nervous & excited, waiting for authorization from ins, hysterectomy date is coming soon | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

nervous & excited, waiting for authorization from ins, hysterectomy date is coming soon nervous & excited, waiting for authorization from ins, hysterectomy date is coming soon

Unread 07-12-2016, 07:32 PM
nervous & excited, waiting for authorization from ins, hysterectomy date is coming soon

Today I got the phone call from hospital for my pre- op blood work.
It was automated and said I could eat and drink normally. what threw me off was that it said it will take between 1 to 2 hours to complete. Am I missing something, I thought it would be a blood draw and that's it. Either way it has to be done.

Also I am still waiting for insurance to give me my authorization code for my PET Scan. The last time i called my Oncologist she said it was under medical review. should I worry about not being able to do this pre surgery. My date is Tuesday 26, 2016 and it's coming up.

My family and friend's think i'm weird also because I am nervous and happy at the same time for this surgery. One to get the cancer out and 2 (more happy about the 2nd half ) that I will finally stop bleeding. I am severely anemic & have been bleeding since the first week of March (still bleeding now and it hasn't stopped since it started). I can't wait for the day to come that I will not have to wear heavy pads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2016, 07:43 PM
Re: nervous & excited, waiting for authorization from ins, date is coming soon

Hi there! Normally hospital pre-op is more than just blood work. You will talk to a nurse and go through your health history, as well as talk to the anesthesiologist about your options for anesthesia. If you had surgery in the past they will ask you a couple of questions about that.

Your doc'so office sounds like they are on top of insurance and advocating for you. I would just follow up with them in the next week if you don't hear anything.

Relief is in sight. Best wishes for your upcoming surgery!
Unread 07-12-2016, 07:48 PM

Hi whijess03 -

You are not weird! Your mix of emotions, and your emotional are all normal. Even though it is solving a problem, it is still a tough surgery to face and digest.

If your pre-op is like mine, they do way more than a blood draw. For me, I did blood work, urinalysis, EKG, height, weight, BP - it was like having a mini-intense physical. I also did insurance paperwork and hospital particulars.

Sometimes the insurance wheels grind away, and it can be frustrating. Your doctor's office should stay on top of this.

Just . Your surgery date will be here before you know it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2016, 07:50 PM

Thank you.
Unread 07-12-2016, 09:15 PM

(((whijess03))) Yes, the pre-op might include blood work, EKG and/or chest x-ray, depending on your particular medical history. The nurse will go over a list of questions, so everyone is on the same page. I didn't meet my anesthesiologist until the day of surgery when he came in to start my IV (veins were poor due to nothing by mouth and an afternoon surgery) and give pre-op relaxing meds.

My rad/hyst was due to cervical adenocarcinoma, and I didn't have a PET prior to surgery. From my experience here, most byn cancer ladies don't. However, I did have CT's of the chest/abdomen/pelvis prior to surgery. So, that might be another option for you, although there's still time for the PET, if it's approved. I did have PET/CT scans for the first five years following surgery to check for recurrence.

We do have a Cancer Concerns forum you're welcome to check out as well, if you'd like. There's lots of great information and experienced ladies who'll help along your journey.

Sending hugs and all good thoughts your way. You CAN do this!
Unread 07-12-2016, 09:21 PM
nervous & excited, waiting for authorization from ins, hysterectomy date is coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by monami View Post
(((whijess03))) Yes, the pre-op might include blood work, EKG and/or chest x-ray, depending on your particular medical history. The nurse will go over a list of questions, so everyone is on the same page. I didn't meet my anesthesiologist until the day of surgery when he came in to start my IV (veins were poor due to nothing by mouth and an afternoon surgery) and give pre-op relaxing meds.

My rad/hyst was due to cervical adenocarcinoma, and I didn't have a PET prior to surgery. From my experience here, most byn cancer ladies don't. However, I did have CT's of the chest/abdomen/pelvis prior to surgery. So, that might be another option for you, although there's still time for the PET, if it's approved. I did have PET/CT scans for the first five years following surgery to check for recurrence.

We do have a Cancer Concerns forum you're welcome to check out as well, if you'd like. There's lots of great information and experienced ladies who'll help along your journey.

Sending hugs and all good thoughts your way. You CAN do this!
Awesome thank you.
Unread 07-12-2016, 09:46 PM

My pleasure. You're going to do great!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register