TAH Think DH is fed up. 3rd week post hysterectomy - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Think DH is fed up. 3rd week post hysterectomy Think DH is fed up. 3rd week post hysterectomy

Unread 12-08-2014, 06:38 AM
Re: Think DH is fed up. 3rd week post hysterectomy

I do understand how you are feeling. I am a self doer and it is very hard for me to have anyone do things for me.

But after the surgery I thought...I only have on chance to heal properly without complications so I am going to have to rely on others to do things for me.

My husband has been amazing and I am so blessed to have him help me through all of this.

When I start to feel bad about him doing so much extra work...I stop and think...I would do the same for him if he has just had major surgery.

Best of luck to you in your recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2014, 04:53 PM

I found myself in the garage today looking for Christmas cards for my 9yr old. It wasn't until I leant forward to pick up a box and my middle area screamed that I stopped myself. My head needs to chill and stop expecting miracles. Maybe it's the high oestrogen that I'm on? Amazing how many times I'm saying thank you to members of my household family when they have done something that I would just automatically do and move on. Who says "thank you" for someone emptying the washer? I must look out for theses praises when I'm fixed up!
Unread 12-08-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitabella3 View Post
When I start to feel bad about him doing so much extra work...I stop and think...I would do the same for him if he has just had major surgery.
Exactly. THIS is what "in sickness and in health" means.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2014, 11:52 PM
Think DH is fed up. 3rd week post hysterectomy

I totally understand!! I find myself saying thank you to my husband for picking up things I drop on floor!! I feel so helpless. My dr told me about 2 weeks recovery after robotic hysterectomy and I Will probably b able to go back to work. I have a cleaning business and clean 3 houses or offices 5 days a week!!
Unread 12-09-2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball1217 View Post
I totally understand!! I find myself saying thank you to my husband for picking up things I drop on floor!! I feel so helpless. My dr told me about 2 weeks recovery after robotic hysterectomy and I Will probably b able to go back to work. I have a cleaning business and clean 3 houses or offices 5 days a week!!
2 weeks!!! That's very quick isn't it- although I don't know the ins and outs of the robotic surgery. Don't go back unless you feel ready. How's your pain?
Unread 12-09-2014, 12:26 AM

Yes he told me 2 weeks!! I still have pain but it is easing up. Still can't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk. I'm still getting a lot of gas but drinking a glass of prune juice keeps me regular. Its the only thing that finally helped. How is your pain??
Unread 12-09-2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball1217 View Post
Yes he told me 2 weeks!! I still have pain but it is easing up. Still can't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk. I'm still getting a lot of gas but drinking a glass of prune juice keeps me regular. Its the only thing that finally helped. How is your pain??
My gyno insisted that the robotic surgery would lead to a much faster recovery but he still gave me a six week medical certificate. I'm doing really well but there is no way I could go back to work right now. It seems recovering from a hysterectomy is a very up and down experience. One minute I am dressed and having coffee with friends next thing I'm back in bed feeling tired and sore. I have no idea how anyone can go back to a physically demanding job after only a few weeks post op.
Unread 12-09-2014, 01:53 AM

I had my surgery Nov. 26 and I totally agree about the up and down. One minute I'm up feeling ok and then I need to sit down asap. I'm wondering if I will b ready for work 6 weeks postop!
Unread 12-09-2014, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillydog1 View Post
Boy can I relate to all of this! I am "Supermom" too and refer to myself as "the glue that holds this family together." Things are not getting done as they were promised (more of an issue with my teenaged daughter than my husband) and I hate not being able to do things. I am also someone who just gets things done. We put up our tree and other decorations today and it involved moving furniture and vacuuming as well. I hated that I was just going around pointing out what needed to be done next (like taking the decoration boxes back to the basement instead of leaving them in the middle of the living room) while everyone groaned, whined and rolled their eyes! Normally, I would have just taken care of it but I feel like I am constantly micro managing while they complain and nothing is getting done! I can't wait to be my old capable self!! You are not alone -none of you believe me! Stay strong ladies!!

I completely understand!! I have 3 teens that are supposed to help along with my DH. I feel guilty asking my DH to do anything because he works long hours. That leaves me with 3 teens that I need to depend on. Yelling to answer questions is draining, I feel the pull in my abdomen. It was way worse the first couple weeks after surgery. Now it's been 4 weeks and I can finally do some things again. I am a stay at home Mom. My whole job is to take care of the family. I have felt useless and depressed. Now I'm slowly starting to feel better and you will too. Just getting out for a ride in the car is therapeutic. I've now driven a few times too. I never realized that driving engages abdominal muscles too. So if you have a binder wear it in the car to drive. I'd say if you bought the set of 2 keeping one in the car might come in handy when you start to get sore. It has got easier everyday.
Unread 12-09-2014, 05:29 AM

It was six weeks before I got much energy and I'm still careful how it lift and carry. My surgery was Oct 6th. Take the help now, and let your family keep some of the chores later. Watch out for fostering "learned helplessness." Teens can do and should do quite a bit. It's on the job training so that when they move out, they can cook and clean and care for themselves.

We'll, that sound preachy. I'm liking letting my DH do more so maybe I'm justifying...
Hugs to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register