Ready to Get This Done!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ready to Get This Done!! Ready to Get This Done!!

Unread 08-14-2008, 12:16 PM
Ready to Get This Done!!

I found out two weeks ago that I need a hysterectomy due to ovarian cysts and thickening of my uterine wall. I'm 54 and a very busy person. I know my health comes first, but my job is in a critical time right now and I need to get this overwith!! My problem is that I can't get a commitment from my ob/gyn about when the surgery will be performed. I get stonewalled each time I call and can't get any answers. It's been two weeks! How long does it take to schedule this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Ready to Get This Done!!

It took my GYN over two weeks to get me scheduled. I was going nuts!!! I work for a very busy airline, and my boss was freaking out not knowing how long he would be without me and when. I didn't want to be a pest, so I only called about twice in those two weeks, but I finally got a call with a date about 18 days after my dr. told me it would be done.

I had wanted to be scheduled right after my son returned to school in August, but they were unable to get me in until September 22 at first. She then realized she had double-scheduled me, and asked me whether I'd rather do Septmeber 15 or September 22. I told her the earlier the better!

Good luck! I had a really hard time being patient, and now I'm having a horrible time with the wait. I'm ready to be done!
Unread 08-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Ready to Get This Done!!

It's hard enough to go through the stress of having to do this without the added stress of worrying about your job. But that's the reality in today's world. My job is busy, I have a staff who have vacations scheduled that they probably will have to cancel if I'm out — my assistant especially. I feel bad not being able to tell anyone when I'll be out. I'm so frustrated with my doctor because she seems to feel like her time is way more important than mine. Grrrrrrrr!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm fortunate

I found out about mine in late June, but because of my husband's military leave, was unable to schedule anything until he returns in September. My doc told me her surgery dates and I was able to pick which one I wanted. It turned out in my favor. If I had wanted it earlier, she was booked about three weeks out, so it wouldn't have been lickety split. However, when you think about the preparations for what we are doing (home, kids, jobs, other responsibilities) I figure a few weeks would be needed anyway.
Unread 08-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Ready to Get This Done!!

I guess I'm starting to see the reality of this process. I've read a lot of posts that suggest I shouldn't be in a big hurry. My problem is, if I can't get my surgery by the end of August, I'll have to put it off until January. I'm not crazy about that idea, but I guess I can live with it. I don't want to have to go through a bunch more tests though. I've been diagnosed, and if I have to get another biopsy I'll scream!!!
Unread 08-18-2008, 08:53 PM
How to Fit Work In with an LAVH

I was scheduled for September 23 but had some hemorhagging related to my fibroids (I hope) so am having surgery tomorrow. I worked like a fiend all weekend and stayed until 8 pm tonight (yes I do have two children as well and a DH) finishing things up at work to make it easier for my co-worker to cover for me. Then my female boss says (think Sigourney Weaver in Working Girls) "so you will be able to work from home in 2 weeks...?" No "take the time you need to recover" etc. The doctor has mandated 4 weeks and I will have to be feeling really good to check in before then...

Good luck ladies!
Unread 08-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Ready to Get This Done!!

BoogieDown - I know just how you feel!! When I went in initially and my doctors told me a TVH and bladder sling were pretty much my only options, my attitude was, "How soon can we get it done?!?" He says, "No problem! I have a couple of surgery dates in September; how soon would you like?" We settle on the ninth and he says he'll call me no later than Friday to confirm. (This was early last week.) So, no call by Friday afternoon. I called his office, ran his nurse to ground and asked (very politely...) when I should expect to hear from him. She says, very blithely, "Oh, he says he'll call you no later than early next week (??!???) and I looked at his schedule and you won't be in for surgery on the ninth; maybe the 25th." :burning:

WHAT?!?

I know that military docs are busy; I've been dealing with them all my life. I know that civilian doctors are busy - there aren't enough of them all around. I know that their schedules are tight and they need to space things out so that we all get the best care we can get from them. But...GRRRRRR! I'm sick of having to stuff bits of me back inside. **TMI!** I just wish they'd look at their schedules and give you something. Except for emergency situations, which we all understand, why in the world does it take any of them WEEKS to come up with a date?

Sigh. I didn't mean to hijack your thread...I just know exactly how the waiting makes you feel. I'm not apprehensive about the procedure and really just want to have it over with. Good luck getting a date pinned down and let us know what happens!!
Unread 08-19-2008, 03:04 PM
Ready to Get This Done!!

Feyleona — I know just how you feel. Since I first posted my thread, I finally tracked down the surgery scheduler and she had JUST received my file (this was Monday, the 18th — my doc informed me I need SAH on July 31st!!!). So I asked how long it would take to schedule and all I know now that I didn't know before is that it will be sometime in September (maybe). She needs to get insurance approval and told me of 4 days in September that it might happen. I told her that if I can't get the first date (Sept. 9) that we might as well wait until next year. Where I work gets very busy right before the holidays and I can't afford to be out of work past October. I'm so frustrated because I've been ready to get this done for MONTHS!!! So far I'm not nervous about the surgery either — just ready to move on!! My situation is not an emergency, but I'm not very comfortable. Well, maybe you and I will be having surgery on the same day.
Unread 08-20-2008, 02:55 AM
Ready to Get This Done!!

Boogie - Well, I'd say it's PAST "early in the week" and I still haven't heard back from my doctor's office. I don't want to call and make a pain of myself, but this is driving me crazy!! I guess I'll wait until later in the day and call his office back and see what is happening (if anything!!).

Let us know what happens about yours being scheduled!!
Unread 08-20-2008, 05:44 AM
Ready to Get This Done!!

BoggieDown, I took advantage of a cancelation and ended up with three days to get everything ready at work for my surgery. I had already been preparing but I really had to speed things up, then.

My staff was great, including the new ones who had not been told of my cancer diagnosis. While I was off, I did not receive a single e-mail or phone call from them. The staff did a great job of seeing to things while I was gone. My boss called me twice to lay a guilt trip on me, but I resisted!

I understand your reluctance to be gone during your ultra busy season but if it turns out you end up having the surgery at a less-than-ideal time, you may be pleasantly surprised at the outcome at work. No one really does my job while I am gone, but everyone stepped up to get the essentials taken care of, which is all I can reasonably expect and/or ask for.

Best wishes for your surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register