quality of life* issue. Get smart about your symptoms & your options, and make the best choice for YOU
Unread 11-27-2000, 07:48 PM
Hysterectomy in a month

Twyla has great advice. Search out your options.
I was anemic and had a large fibroid and several smaller ones starting up. My periods were miserable and I was feeling worse and worse. I elected to have the surgery. I wanted to feel good again. I do! Everyone has the choice to make. I am glad for my choice.
Please do your research!
Blessings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2000, 01:28 PM
Hysterectomy in a month

You sound like you're having a lot of the symptoms I had - low back pain, couldn't sleep (couldn't get comfortable), leaky bladder. I did search out my options - including ablation and myoectomy - and chose to have a lap hyster, leaving cervix and ovaries. I had several second opinions, and felt comfortable about my decision. You can read my story on the Princess board "Dixie Tracy and the Big Fibroid" I recovered very quickly, and my quality of life is very improved. Just my story - we're all different.

Let us know what you decide.

Dixie Tracy
SLH 7/11/00
Unread 11-29-2000, 09:02 PM
Hysterectomy in a month

Pam,
Isnt this a wonderful resource? I am in the exact same situation you are in. Have been dealing with fibroids for probably 5-10 yrs and expect i have another 5 yrs to go to menapause. Very heavy periods and anemic but no pain or other issues. Have already had the ultrasound and my MD called me about the results. (Fibroid much larger than a year ago which explains a lot of new symptoms that I also attributed to too much food, not enough exercise etc). He told me last year it was all personal choice. No pressure from him to get it over with. I appreciated his approach. I see him next week and I too am afraid it is getting "less optional" I have never had any kind of surgery and am terrified at the thought. Have been anemic for a very long time though and I am beginning to think that I might be better off to just make the decision and be done with it. If you think that I sound rational about this it is because you didnt see me in "HYST"erics an hour ago!

Tina

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register