Question about bowels and about incision pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about bowels and about incision pain Question about bowels and about incision pain

Unread 07-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Question about bowels and about incision pain

Hi all,

I had my LAVH on Friday 7/24, my brother b-day. Happy b-day bro! Any way, I woke up in pain after 2.5 hours in surgery, and was given something liquid in my IV. Pain over all since being home, left 7/25 in the afternoon, but my biggest problem is bloating and pain during urination and with my mimimal bowel movements. How long does it take for the digestive system to kick back in?

I know on one of my three incissions I have quiet a bit of pain. This is the location where scar tissue was removed. Does that go away soon?

Best of luck to you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Re: Question about bowels and about incision pain

It can take a few days and even weeks for our bodies to adjust to having had a major surgery!

Have you talked to your doctor about the bloating and pain with urination? It is not uncommon to end up with a UTI after surgery. The bowel can be a bit sluggish for a bit and pain medications can cause issues for the bowels, too. Your doctor may have some helpful suggestions that would be safe for you!

As your incision heals, it should feel better!

I hope you start to feel better soon! Take care of yourself and be sure to check with your doctor about any of your questions and concerns!

Unread 07-29-2009, 12:25 AM

I had daVinci surgery and 4 incisions . . . had my 6 weeks post op yesterday and doctor said they all looked good. I have watched them get better one by one and noticed the difference in them as I was healing. It does get better . . . and unfortunately, there is no norm, as we all heal differently. Hang in there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2009, 10:52 AM

Thank you so much for the feedback. Feeling a little better today. I'm trying hard to ween off the meds. My Dr. said it was ok for me to hot tub and drive on day 3 after my surgery. This seems really soon to me. Any feedback? I've just been taking it easy.

I get very painful cramping in my bowel and lower pelvic area when I urinate or try to have a BM. I'm seeing my Dr. tomorrow and will go over this with her.

On another note, my lab tests took prior to surgery showed very low levels of B-12. They want additional testing to see what's going on. Of course I'm concerned.

Thanks for the input.

BTW- They took the ovaries as well.

Wendy
Unread 07-29-2009, 12:18 PM

On day 3 I was still in the hospital! I didn't get permission to drive until week 3 - are you sure he didn't say week? Listen to your body - if you don't feel up to driving, etc. don't. We all heal at different paces. I'm just back to work (10 weeks), and other women were back at 6 weeks. Your doctor is very optimistic!
Unread 07-29-2009, 12:24 PM

My doctor told me that it's very normal to have pain during urination & BM because they go in and literally move everything around during surgery in addition to taking things out. 2 big recommendations I have: 1) Drink PLENTY of water, I'm talking 100 oz. or more a day, 2) Make sure you get good fiber intake through your diet or ask your dr about taking metamucil once a day. If you're not used to taking in very much fiber, bring it into your diet gradually to avoid horrendous gas & discomfort which you don't need on top of everything else.

This is the 2nd time I've been through this so I'm following my 2 suggestions just as I did in 2005 & it makes things a lot easier. I'm in my 3rd week post op this time & still experiencing some pain during urination & BM but it's getting better. This time, I had still not had a BM 4 days post op so I had my husband go get me a fleet enema. That resolved that problem & I've had regular BMs ever since. It may not be the thing to do for others, but it worked great for me.

Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck & take care of yourself!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register