Recovery in a remote site -- alone | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery in a remote site -- alone Recovery in a remote site -- alone

Unread 03-18-2003, 12:57 AM
Recovery in a remote site -- alone

About 2 1/2 weeks post-op, providing there are no complications, I plan on going to our mountain camp site with my family for a week and then sending everyone home and staying in the camper for about 4 weeks by my self. This place is so remote that I will need to drive to use a cell phone, there is no TV reception, but there are other campers there that are friends with DH and me. There is electricity for the camp, but no running water, other then the creek, which is shallow and clear enough to see to the bottom. This is where I will need to bathe. My DH is freaking out that something will happen to me while I am there (like I will fall and bleed to death) and be unable to care for myself. I feel that it will be heaven to have no one but myself to care for, reading, sitting in the creek, in the sun, napping, doing some sewing (can't leave my quilting at home!) and taking walks down along the creek. Do you think this a reasonable idea or will I be unable to care for myself? The neighbor is my aunt (about a block walk) and has a land phone. I plan on getting the okey with my doctor, but feel that if I am home, I will be doing a lot more. What do you think? How did you feel at 3+ weeks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2003, 03:54 AM

i am three and a half weeks post op and i still feel very tired and to be honest i need my dh here for me.... vh,b.repair, i think the idea of peace and quiet is inviting but i believe you will need your dh not just phsically but emotionally as well.. if you have a closeness with your dh i feel this is the tme you need that most... you go through alot and it is so nice to have someone there for you, helping you out and just cuddling up... this is obviously my opinion and i know we are all different.... but there is no way i would want to be by myself... all the best to you.. mary. xx
Unread 03-18-2003, 04:32 AM
Hi Jan,

You don't say what type of surgery you are having. A lot could depend on that.

Personally, as a former nurse, I don't think that going off by yourself is such a good idea. Things do happen, and not having a telephone nearby can be dangerous. What if a complication arose (and they do, just read the Post-Op board!) Who would help you then? What if the power goes off and you had to get up in the dark and fell? In addition, who is going to do your dishes, wash your clothes, buy you groceries, clean the house for you? These are all things that you're going to need help with. Walking along the creek could also be dangerous if the path isn't smooth, you could trip on rocks or roots. And tripping over things post-op isn't a fun activity!! Bathing in a creek also doesn't sound like such a good idea. What if you slip on the creek bank and fall in? You could damage your internal sutures and perhaps bleed to death before you could get help. Also, how are you going to bathe in the creek? Most women have restrictions on bathing for 4 to 6 weeks, and only showering is allowed due to possible risk of infections.

I'm not trying to scare you, but you need to think of all the possibilities that COULD happen. No, I don't think it's such a good idea at all! You need someone near you, and you need to be where you could get help if you needed it.

Check with your doctor. See what he says.

Best wishes and s,

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2003, 05:31 AM

((((((Janet))))))

As gently as I can say this....AAAAAAAACK!

Those are lovely thoughts of what you have, but I have to say I agree with what the others say. What Sashi said is exactly the same things that were running through my mind as I was reading your post.

I know I wanted to paint a small bathroom at 6 weeks post and promised not to carry the paint, bend or stretch and to stay in small areas at a time with moving my whole body to get to the next. But, my Dr still did not want me to even try. I can't imagine what he'd say if I had told him I wanted to go camping...much less alone.

You are at what I call the "danger zone". Lots of women feel pretty good at the time you are now. This sets them up to doing more than they should because they feel they can. However, if you don't follow Dr's orders, you can do some damage to your body.

I saw in your profile that you're a cardiac nurse. I know we nurses don't always heed the advise we give to our patients. But, please think of what you would tell one of yours if they just had surgery and thought of going camping alone.

s,
Pam
Unread 03-18-2003, 06:12 AM

Well, I'm not a doctor or nurse - so I can't say from that viewpoint. But to me roughing it is a motel with no room service - so the thought of being without TV, runninging water and such is well.......... not something I would do even if I felt great! I'm pretty tough and stubborn otherwise, and I too would be concerned of the 'what if's'.
Unread 03-18-2003, 06:20 AM
WHAT???!!!

