Will my surgery be cancelled because of flu? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will my surgery be cancelled because of flu? Will my surgery be cancelled because of flu?

Unread 03-03-2003, 05:31 PM
Will my surgery be cancelled because of flu?

I am to have my TAH on Friday 7th March, only 4 more days!, last Monday I started with a sore throat, went to the doctor as I was afraid it was the start of the flu, he put me on a strong antibiotic, still got the flu, was pretty bad on Monday night, Tuesday and Wednesday, not too bad now, just a bit of a cough but my right ear feels like there is water in it or like when you are up in a plane, Should I go back to the doctor? do you think this will prevent my surgery going ahead? the pain is getting worse each day, not sleeping much because of this, so I would be really upset if it were cancelled. Help, advice needed!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2003, 05:45 PM

Hi Catherine---I'm sorry you aren't feeling well!

My best advice is to call your doctor and let him/her know your symptoms and concerns. If you are really sick, it's likely they will want to postpone the surgery, especially if you are running a fever or have any respiratory symptoms. Could be they can give you something to help clear up the ear problem.

Let us know what you find out.....

's
Unread 03-03-2003, 07:34 PM

definitely call your doctor to be safe. Let him/her know how you feel and what you feel in your ear. It's better to have it checked if necessary. I had just (barely) gotten over pneumonia days before my surgery! I also had cellulitis which was not responding to antibiotics and he said he'd have to give me IV antibiotics. So in that respect it was fortunate I was going to be in the hospital anyway because I'd have been admitted anyway. Hey, two for the price of one, huh?

Blessings,
TC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2003, 08:55 PM

Hi, Catherine,

So sorry you're feeling bad. It's hard enough to do the waiting, but when you're sick right before surgery, it definitely adds to the worries. You need to call your doctor asap and tell him/her your symptoms, definitely mention if you're running fever and how high it is. Mention all the symptoms you're having; the doctor may want to recheck you before surgery to see how you're doing now. I'll pray for you, that you get well enough to proceed with your surgery. Just remember, if something comes up, it's probably for the best, you'll recover from that and then get your surgery. IT's not good to have surgery when you're sick with other illnesses, like the flu or a bad infection. Just get well quick, I'm praying that you'll be well enough to go ahead with your surgery. Call your doctor tomorrow morning, to get his/her opinion on what to do - the doctor will probably want to recheck you, though. God bless, keep us posted on what's going on. WE care about you.
DebraDeeH

this is my opinion;always get medical advice from a doctor
Unread 03-04-2003, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the great advice ladies, much better today, Doctor says there should not be a problem as I do not have a temp and no chest infection, so, time to start panicking, go into the Castle on Thursday, not long to go now!! and have my TAH on Friday, we do it a little differently here in Ireland, I will be in hospital for 6-7 days, I am really glad it was not cancelled but scared silly of actually going in, talk about mixed up!!

Anyway, thank you for listening, talk to you all soon
Unread 03-04-2003, 07:39 PM

Hi Catherine--

Glad to hear that your doc has given you the all-clear to go ahead with your surgery. I know the waiting is so hard--and having to cancel and reschedule would add so much more to your stress.

Wow--6 - 7 day stay!! I had no idea that Ireland hospitals grant such long post-op stays! It's amazing to me, the difference between our standard 2 day stay here in the U.S. (good old insurance rules) and how European hospitals grant longer stays...kinda wish I would have had my surgery in Europe You will certainly have lots of time to begin getting back on your feet before going home. Use that time to pamper yourself and rest up. You might get bored so I would recommend taking a CD Walkman with you to the hospital, so you can have some nice music to listen to, and also a good book!

When you wake up after your surgery you will be so relieved that it is behind you...you will do fine.

Sending you lots of good thoughts and prayers.
Unread 03-05-2003, 10:10 PM

Dear Catherine,

I'm so glad you're going to go ahead with your surgery because you're doing better and not having symptoms that would interfere with doing the surgery. Congratulations on that! I'll be thinking of you and praying for you,lots,on Friday. What part of Ireland do you live in? I would imagine that's a beautiful place to live. One of the doctors I work for loves Irish music, celtic in particular. Do you ever go to the chat room? It's alot of fun and a good stress reliever. I'm there alot, every sunday night between 8:30-9:30p.m. central standard time and wed. 11am-12noon, central standard time. I know this week is hard on you, with the waiting and all. Hang in there, hon. Just get to feeling better, pack well, pamper yourself, and don't worry about afterwards. I hope you have some help postop, when you get home, for cooking meals, waiting on you, laundry, some housekeeping, etc. You shouldn't do any of those things for quite awhile, esp. no work for a long time. God bless. Take care. Please post when you're able to let us know how you're doing. I'm glad you'll have a lengthy stay in the hospital, that'll help you alot. I was in for 5 days (had some complications) but was oh, ever so glad, to get home. Take care, hon.
DebraDeeH

this is my opinion;always get medical advice from a doctor

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register