Anyone just have dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB)? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone just have dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB)? Anyone just have dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB)?

Unread 08-04-2003, 01:13 PM
Anyone just have dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB)?

My doctor can find no reason for my dysfunctional bleeding. It's not particular painful or heavy, it just lasts way too long. I had an ultrasound, but it came back normal. They did not find any fibroids. I've had three c-sections and my gallbladder removed, so I believe there is a good chance it could be adnemyosis, but we don't know that for sure. The only diagnosis I have is dysfunctional uterine bleeding. My doctor wants to do a hysterectomy and leave the ovaries. There is no sign of endometriosis. I guess I'm concerned about not really having a diagnosis. If I knew it was adnemyosis, I would definately have the hysterectomy. I also have an enlarged uterus. Anyone have a hysterectomy without a definative diagnosis? I am not in pain, but this is severly annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2003, 01:33 PM

Lanie,

The problem with adenomyosis is that sometimes it's impossible to diagnose until they do the biopsy. My last sonogram showed what "appears to be" adenomyosis and "possibly some small fibroids" on the back side of my uterus. The DUB that I'd been having for so long has gotten to the point where it is interfering with work, with home and is starting to reflect on my general attitude because I feel awful most of the time. Just in the past few months, I've gone from uncomfortable a lot of the time, with some pain, to pain a lot of the time. I'm uncomfortable all the rest of the time.

The doctor was concerned about not having a diagnosis...d&c came back normal results. Paps are normal and endometrial biopsy came back fine. When the radiologist said it was possible adenomyosis, I was thrilled to have at least something to work with. The doctor and I agreed that I needed to consider "quality of life." I am not taking the idea of this surgery lightly, but I am so ready for my castle date...I will have, hopefully, only one more visit from Aunt Flo.

Only you can decide what you are willing and able to live with. It isn't an easy decision. Read, read, read everything you can. There is a plethora (my big word for the day) of info here on this site and it is so helpful when you're making your decision. There is also unbelievable support available here.

I wish you all the best.

Cat
Unread 08-04-2003, 01:49 PM

Melanie,

I know just where you are coming from. My diagnosis is dub as well. Been through all of the tests, nothing found except that my uterus produces too much lining every month. My doctor was able to get my insurance company to okay the hyster because of the severe anemia the dub is causing. It has been really hard for me to come to terms with having a hyster just because of really heavy bleeding, especially when I read about so many people who have one because of cancer and fibroids, endometriosis, etc., I guess I think sometimes that what I suffer through is pretty mild in comparison. But in the end I'm doing it because of the lack of quality of life I'm having. When you are confined to the area between your bed and the bathroom for at least a week every month and then in your bed because your iron levels are so low you feel like you can't move for the rest of the month, well I guess somethings gotta change. And what a blessing that there is an option and that I don't have to spend the rest of my life suffering like this. I feel very grateful that I can have the surgery and then get on with enjoying my life!!

Anyway, in the end you've just got to research, talk to your doctor and do what's right for you. Good luck to you in your decision!!

Michele
LSH on Aug. 6, 2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2003, 01:59 PM

Melanie

To ease your mind you can and should seek a second opinion, it is sometimes good to get another perspective. DUB can be caused by things that normal testing does not pick up and the true answer is only available once the hyst is done and the path reports come back.

all the best,

Donna
Unread 08-04-2003, 02:20 PM

Hi Melanie,

I just wanted to tell you that nothing ever showed up when they ran tests on me until I went in for a hysteroscopy, (spelling). That showed small fibroids. When I had my hyst I had many many things wrong that never showed up on my 3 sets of ultra sounds. I would get a second opinion. I had irregular bleeding and spotting but I had a lot of pain to go with it.

When they opened me I had endo, adenomyosis (spelling again), cysts, fibroids, polyps, adhesions, scar tissue, fluids, divertulosis, diverticulitis and we wonder why my uterus was enlarged.

If you aren't having any pain maybe you can put up with the bleeding. It may be a part of menapause, but I know how annoying it is to wear pads and plugs all the time. I hope you get better soon. Take care of yourself.....Paula

SAH/BSO, BOWEL RESECTION, 4/8/02
Unread 08-04-2003, 02:56 PM

Thanks everyone for your words. It's not menopause, as I am only 33. I have a long time to go to put up with 14 day periods. Sometimes I feel like, just put up with it. It's been going on for two years and I'm sick of having to put up with it. My quality of life is going downward, so I guess I should take that into consideration. I haven't hit rock bottom or I guess I would have already scheduled the surgery. I think the only thing holding me back is the 6 week recovery and not being able to lift my small children. I have three kids--2, 3, and 6.
Unread 08-04-2003, 03:12 PM
Me too (dub)

Hi there, I'm 42 with no previous problems with bleeding, and all of a sudden one day it started and now 24 days later it still hasn't stopped. I am going to have the hyster this Fri. Aug 8. The Dr. thinks this is the only way to stop it. He said my uterus was thick and bulky, I have had 2 children and 1 of them a C-section and I have had 8 miscarriages. So I guess it is time to do something. I have been unable to leave the house without the risk of making a great big mess. I hate to be confined, but I really don't have a choice at this point. I was told that I was post men., and now this. I am scared, but I keep thinking, No Nore Aunt Flo. lol. I hope things work out great for you. Let me know how you get along. Take care and keep in touch. Betty (ShadedBlue)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register