pre-op panic | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-09-2001, 06:58 PM
pre-op panic

I am scheduled to have a TAH on 2/28...I am 40 years old and have three children. I have suffered with endometriosis for nine years, since the birth of my last child. I have always "threatened" to have a hysterectomy but this is the first time I have a scheduled date for an operation. After years of drugs, surgery, alternative therapy and meditation, I feel it is time to recapture my life. Unfortunately, I am beginning to experience panic as the date approaches. I ask myself, "Am I copping out?" I had an emergency C-section with my last child and the recovery, though difficult as I had three little children at home and little help at the time, was manageable. I guess I need to hear other success stories of decent recoveries. I know I have a 10% chance of experiencing endo again after surgery, that is depressing. And lastly, why is it, the last period of my life, was just a scant..with minimal pain the whole month. The only thing I can relate it to is it never fails, the day I am scheduled to get my hair cut, is the day I like my hair!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2001, 07:02 PM
pre-op panic

I can certainly relate to all your worries. I had TAH-BSO on 5-2-00 due to severe endo that I fought for 10yrs. I can honestly say that I have never felt better. I have NO regrets-Life is good!!!!! Hang in there it really does get better. My best to you for a quick and healthy recovery.

God Bless,
Teresa
Unread 02-09-2001, 07:46 PM
pre-op panic

I to am scared! I am schuled for a TVH (leave ovaries)if it is possible then I would have to a TAH. I am 29 years old and have fibroid tumors and a very plump uterus. That is why I have a feeling I will have to have it done abdominally because of my plump uterus. I already have 3 children and had my tubes tied after my third. I am realy scared. I have never had to have surgery for anything. Just been in the hospital to have my kids. I will be having my on the 5th of March. Thanks!

Janet
TVH or TAH on 3/5/01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2001, 10:18 PM
Recovery

I had a TAH w/bladder suspension on 1/17/01. I am 3 weeks and 2 days post op now. I also had one ovary removed. The recovery is slow, you will be sore. I am lucky to have my husband and son taking care of me. I am now going up and down stairs, driving and walking down to get the mail everyday. You just have to take one day at a time. All my friends who have had a hyster said they never felt better and should have done it ages ago. My soreness will pass. You will be fine, just take it easy and only do what you can. Listen to what your doc says and most definitely listen to your body.
Unread 02-10-2001, 05:16 AM
I KNOW it's scary

Hi all

I KNOW it's scary and just saying not to worry probably isn't very helpful. However, I had TAH/BSO on January 29 and I can assure you that it was never scary, never unmanageable, never ever a bad experience. The procedure in the hospital, from beginning to end, is designed to make you comfortable and to keep you comfortable. This is not to say you will be pain free, but even when my pain meds wore off completely just hours after my surgery and it took two hours to get that taken care of, I did NOT have intolerable pain.

The recuperation period will definitely be longer than for a c-section, since they take out more than just a baby on this one! They also manipulate a few more things, but you will be surprised to find out how manageable the whole thing is. We all heal differently, and I was not one who was able to hop out of bed on the second or third day. I didn't come home for a week and I'm still laying pretty low. However, I only take Tylenol plain for pain and I don't even take that every 4 hours anymore.

So for what it's worth . . . if you can relax about this, it would be entirely appropriate.

Best wishes to you!!
Unread 02-10-2001, 05:46 AM
pre-op panic

I to am scared and my surgey is Feb.20.It was postponed once due to low blood count and I thought it seemed like forever till Feb.20 would come and now it seems to be coming fast.My secret is to keep busy.My family has planned a special weekend for me the weekend before so I will be busy and having fun.Everyone says the wait is the worst part and I am counting on that and claiming mm life verse daily.I can do all things thru Christ who streaghtens me.Good luck you will be in my prayers
Unread 02-10-2001, 06:35 AM
pre-op panic

I am 40 with two kids and had a TVH on Dec 5th. Except for the flu which I cannot seem to get rid of, I am feeling pretty good now. Recovery has had a few bumps -- a lot of bladder spasms and some unbelievable gas, but all in all, I think it has gone pretty smoothly. I had fibroids, abnormal bleeding (I got my period 2 times a month and my last period was the worst I ever had-it lasted 12 days). My quality of life was really not too great given the bleeding and all going on. I think things will be much improved now. I go back to the doctor on Monday and hope I will be cleared for all activities (including "you know what" !) so I can really resume all aspects of my life.

I am very glad I had the surgery. I was scared to death. I had never had any surgical procedure (except my tonsils at age 3) and only had been in the hospital to have my kids. I was very afraid of having to be in the hospital and it is not an experience I would like to repeat, but it was tolerable. I had a looney roommate one night (no private rooms in the hospital) and I had a bit of a problem with pain control right after surgery, but that was fixed up in under an hour.

I really feel that waiting is truly the worst of it; it is so anxiety provoking that I felt I would jump out of my skin. Recovery had some anxious moments (like would my bladder ever get back to normal, and yes it has) but basically recovery is just spending a lot of time doing very little and relying on others to help. Get organized about who will help to do what, make lists (that helped calm me down) of who is taking the kids and who is bringing food, etc. I worried terribly about my kids, moreso than myself, prior to surgery, and everything worked out fine for them.

Good luck everyone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register