Uterine Fibroid Embolization failed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Uterine Fibroid Embolization failed Uterine Fibroid Embolization failed

Unread 06-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Uterine Fibroid Embolization failed

I had laser UFE in Jan. 2010. It has been 5 months now and I can still "feel" the biggest fibroid on my right side. I did have a pap done in April by my primary doctor and after an internal examine, she said the fibroids are still "huge". The radiologist who did the laser treatment did tell me that not all women has success with the laser and if the laser fails, then they will need a hysterectomy. My question is this: how soon AFTER the laser treatment should my fibroids start getting smaller??
The radiologist told me that after 6 months, I would notice a change, but it's been 5 months already and they are still large. The only problems I have with my fibroids are lower back pain and a distended abdomen. I am a very petite woman and my protuding belly is so noticable and makes me feel very self conscience. I cannot have a myectomy (sp ?) because once you have the laser UFE, you cannot have the other. You have to go straight to a hysterectomy. Does anyone have any advice for me? Do fibroids get larger before they start getting smaller (after the laser) ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Re: Uterine Fibroid Embolization failed

Hi strongmanslady

Although my fibroids were small, they caused a great deal of pain. One of the reasons I decided against the UFE as a good option for me is that I read in several reputable places that it could take at least 7-8 months for them to noticeably shrink or become spongier. For me, this wasn't enough time.

Do you have a gynecologist you could ask about this? I would think that a gynecologist might at least be able to look into this for you--or a nurse at the office.

I hope you are able to avoid a hysterectomy--but if not, we'll be here for you either way!
Unread 06-08-2010, 08:00 AM

I went to a gyno last week for a "2nd" opinion. He told me, based on his exam of me PRIOR to the UFE, that he thought they were still pretty big (he said maybe just a tiny bit smaller). Now, it has only been 6 months. The gyno told me that it could take many, many months before there is any noticeable difference. The radiologist who performed the laser treatment told me that by month 6 I would see, or feel, a difference - but I don't. I know I should go by what the radiologist says, since he performed the laser treatment, but I feel so much more "bloated" in my abdomen area. This is why I feel the laser treatment did not work for me and that the fibroids are just getting bigger. Since I am such a petite person, I actually look like I am pregnant. I guess my only option is to wait a few more months and see then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2010, 12:27 PM

I had UFE two weeks ago on May 24. The only thing that I suffer with fibroids is bleeding. So I can't help on the pain part. I am prepared to wait it out about 6 months before I know if this has been a success as my IR hopes it has been. Is there a difference in laser UFE and the old fashion?
Unread 06-08-2010, 01:16 PM

I don't know what you mean by "the old fashion". My only problems with the fibroids are the back pain and constant feeling of having to urinate. I have about 25 fibroids - some about 5 cm's. My lower back always aches. I am up during the night at least 3 -4 times. Since my UFE was about 5 months ago, I will wait this out another couple of months and hopefully by then, I will have noticed some changes. Up till now, I have noticed no changes at all (and neither have my primary and gyno).
Unread 06-08-2010, 01:29 PM

By old fashioned I mean they way they insert the catether with the beads to stop the blood flow. I haven't heard od it as laser UFE before.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register