I had Pre-Op today Here's my detailed questions Lab tomorrow...... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I had Pre-Op today Here's my detailed questions Lab tomorrow...... I had Pre-Op today Here's my detailed questions Lab tomorrow......

Unread 04-11-2002, 04:51 PM
I had Pre-Op today Here's my detailed questions Lab tomorrow......

Another internal !!! the 4th one since March 17th....
I had alllllll kinds of questions like the type of stitches used that desolved the best? He said he uses Vicryl stitches.........

I asked as far as lubrication in what way will that change? he said, You will no longer have the mucous like discharge like as during ovulation the change of viscosity and lubrication will come mostly form the vaginal walls slouthing off which occurs naturally along with the lubrication from the barthalen<sp? gland situated on the outside of the vagina.

I asked about since a cath. was going to be used and it's common to get urinary tract infections can he prescribe something for me just in case in advance so I can avoid it.....so he gave me a script of Macrobid (doesn't cause yeast infections!!!!)

I asked about what if the ovaries stopped working how could I tell ? he said, you'll have hot flashes mood swings and will know by the way you feel.....

I asked well do I need a hormone patch to keep this from happening until they come out of shock of the surgery? he said no not right off we want to see that they're not working clearly before HRT at all.....and they usually do not just stop working after hysterctomy with my age , they may slow down but then as the weeks pass and you heal they function normally.

I asked sometimes when I sneeze a few drops of urine escapes will they hyster fix this due to uterine presure and problems???? he said No....and asked the amt. and said if as I aged... like 10 more years just keep and eye on it I may have to have a bladder tack in the future..... he recommended kegal exercises
He also said I would feel some burning during recovery with the pain because the bladder is attached in a small area and he'll have to sepperate the uterus from the bladder but scrapping it off.....where it's attached.........

I asked will I have vaginal packing? he said no

I asked how soon after can I take a bath? he said when you feel like sitting in the tub...but only in your own house where you know what it has been cleaned with.....

I asked will epson salt help in the healing? he said no not really the incision is so deep withing the water will not really get into it to help in any way.....

I asked how long will I have a discharge from surgery? he said 2-4 weeks it's up to the individual......

I asked If I needed to drink that stuff to clean my bowels? he said no just the bedadine douche and enema the night before....

I asked can I shave myself before surgery so the nurses don't have to? he said yes.....I sked how much needed to be shaved?? he said only around the outter most opening and you really don't have to really shave just a close trim will be ok....

Are you girls shaking your head at me yet???????
I had a book of questions...naaaaaa not really but I did type a page and 1/2 !!!
He was really sweet and patient with me in relieving me of the worries. I thought I'd post what I asked and what My Dr said just in case it may help for questions to your Dr.'s.......they're ALL different so don't expect all replies will be the same tho.......

I'm doing a little bit better today. I'm just having my very last period today !!!! Finally !!!! I started Sat and stopped until today...... I'm Must just be stress !!! of why I started and stopped and started again?????

I hope this has helped relieve someone's questions..... Lab work is tomorrow at 1:00 and paper work.....
LIW MONDAY is the BIG day !
Deborah
PS Overlook my typos I'm zapped !!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2002, 06:03 PM

Wow, I'd say you did your homework! The doctor must have been VERY impressed.

You are right though, the answers you received were for YOU....each one of us will get some of the same answers but some will be very different.

Everyone needs to ask those questions and listen carefully to the answers for their own individual situation, because we are all different and our doctors are, too!

Great job with your preparation. Knowledge is THE BEST tool to keep our fears in check...you should be fearless!

Karen
Unread 04-11-2002, 06:17 PM
Awwwww thanks Karen !!

