Question - Large fibroid tumor - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question - Large fibroid tumor Question - Large fibroid tumor

Unread 07-25-2004, 05:28 PM
Question - Large fibroid tumor

Hi!
I am two and half weeks pre-op and also have a large fibroid growing OUTSIDE of my uterous on the left. I'm told they are called "penduncular" fibroids. It is about the size of a large grafpefruit. My uterous also has about 12 smaller (golf ball sized) fibroids growing inside of it, which makes my uterous measure 14 cm as opposed to the 6-8 cm it is supposed to be. Oddly enough, I have had no heavy bleeding, spotting or abnormal periods. The only "symptom" I have is that it protrudes out pretty far and I always have the "full" feeling. My doctor is unsure how he will have to make the incision (vertical or bikini cut) due to the size of the "duplex" I seem to be growing. I've named him Wilson (as in the castaways movie soccer ball)!!!! Funny how they become a "part" of you that seems to require some sort of "identity". Pretty strange! Anyway, I wish you the best of luck...personally, I'm scared to death, but this site has helped tremendously...excellent feedback for nearly every topic. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2004, 07:34 PM

Take care Karly... we'll be thinking & praying for you... and kind of envying you!!!

Only five more days for me!!! HEE HEE HEE!!!
Unread 07-25-2004, 09:20 PM

I saw earlier where someone wasn't going to be allowed to see or even have her uterus photographed -- I'm really surprised. I really think you have a right to see what they are removing from you! What are they afraid of?

I sheepishly asked my doctor for a photo or to be able to see my uterus, and she said, "Sure! Just remind me on the day of surgery. We'll take lots of pictures for you."

Just my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2004, 03:01 PM

Gosh, I'm glad I read some of these posts.

I've had bulk and pressure symptoms and back pain, particularly when walking. Today, I had to take my DD to the mall to do some back-to-school shopping. We did go from one end to the other and back, but I think we only shopped two hours. The back pain I was expecting, but not the mild shortness of breath. It was enough to notice and REALLY worried me.

I'll be sure to bring it up with my gyn surgeon at my preop visit when he is checking my heart and lungs, etc., again. Also, I've had regular bloodwork and will have bloodwork and an EKG on the day of my preop.

I hope the shortness of breath is okay-seems like I'm not the only one who has that with fibroids. My DH says it's because my uterus is 4-months in size and I'm not used to mall shopping with a young teenager!
Unread 08-20-2004, 09:33 PM

Last week I finally decided to go to doctor to find out what was wrong with me. I flopped on to the bed and it felt like I was laying on a grapefruit. I have not been to doctor in about a year, son was in serious car accident and was taking care of him instead of myself. Anyway, I have been bothered by heavy/irregular periods since I was 14 and it has continued my whole life. Last six months have felt very tired, aching back, severe cramping, constipation, hip pain, bleeding after intercourse and after bowel movement and weight gain. I had in the last year and 1/2 lost 35 lbs. to gain back 15 in last 6 months or so. After pelvic exam doctor said that there is a 'growth" about the size of a cantalope in me. Am scheduled for sonagram, and biopsy tues. of next week. Surgery scheduled as soon as he can fit me in. Gosh am hoping to feel better soon. Have not been able to tear myself away from this forum since I found out. You are all so helpful. thank you for all your answers and compassion
Unread 08-20-2004, 10:31 PM

Hang in there Sherem! I know just what you're going through! This is an awesome place to come for comfort, commiseration & info!!

Do look into all your options if it turns out to be a large fibroid. I looked into UFE, myomectomy & hyst... It's important for you to know what's available and what's right for you.

Take care,
Lisa
Unread 09-04-2004, 03:39 AM

Hi Ladies,
I had to go back and read this thread...to remind myself that my fibroid is really gone now. I remember being so scared before surgery, and was so glad I could come here and ask questions.
Well, I did not loose any weight after surgery, but at least the tumor and bleeding are all gone forever! I have been really down,
but that just cheered me up! I guess I had forgotten so soon what I have to be thankful for.
Take care everyone, I am so thankful we have each other.
OH! My dr did take a picture...he put a 12 inch ruler in front of it and it was as long and tall as the ruler...he said it looks like a very large ham. YUK! I will probably never eat ham again!
Unread 09-04-2004, 08:09 AM

I felt like I was reading about myself. My fibroids have made my uterus as large as a 16-week pregnancy. I've never been pregnant,so the Dr. made a gesture that was about the size of a honey dew melon. I do not know if you would gain weight because of the surgery, but if you are like me, you would have to at least lose the weight of the uterus.

How has your recovery gone? I am scheduled for surgery in Aiken, SC for 11/8. I am already getting antsy. I'll probably be crazy and have run off all my friends and family by the time it comes around, but I think I'll be ready for it.
Unread 09-04-2004, 08:49 AM

Hi Jbk,

My recovery was pretty uneventful. I am very large, so I took shots of a drug to prevent blood clots for two weeks, which wasn't too horrible. I also came home with a drain because of the large incision I had -- that was a pain in the rear, but not painful or anything.

All in all, I'd say having the hysterectomy wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, even with a large vertical incision. The pain I has post-op was controlled quickly and efficiently, I spent 2 1/2 days in the hospital, and my time at home has been very nice.

The biggest complaint I (and most other women) have post-op is the exhaustion. I quickly learned that I had a cycle of every other day evergy, followed by exhaustion. I quickly learned to plan for that cycle and everything was fine. Around 3-4 weeks I started trying to increase my activities to every day, and for the most part have been very successful, but I've learned to listen to my body, quit when I find my energy running on empty, and head for home to recharge the batteries.

Good luck with your surgery, it really is so much better to be on this side of the fence.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register