How much can I be up and about? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much can I be up and about? How much can I be up and about?

Unread 12-01-2002, 03:13 PM
How much can I be up and about?

I am finally going to have my TAH/BSO in 12/10. I am very worried about laying around resting for so much time. I have Rheumatoid arthritis and any type of stress really makes every joint in my body flare up big time. After my lap in August, my flare up lasted almost 2 months (I guess it was stress on my body because I wasn't even nervous about that procedure). The more I lay around,the stiffer and more painful I will get. I'll be all locked up like the tin man on the wizard of oz. I take 10 meds a day, and I've been on steroids (prednisone) for years, so my Dr said l will heal more slowly.

So.......my question is, how much will I be able to be up walking/moving around, and how soon? I know everyone is different, but on an average -- I really need some input on this. I am in fairly good shape -- my sister & I walk 3-6 mi. 3-4 times per week. Now with the snow it will be harder to get around too.

I'm very independent and don't let much stop me, but if I'm not moving, I won't be able to even roll out of bed! I have a very supportive family, and I'll have plenty of help for as long as I need it, but I'm not one to lean on anyone either. Any input any of you can give me is greatly appreciated. One less thing to think about.

Thanks,

Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2002, 04:17 PM

You'll probably be up to short walks - like up and down the hall - right away. The day after I came home (and most days after) I walked out to the barn (250'?) and back a couple of times. Within a week I was puttering up and down the block, and at 2 weeks I was going about 1/2 mile round trip. Around 3 weeks I did a harder 2 mile walk, and that was a bit much (last half was uphill, on a hot day).

I was also able to play on our recumbant exercise bike - basically just sitting there making the wheel go around slowly, with no resistance, to keep the blood flowing. Maybe there are some exercises you can do like that - very low effort, but keep the joints moving.

My advice would be to start really easy, and increase gradually (don't jump from 1/2 mile to 2 miles, like I did). Don't get far from home - you'll probably feel fine, then get tired suddenly. Do laps up and down the block, then around the block... Don't head out 1 mile, then find yourself exhausted far from home.

Can you do exercises with light bands (rubber "therapy bands")? Again, low effort - just movement.
Unread 12-01-2002, 05:24 PM
Passive exercise

I have Fibromyalgia and need to keep moving, too. I wasn't as quick to bounce back as some people are but I had somebody help me by doing passive exercises. That was a big help to me.

Joselle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2002, 05:29 PM

The general rule of thumb seems to be 1/2 of what you think you can do. Start slowly with very short walks and gradually build up to longer ones, but you have to be REAL careful walking in the winter with the ice and snow on the ground, a slip can hurt bad enough normally, but when you've got those stitches and healing going on inside it would be really bad!
Unread 12-01-2002, 06:57 PM

Thanks to everyone who answered my post. It really helps to have some kind of idea before I go in. At least I can put that out of my mind now.

Deb
Unread 12-01-2002, 07:12 PM

Hi Deb. I will be going on on the 10th as well. I am having a LAVH, keeping my ovaries.

Does the heating pad help you? It seems to be the only thing that helps me, even more so than medications.

To the sister that was diagnosed with fibromyalgia (sp)--what has this been like for you? I was recently diagnosed with that.

Deb--I use a menthol aromatherapy muscle rub--I think it helps me because I feel like I am doing something special for myself and it feels so good to rub those tender spots.

My physical therapist recently gave me a "tens' gadget. It sends out electrical impulses and this occupies the nerves from processing the pain. They have a setting on there that mimics the heartbeats and supossedly this helps with healing and mobility. My insurance covered mine, it costs $80.00 and well worth it! Like I said often I don't have relief with medications, but do with the heating pad and this wonderful little gadget.

Take care!
Jen
Unread 12-01-2002, 07:23 PM

Hi Deb,

The best rule is Rule #1 : Listen To Your Body. You will know when too much is too much. Small walks around the house in the beginning are really helpful to you in so many ways. Don't push yourself, take your time. You certainly won't be "laid up" the whole time... in fact, they get you up and moving in the hospital! It you star to feel like you're "seizing up", take a wee walk. I wish you every success for your surgery hon.

Unread 12-02-2002, 12:56 AM

Thanks for everyone's input. I do use a heating pad frequently for my side & back pain from endo. I'm sure I'll use it for everything when I'm healing. I think that "tens" thing sounds good, I'll ask my doctor about something like that.

As long as I know I can be up taking some walks I think it will help alot.

Debbie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register