surgery date on 09-23 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery date on 09-23 surgery date on 09-23

Unread 09-11-2010, 11:14 PM
surgery date on 09-23

I now know will have full hysterectomy 09-23. It has happened so fast...only over a week since I even knew all this would happen. I do not seem to have much family support-they all seem to avoid the other thing. I live alone but they are 1.5 away. I am surprised at that. Is this common?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2010, 07:05 AM
Re: surgery date on 09-23

I am having surgery on 9/23 as well. Sorry to hear that your family does not seem supportive. Could they be in shock about your surgery? Can you sit down and just talk with them about how you are feeling and tell them you will need their help? This will be my 3rd surgery. I am getting my last ovary taken out. Luckily my family "knows the drill" about how much help I will need during my 6 week recovery. If you can, get additional help from friends or church group--the more help the better! Good luck!
Unread 09-12-2010, 07:43 AM

Yes, it could be that the family is also in a state of shock. I think it's imperative that you call a family meeting. Tell them that you will seriously need their help and support, especially after your surgery. Then let them know that they are free to ask any questions they may have. Perhaps have them write them down (just like we did in sex ed) anonymously, if need be.

There is no doubt that you will need help when you come home. How about a friend?

Please keep us posted and know we are here if you need some shoulders.

{{hugs}}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2010, 10:33 AM

I think this is such a hard thing for people to understand. That's why this site is a blessing. My family doesn't really get it or care either. My partner thankfully understands and even better after a long discussion. Make sure to set things up so it will be easy for you to do things on your own. Will anyone come and help you at least during the first couple days? I find even my girlfriends don't really know how to talk about it and don't want to. It's just something that people don't talk about.

You need to talk about it though, so please use this site to find support. It's been a god send to me in that regard. My partner got tired of listening to me and he wasn't helping anyway since he can't offer any support or advice. The ladies here have all been there or are going there and they are the best.

I'm sorry this has happened so fast. I've had a year to think about it and now three months to wait. Having this dropped on you I'm sure cannot feel good. Thinking of you.
Unread 09-12-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinikia3 View Post
I now know will have full hysterectomy 09-23. It has happened so fast...only over a week since I even knew all this would happen. I do not seem to have much family support-they all seem to avoid the other thing. I live alone but they are 1.5 away. I am surprised at that. Is this common?
Is your family normally this distant or are they in shock that you need major surgery? If this is their normal behavior do you have a friend that can help you out with your recovery? I know the hospital asked me if I would need any assistance (like Meals on Wheels) when I was doing my intake. Are you involved in a church? There may be a group of ladies that can take turns to help you out.

I will be thinking of you.
Unread 09-12-2010, 11:14 AM

I'm scheduled for my hysterectomy on 9/23 as well! I'll be thinking of you and hope that you have a successful surgery and a speedy recovery! I agree with others that you should try to talk to your family and hopefully they'll begin to come around. It's also a good idea to check with your friends...maybe they can help out a bit.

Please keep us posted!
Sending hugs your way!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register