And that was actually my 2nd list.....
Took another one when knew after the laproscoy showed all the reasons for 10 long years of pain...
I hope my questions will help others ask their own Dr.'s and may possibly ease someoes mind that just comes on to read.....I don't know but from what I can tell lots of women just visit and don't put it all out there for the world to read.....I guess we're the brave helpers letting everyone know hey....this isn't a brezze to go through. It's a BIG decision and a personal decision !
LIW 3 more nights to go til MONDAY......ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
ssssssssssssssss
Deborah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2002, 05:28 AM

Great post... but I gotta ask... what are vicryl stitches? also are you taking the script to avoid uti before you actually get one, or do you have it in case you develop one. I 've been taking cranberry like crazy ... in drink and pill form to help avoid it and eating lots of yogurt... my surgery is april 23.......
best wishes and thanks for the info
Unread 04-12-2002, 06:39 AM

Oh man Deborah - thank you for posting this. This made me giggle - you're awesome! I can almost hear you saying these things, talking really fast!

I too had one and a half pages of questions!!!! Forgot to ask about the packing - I'll ask that at my pre-op. My doctor seemed baffled that I had so many questions and important ones - I got most of them from this site and had a good idea what her answers would be but it did make me feel better hearing her confirm what I have read out here. I think if you don't ask tons of questions, they don't tell you things - and it's not on purpose, I just think they do this so much, it's not such a big deal to them, not that they brush it off, please don't misunderstand me.

Any way - thanks for the great post! Good luck and take good care of yourself!

Donna
Unread 04-12-2002, 03:32 PM
Ok Lab took only 3 hours today.........

I'm tagged and ready to go for Monday!!!!!!!!! Meaning by being tagged......I have to wear a wrist band for blood type match-up.....allllllll weekend until monday!!!!!! ??????? Weird huh?
I asked about should I take any of my nerve pills the morning of surgery ? they said no....they'd put in some Versaid into my IV before I go into the OR..... either before the anitbiotic IV or after..... to calm me..... he said they don't mix to go in at the same time...........have had surgery before but there's something about the OR when I'm having surgery that makes me panic.......???????
I must be a fraidy cat !!! LOL
I'm on my worst day of my period today .......day 2 and the D&C didn't help at all ! Still bad cramps still heavy flow......so I'll be so glad when all this is over !!!!
I'm going to read the new posts.....I'll be living on here the next few days..... I LOVE you all sisters and I don't now what I'd do w/out you all !!!!!!!!!!
ssssssss
Deb
Unread 04-12-2002, 04:10 PM
PRE OP

Your post made me laugh, thanks, I needed it. I've had a rough week post op. I had Versed in the pre op holding area, too and it helped. You're normal to have fears and anxiety, despite previous surgery. It's the fear of the unknown. I was the same way. You did a great job of having questions ready to fire at your surgeon, including the Macrobid idea. I think he'll take very good care of you. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Lisa
Unread 04-12-2002, 08:46 PM
Thank you Lisa !

I feel like I've been glued to this board ! There's so much to learn and I also like to be able to reach out and help others... I'm feeling sick on my stomach every single time I eat.... I now it's nerves and I'm already on a nerve med.... Gosh the wait is sooooooo hard ! And we all are nervous of the unknown.... I think tho I've asked every question known to man about the surgery thanks to the aid of this site ! I can't believe the openess of all us sisters it is truely a God send and I will forever be eternally greatful !
I'm not sure If there is a need to give and support after I'm all healed and over this but, I'd really like to continue to give back.
Right now I'm on Workers comp and a single parent and can't afford to donate any monies at this time but, I do plan to earn a crown to be a hostess if I may???? I'm just not sure how I can do that or if I have the background to do that??? How does that happend? I'm a giver of the heart and a people person and think what you give out you get back ten fold. I want to help others.....so much so I want to get it out into the media. I am a flight attendant and have lots of time to give back but, who do I contact ???? So that's what I feel in my heart....I'm not great at typing and spelling and could use spell check but, have a nack for reaching out to people in need and have numerous awards at work for inflight excellence . So maybe I can find a way or who I need to find to be able to give back....if anyone needs me please let me know !!!!
Thanks Deborah.
oh and one last thing I'd like to inform tv stations on this newspapers and talk shows.......
Deborah
Who would I talk to on here? Does anyone know???? or do they need me or already have enough sisters??? Just curious..... I just want to give of my time........

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register