What will my husband experience? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What will my husband experience? What will my husband experience?

Unread 11-03-2005, 05:16 PM
What will my husband experience?

Today I learned that I have two fibroids...one is the size of a small orange and the other is about half that size. I am not experiencing some of the more serious symptoms like excessive bleeding or pain. But I am experiencing bloatedness, constant pressure on my bladder, and looking "a little" pregnant (I know, there is no such thing). My doctor suggested laparoscopic hysterctomy.

I am 41 years old and not planning on having children so a hysterectomy doesn't scare me from that standpoint. But one of the things that does concern me is what my husband will feel during intercourse.

Somewere along the way I heard what I am hoping is a "wives tale", in that a man would not experience as much pleasure with a woman who had a hysterecomy because her insides would be not as tight somehow. I know this might sound ridiculous (as ridiculous as when I was 4 and heard that babies were born through the belly button), but my husband and I have a very intimate relationship.

I know he would want what's best for my health and would not love me or desire me any less. But considering my mild symptoms, I'm feeling that the decision to have a hysterectomy is less about my health and more about my comfort (for now).

Can anyone give me some honest insight from the man's perspective so that I feel better informed about what effect this decision will have from my husband's point of view? Thank you.

CRH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2005, 07:49 PM

Most of the posts I've read have been positive for both the men and women. I got the "go ahead" from my doc at 4 weeks, but my DH is out of town for a while and we haven't experienced post-op intercourse yet. There has been lots of discussion about this subject. Some women's doctors were able to lengthen and tighten their vaginas. Interesting. I've also read that it's actually tighter because of the swelling. Anyway, I don't think you have anything to worry about. When the time comes, just enjoy it!
Unread 11-03-2005, 11:32 PM

Thank you MM. I think I'm leaning toward the surgery but since I am not experiencing some of the more serious symptoms I think I'm looking at it as a more "elective" type thing. I just want to make sure I am making a well-informed decision. It helps to chat with those who have experienced it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2005, 08:17 AM

This is the best site to get your information. You'll read about the good and the bad and you can base your decision on being well-informed. I spoke with a friend yesterday who had her surgery last year. She said that it takes a long time to heal but now that it's a year later, she can hardly remember any of the recovery time. She feels wonderful and said it was the best decision she's ever made. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Madonna
Unread 11-04-2005, 08:26 AM

I am 8 mo. post op, and 50 yrs. young! I had a TAH, and I have nothing left...no problems here! Best decision I have ever made for myself. The only regret I have is not doing this sooner.

Best wishes and whatever decision you make, I hope things work out for you.

Life is good!
Unread 11-04-2005, 09:08 AM

It's gonna be hard for anyone to answer this question but I can tell you that I was standing right there when my mom asked my dad, point blank, "Do I feel different since I had my hysterectomy?" and he said "No, I can't tell the difference."
Unread 11-04-2005, 09:27 AM

You mean your parents had sex?
Unread 11-04-2005, 09:41 AM

I just had my 6 week follow up last week and I asked my husband if I felt different and he said it didn't feel any different than before. But I do think it's different for everyone. I had LAVH/BSO. But I know 3 other people who have had this surgery before me and told me the same thing so I don't think there will be much to worry about in that dept.
Unread 11-04-2005, 09:45 AM

I'm curious. Since you are not really having many excruciating symptoms other than the fibroids, have you considered having a myomectomy ( I think that is what it is called). It is where they remove the fibroids only from the uterus. Just a thought. Something for you to research. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
Unread 11-04-2005, 09:45 AM
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmullin4
You mean your parents had sex?
Oh, my!! You have NO idea!!! My parents are so open about EVERYTHING that it actually makes me sick sometimes!

Never a dull moment ....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register