Scheduled TAH When can you shower? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When can you shower? When can you shower?

Unread 02-21-2010, 07:51 PM
When can you shower?

I'll be having a TAH and I was wondering when do you get to shower? I bought some travel size shampoo for the hospital but then realized I may not be allowed to shower at the hospital. When are you allowed to shower?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Re: When can you shower?

Well every hospital is different, but I showered before I left the hospital on day 3. I'd call your doc or the hospital and ask.
Unread 02-21-2010, 08:06 PM

I took a shower the day after my surgery. The nurses at my hospital encouraged me to take one ASAP after both my c-section and this surgery (TAH). Don't feel like you have to rush it and only attempt it once your nurses or doc have given you the green light. I recommend taking a shower before you go home. This will help you feel refreshed and give you a confidence boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2010, 08:34 PM

I was allowed to shower on the second morning at the hospital.
Unread 02-21-2010, 09:20 PM

i took my shower the day after surgery..that's all the energy I had. Right after I got out of the shower the doctor shows up and asks if I want to leave..I said No..I wanna sleep tonight.
Unread 02-21-2010, 09:51 PM

Thanks for all the info. I can't remember what I did after my c section, that was 18 years ago.
Unread 02-22-2010, 08:52 AM

You should be able to shower as soon as you're able to get up, which is generally the next day. I wasn't able to shower because there wasn't a shower in my room, only a bathtub. Apparently, there were only two rooms on the floor with showers. There was a bathroom that had a shower in it, but the hot water didn't work in it. Gotta love the VA healthcare system!

I brought some "no rinse shampoo" with me though, thankfully. I hate my hair dirty, and I knew it would make me feel better to have clean hair. I had hubby put it in my hair for me, then put it in a ponytail on the top of my head and just didn't worry about it after that. I was only in the hospital for 2 days. I showered as soon as I got home!!! I even shaved after my shower on the couch.
Unread 02-22-2010, 11:03 AM

Nurses offered a shower the day after surgery (less than 24 hrs) but I wasn't up to it and took one at home 2 days later making sure my husband was in the house because I needed help occassionally, he helped me lift my legs in and out of the shower.
Unread 02-22-2010, 06:05 PM

I was offered one the morning after the TAH. I took one, but was a bit shaky and DH had to help hold the shower wand and hand me things. I HIGHLY recommend that you take a big, fluffy towel from home---the nurse gave me two to use, and they were tiny and scratchy and I had a hard time getting dried off.
Unread 02-22-2010, 07:34 PM

I was allowed to shower two days later from my TAH while I was still in the hospital but I chose to wait until I got home. I felt more comfortable in my own shower and I really did not have any problems.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register