adenomyosis | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-29-2007, 04:55 PM
adenomyosis

I have been having painful and heavy periods for several years now. To make a long story short, I was diagnosed with adenomyosis when I had a laproscopy and hysteroscopy performed last week. I have read that this can cause painful periods. The problem I am having is that for the last four months or so I have been in pain on a daily basis. It feels like I am having menstrual cramps in my lower back and pelvic region, but it feels like there is a knife stuck on my lower left pelvic area and the pain often radiates down to my vaginal area and leg. Has anyone else experienced daily pain with adenomyosis?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2007, 05:06 PM
adenomyosis

We have many threads on the site discussing adenomyosis so you might want to do a search for "adenomyosis" and/or "adeno." Many women with adeno have a lot of pain issues. You can learn more about adeno by reading through the Adenomyosis Resources.

in there and best wishes to you!
Unread 05-29-2007, 08:25 PM
adenomyosis

Hi riktik- I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I have severe adeno and I have daily pain too. It's no way to live, huh? I have been dealing w/ it for years and am now debating a hysterectomy. Of course- I've tried a lot of other things too. What is your doc recommending you do for pain and treatment? Hope you are feeling at least okay today.

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2007, 11:04 PM
adenomyosis

YES I have, and not anymore after my Hysterectomy. Adeno is so painful I thought I'd die some days. Good luck!
Unread 05-30-2007, 05:00 AM
adenomyosis

Hi. There are some excellent theads here regarding adeno. I too have a suspected dx of adeno....and yes, I have the same signs and symptoms that you mentioned. It is horrific to have the uterine cramping. I have cramps now and have a heating pad on me as I type. Have your spoken with your gyn regarding treatment yet? I am having a hyst to get rid of this crap. I want my life back. Take care.

Lizzie
Unread 05-30-2007, 11:03 AM
adenomyosis

Thank you for your responses. I have been curious to see if anyone else has experienced daily pain related to adeno. The nurse at my dr's office acts like I am crazy or something, like I shouldn't be in pain every day. I have a follow up with the dr. on June 11. I am going to push for a hysterectomy. I am finished having children and just want this out of me!

I haven't spoken to the dr. since my laproscopy / hysteroscopy. He spoke with my mother and husband while I was in recovery. Before the surgery they suspected endo. I also have a severly retroverted uterus. The dr. said before surgery he suspected it may be pushing on my bowels and that the ligaments were being pulled back and this may also be a great source of the pain. Anyway, yesterday I had called asking for a refill on the hydrocodone he had prescribed before surgery. I still have some of the pain pills that he prescribed after surgery, which is a mix of demerol (sp?) and fennigran (sp?). They are just so strong and keep my knocked out. I have three children and was requesting the hydrocodone to use during the day so I could be not so out of it and interact some with my kiddos. Anyway, the nurse acted like I was some kind of a drug addict off the street or something. This really offended me. She said I should not be having chronic pain and that I needed to come into the office to make sure I didn't have an infection or something. I explained that I was sure there was no infection because the incisions looked fine. This is the same pain I have been experiencing for months, it has not changed. It has actually been a bit more exaggerated since the surgery, my guess is because the poking around in there may have aggrevated it. At any rate, I went into the office and was seen by a nurse who told me to stay in bed til Friday and take antibiotics to cure any infection I may have?? I was told to take the demeral/fenegran mix until Friday; she said he gave me those to keep me in bed so I could recover well. I have no problem with this. I am just confused because they kept saying, "You shouldn't be having this type of pain." I am so frustrated!!

Anyway, I am just trying to find out if anyone else has experienced the type of pain I explained in my original message. I see that others have, therefore, I am not crazy!! Yay! Anyway, I am going to beg for a hysterectomy when I see the dr. on June 11.
Unread 05-30-2007, 08:41 PM
adenomyosis

Hi! This is my first post, so I hope I do this right! I have been having problems on and off for eight years. The pain, the cramping, the aching in the legs - it makes you feel like a crazy person, and the doctors do not take you seriously!!! Last year I had a laparoscopy where they went in to look for endometriosis ( I did have it eight years ago), and endometrial ablation for heavy bleeding, and my tubes tied. After I woke up from surgery, they said they did not find endometriosis, and they could not explain my pain, and don't forget my constant bloating!!! I currently look like I am three months pregnant!!!AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Well, I finally found a doctor that took me seriously, and sent me in for a MRI where they found focal adenomyosis. I am seriously ready for a hysterectomy, but am scared to death. Oh, the pain in my back is just like the pain of a kidney infection (I have had one of those too!) If your nurse understood that, she wouldn't be such a pain - I just think that adenomyosis is not commonly understood. It certainly doesn't make things easier on those who suffer from it!!! Good luck with everything!!!
Unread 05-30-2007, 09:07 PM
adenomyosis

Adenomyosis can cause daily pain and be horrible. everything i did hurt. I hated it. Good Luck and take care.
Hugs
Lisa
Unread 05-31-2007, 04:30 AM
adenomyosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRLTR
I just think that adenomyosis is not commonly understood. It certainly doesn't make things easier on those who suffer from it!!!
Exactly, you need to find a good doc who KNOWS about adeno. When I had no clue what was going, I was thinking it was GI related, hense being scoped on both ends, lots of lab work, stool samples etc....they were thinking IBS, IBD, Celiac disease, colitis etc.. Never had bowel issues before, never had period issues. Went to see my gyn for my annual pap & was telling him alll this. He wrote down on his pad of paper "Adenomyosis", I truly think you have this, especially due to your age & not having any issues with this PAIN/CONTRACTIONS previously. So, I went home, did a search on adeno...sure enough, found this site & there are lots of women like me who are experiencing this. Hopefully, the hyster will cease the pain/contractions. I woke up this morning at 4:10am in PAIN. Cannot wait to get it out of me.....agh!

Take care.

Lizzie
Unread 05-31-2007, 07:05 AM
adenomyosis

Hello!
I just had my TAH/BSO & they found adeno. I can assure you the pain I felt before the surgery was far worse than any post op pain that I've experienced. I am so happy to have that behind me. I could not function & was missing work & life! Post op has been a piece of cake!
Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register