How much advise did hospital give you? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much advise did hospital give you? How much advise did hospital give you?

Unread 02-26-2011, 09:04 AM
Re: How much advise did hospital give you?

Thanks for the replies everyone, sounds like a mixed bag really.

My hysterectomy was because of periods and thing people don't think it's a biggy because I haven't been ill - I work in a male dominated environment and complaining about periods doesn't cut it.

I'm fortunate that I can have up to 6 months off if needed though so no need to rush back to work.

All the advise I've gotten has either been from friends who've had op or from this forum.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2011, 09:21 AM

I'm! also in the UK, and even though I went privately, I received very little information about post op - just discharged with some painkillers and a follow up appointment at 6 weeks. my consultant popped in for about 3 minutes when I was still coming round from the anaesthesia, to say all had gone well, but I actually have very little idea what he did/found, and must try to get more info at the 6 week check.

thank goodness for this site!
Unread 02-26-2011, 09:27 AM

My surgeon basically told me to do nothing and relax for the next 2 weeks, no lifting anything heavier than a phone book. My 1st appt is 2 weeks. I was ashamed with the nursing care I received at the hospital with being a nurse myself I couldn't believe it. I came home with a catheter and not 1 word or paperwork on instruction. I even had to ask for items to go home with. Not once in the 4 days I was in the hospital did they offer to change my bed which had blood on it not only from my pad they never checked or from my iv that started leaking all over. I had to ask on my 3rd day when I was up and around. They never offered to help me with a shower. Sorry off on a rant, I just still can't believe it I am amazed.
Unread 02-26-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist44 View Post
My surgeon basically told me to do nothing and relax for the next 2 weeks, no lifting anything heavier than a phone book. My 1st appt is 2 weeks. I was ashamed with the nursing care I received at the hospital with being a nurse myself I couldn't believe it. I came home with a catheter and not 1 word or paperwork on instruction. I even had to ask for items to go home with. Not once in the 4 days I was in the hospital did they offer to change my bed which had blood on it not only from my pad they never checked or from my iv that started leaking all over. I had to ask on my 3rd day when I was up and around. They never offered to help me with a shower. Sorry off on a rant, I just still can't believe it I am amazed.
I wasn't pleased with the nursing either. That night time crew was horrible. In my morphine stupor I had to ask them to change the bloody bed pad. The intern nurse got impatient with me trying to get back in bed and actually PUSHED my shoulder to get me to roll in fast enough. Later,the intern was actually going to be allowed to take out the IV at 7am, and I flatly said "No, that's not happening." She had seemed clueless on everything all night. Then grumpy supervising nurse took it out and she was peeved at me.... Fortunately the morning shift nurse was nicer, but over worked. I was unattended to go make my 3 tries at 400cc of urine by myself, towing the IV pole.

Not to mention I made 3 nurse calls during the night to get the air cooler in my room. Never happened. When they took the leg pumps off, they had to POUR THE sweat into a bed pan...Hubby came in in the morning really upset at the temperature. It was about 78 with no circulation. Morning nurse had no problem getting it fixed.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register