nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-01-2006, 03:54 AM
nervous

My surgery is on March 1st. Exactly 4 weeks away. I am having a vaginal hysterectomy. I am extremely nervous but trying to show everyone it is no big deal. I keep thinking it is just like natural childbirth. I have had 4 kids. I just don't know what to expect. I have been on birth control pills for 2 years to regulate my periods. I do have fibroid tumors also. My bleeding is not as bad as what some women are saying. My uterus just keeps getting larger.

My doctor said 1 night in the hospital, so it shouldn't be a big deal right? So I am thinking, I can get back to school, I teach 1st grade, quicker than what I am or my prinicpal thinks. Right?

I guess I just am asking for more information on the whole process and the after effects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2006, 06:03 AM
Dont be nervous!

Hello, I am one week post op. I had abdominal hysterctomy for a prolapsed uterus and fibroids.
Since my surgery was not vaginally, I will not be able to compare my case with yours exactly, but I will say I believe the vaginally route is much less invasive. I spent two nights in the hospital, and since coming home, I spend all day between the couch and the bed, I can get up and down by myself, and I have had bm's and can pass urine fine. Pain is minimal now, I only take Advil, but that's because I dont tolerate narcotics well.
Give yourself a few weeks to rest , Good luck, Linda
Unread 02-01-2006, 06:19 AM
nervous

I had a TVH and believe me it is a big deal. I had 2 children and it didn't feel the same to me, everyone is different. When you had your children you had at least 6 wks. off work right. Well you can expect about the same for your hyster. Like the other sister said your pretty much going from the bed to the couch. Somdays you will feel really good. You just have to be careful and not over do it. I did and paid for it later. So just listen to your doc. and not push yourself. Take the full time off that you need, so you can heal right the first time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2006, 06:26 AM
nervous

Hi, I didn't have a vaginal either but I know that a hysterectomy is major surgery no matter which procedure is used. You have just one chance to heal properly, please don't try to rush it and risk possible complications. My DD is a teacher too and she complains about being tired and sore from all the standing even without major surgery.Your dr should tell you how much recovery time to expect. The norm is from 6 - 8 weeks - sometimes a bit less or more depending on the person and type of hyst. Be a properly pampered princess - you derserve it! Teachers are sooo precious - no, I'm not prejudiced

Best wishes.

s
Unread 02-01-2006, 06:42 AM
nervous

I agree with J. D. (Had surgery on the same day) And teach1st, it IS a big deal honey and it is nothing like childbirth, not meaning to scare you but being realistic w/ you like I am glad people were with me. I am a teacher too and I told the school the best thing I could do is possibly come back part time after 4 weeks but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

My first outing was yesterday, a friend from church and I went to lunch and I went for a short walk( Now mind you, I'm a tuff gal) and I ended up taking a 3 hour nap.. was soooo tired. Do your research Teach and here's a cool website to go to, it is graphic so beware, but very informative! www.pelvicfloor.com

Best of luck to you and remember, waiting is the hardest part! If you need any other advice (from my point of view anyway..lol) instant message me on this site and I'll give you my e-mail addy!

God Bless you abundantly!
Skye
Unread 02-01-2006, 06:49 AM
nervous

I had a SAH BSO and I had a work collegue tell me it was like a caeserian. It is not even close to that. They took a baby out when she had her caeserian, they have taken out all my reproductive organs, and it is a vast empty place that has to resettle and realign itself where the organs once were. I am very pleased with my progress but I know that it is going to take time to heal. Best wishes to you- Hugs- cath
Unread 02-01-2006, 09:55 AM
nervous

I think sometimes when you live with chronic pain as many of us do, it might be easier to deal with the pain of surgery because we're used to it.

However, since you are a teacher, you really want to make sure you are fully healed. I teach elementary school also and believe that you need a lot of stamina, especially for first grade! I think first grade is the most physically challenging. My students are doing fine in my absence. You have to take care of yourself first so you'll be able to care well for your family and students.

Agree to take the maximum time and if you feel better you can go back sooner. That's what I did and I'm glad I did. You can't predict how you will heal.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register