Remain calm, take a deep breath! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Remain calm, take a deep breath! Remain calm, take a deep breath!

Unread 03-30-2004, 10:32 AM
Remain calm, take a deep breath!

I see a lot of post lately of how terrified my sisters are of their up coming surgery, me too a little. I'm a little more calm now that I've have set down with my doc and had a heart to heart. She reassured me that most of the negative posts that I have read and the things these sisters have been through are not and I repeat are not the norm. I believe everything or almost everything I read, which is some instances I should not, but if i do read them I dwell on them for far too long, which is my downfall. I asked so many questions and my doc seemed suprised, she new I've spent way too much time on this site, but it is addictive, huh?! She calmed most of my fears and said if I was scared or terrified I could always change my mind. She did warn me of the potential risks, but they are the same for every major surgery. My only fear I assurred her is that of being put out by the anesth. person. I told her that is just because I'm a control freak!lol! Surgery is the 4/20 for me so I'm going ahead and not looking back. Well hopefully if I do look back it will be to say I wish I had done this sooner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2004, 10:38 AM

You will be so happy! Just keeping thinking how wonderful life will be for you. I'm not going to say it's going to be a breeze the first week is hard, but things just get better. Rest, walk and rest some more. God speed.
Unread 03-30-2004, 10:42 AM

Hi there, I really like your way of thinking. I was confident but I think it is just what you said, sometimes you read so much ( I am so so addicted to this site) you scare yourself. I asked questions of my GYN that shocked her....she was surprised I thought of these things....
If I continue this way by the time the 22nd comes they will have to bring me in restraints!!
Thank you!

S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2004, 04:16 PM

Hi Treebo

I know what you mean. I have to limit the amount of time on here... I think it is great for the support and information, but sometimes you can get too much. I made the mistake of checking out a site that had pictures of an actual surgery... they freaked me out. My DH said if I didn't chill out he would take away the computer!

Hope all goes well for you. I'll be thinking about you (my surgery is the same day)
Unread 03-30-2004, 04:26 PM

treebo, go look at my posts BEFORE my TAH/BSO and you'll see that I even posted something about "not reading some of the posts here" because they scare you to death. I had mostly very sympathetic responses but one kind of mean response (that was taken off). It really upset me that I couldn't express how scared some of the posts have made me, until I realized I COULD. We're all different and some people do better with more information. I think I do better with less! . I'm looking at it all in the rear view mirror now that I'm 8 days post op and I see that I spent a lot of valuable time worrying and fretting over things that I didn't need to worry and fret about. Your Dr. is right about lots of those things not being the norm. Just have faith in God, yourself, and your medical team and you'll be fine. I'm a walking talking testimony to that! PM if you need to talk or ask questions.
Janie
Unread 03-30-2004, 05:48 PM
Scared too

Boy, all of our surgery dates are so close and I am getting really nervous. Getting the kind of "I think I am going to throw up" feelings. Good way to lose weight!

I too am addicted and it really helps me to read everything you ladies say. God bless all of you - I read everything you all say, and sharing these similar feelings is the greatest comfort to me. And hello to all you lurkers! I was one too until my date got closer!

I am just dreading seeing "Best wishes wo all you April 21 princesses!" Then I know I will be counting down and completely unable to sleep.
Unread 03-30-2004, 08:37 PM
Relax!!

I, too, got stressed out at some of the messages that were posted, but I'm here to tell you, I have a great positve post surgery experience! Just relax!! I can't believe it's been almost 12 weeks since my lvh and I feel WONDERFUL!!!! I haven't had a single twinge of pain since the 4 week point.

Just remember ladies, NO more bleeding, NO more cramping (this has been the delight of my life!), NO more tampons or diaper pads! I took great joy in throwing the last Tampax box in the garbage!!!

Don't stress yourselves out! I went home with only Motrin 800, which I only took for about 3 days. I caught a stomach virus (yes, this was really bad timing) the day after I left the hospital. I had one slight bump in the road around the 3-4 week post op period of pressure that turned out to be healing and tightening.

Now, I feel like I have a new life! Before my uterus ruled my life, now I'm in charge and loving it!!!

Best wishes to all of you pre-op ladies! Don't forget your pillow!

Tami, lvh 1/9/04
Unread 03-30-2004, 08:49 PM

Treebo:
First let me say this is a great site with TONS of support, but everyone is right...to much can be harmful to your state of mind let alone your nerves. You are about to go through a major surgery and are scared enough.

I am 5 mo. post op and feel GREAT. About a month after the surgery, I just stopped coming here, I was plagued by sadness and surgery overload. When I came back online, I limited myself to a 2-3 times a week.

Keep the positive attitude, but remember you have sisters here that will help you through the tough times! Try to be selective in what you read and ask questions if you get scared.

Take care and a big

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register