Pardon me, I don't mean to sound crazed, but...

Save that idyllic remote retreat for when you are truly recovered. You are taking waaaaaay too many chances. This may be your idea of Pampered Princess but you're setting yourself up for some possibly bad stuff.

Granted, I am not the camping=luxury vacation type, I groan at the thought, but please rethink this. You are better off playing it safe and waiting to do the roughing bit after all is definitely healed.

This is all going to be a moot point anyway, I would imagine your Dr will have apoplexy when he finds out your travel plans.

Sorry to bust the bubble....
Unread 03-18-2003, 06:35 AM

I'll be interested to hear what your has to say. Keeping in mind that you can't bend, lift, carry anything over ten pounds or maybe even get up from a sitting position on the ground, could you manage? I think the suggestions you might fall and that it wouldn't be fun to be by yourself are coming from people who don't have experience living like this and you apparently do. You say your aunt is closeby and presumably could check on you and help you out. I'm not sure this is a totally crazy idea. Maybe the hardest part would be going there for a week with the whole family. Being practical is advisable. Not to take any risks? Well, that's something else. IF you are able to drive at 3 weeks and IF you can really take care of yourself and feel like doing it, I'd say go for it.

Joselle
Unread 03-18-2003, 06:45 AM

Sorry, Joselle, and I mean this in a very nice way, but I do know what I'm talking about, have camped many times, and have spent a great deal of time outdoors my whole life. There are very legit reasons Drs have restrictions on what someone can/can't do after surgery.

Also, I have always been a pretty independant person and can take care of myself. I also enjoy spending time by myself. (Of course, I enjoy spending time with others too.)

Have you had a hyst yet? I noticed it doesn't give a date for you. If not, maybe you will understand more what we are trying to say after you experience it. Hopefully for you, you won't have a bad experience or didn't have one, but you never know what can happen.

Around 3 weeks post, lots of women complain about pain or twinges that they didn't have previously. Most of the time, it is just part of the healing process. But, as I always say, if any new pain occurs that the Dr didn't warn you about starts, please call. This is another reason I feel it is not a wise idea to go camping at that time.
Unread 03-18-2003, 06:57 AM
Camping

Actually, Joselle, I DO have extensive experience camping out and roughing it.

I grew up in the Green Swamp of Central Florida where we had racoons eating our chickens, cows that would come in the house if the door was left open, and wild hogs chasing our dogs. (I think it was supposed to be the other way around, the dogs should have been chasing the wild hogs! Whimpy dogs!) It was 20 miles to the nearest store, and it took an hour to get to school each day. We would frequently go to our hunting camp (tents, not solid structures) and camp for weeks, living off the land, so to speak. No indoor plumbing, no running water, not even a refrigerator.

More recently, my brother and his family and myself joined a group of Civil War reenactors, and had to camp at every reenactment for eight years. (We just moved to Tennessee and are still trying to find a reenactors group in our area, or we'd still be doing that.)

Believe me, I know the riggors of camping out only too well. And I know how enjoyable it can be to be by yourself away from the stress of family and friends.

And knowing what I know about this surgery and my extensive medical knowledge and my knowledge of camping and roughing it, I REALLY, REALLY DON'T THINK IT'S A GOOD IDEA!!!!!

But again, check with your doctor.
Unread 03-18-2003, 07:30 AM

I don't want to be off the mark, ladies, but let me play devil's advocate here for a minute.....

Staying in a camper is really not "roughing" it! Jan will have electricity and I presume a small kitchen for heating up minimal prep meals. I would also presume that the fresh and waste water tanks of the camper would be topped off and emptied by hubby before he leaves so you wouldn't have to fuss with that, either.

That leaves the concern about remoteness. As long as there are other folks there within shouting distance, who can and will assist in the event of an emergency, what is the problem?

If home life is hectic and busy, the camper may be much more restful than home. No temptation to "do" for all the family as we women are sooooo inclined to do even right after major surgery.

I'd say WITH Doctor's permission AND a good emergency plan it COULD be a wonderful and healing retreat. How often does a mother and wife ever have such an excuse to get away?

Just my 2 cents, and do be sure to check with Dr., whatever you do.

Anna

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register