Is internal exam post-op standard care? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is internal exam post-op standard care? Is internal exam post-op standard care?

Unread 01-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Is internal exam post-op standard care?

I went for my post-op exam at 4 weeks and there was no internal exam. I don't go back again for 6 mos. I had a tah. Should I be concerned? Everything seems to be healing well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Re: Is internal exam post-op standard care?

I don't think they like to do that until, at least, 6 weeks Post op. I had my first internal exam yesterday at exactly 6 weeks. This was NOT fun. I was told that the tissues inside have not completely fused together and I have another 2 weeks of taking it easy. I said "don't worry" I don't think I ever plan to use that thing now. The exam was not comfortable so I think that the tissues in the vaginal cuff are still quite tender. I got through it tough without too much fuss and I was actually grateful to know exactly where I stand with internal healing.
Unread 01-26-2010, 01:15 PM

Thanks for your reply. I certainly don't WANT an internal exam, but just wondering if he should have checked there, since that was the only scheduled visit. He just said no intercourse for 2 more weeks. No problem there: )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2010, 07:10 AM

I am like you, I would think he would want to look inside to make sure things are healing fine. I am sure you could call them and tell them you want an exam if it makes you feel better. I havn't heard of a doc "not" doing an exam at some point in time, and def before six mths. I had one at my 6 wks post op visist. Take care
Unread 01-27-2010, 11:20 PM

My dr did an internal exam at my 2 week post op appt. He used the speculum and peeked and inserted a finger in and pressed on my tummy. He said we could resume sex in 2 more weeks and to see him again in 4 weeks. I saw him last Thursday for my 6 weeks post op appt and everything is looking good! I don't need to see him ever again, unless I start having problems.
Unread 01-28-2010, 01:52 AM

I had a two week follow up appt after my SAH with no internal exam. The doc just checked my incision and we talked about the pathology report.

She told me I don't need to see her again until my yearly pap smear. I thought that was a little odd, but asked her for a note to give my employer releasing me to go back which will not be until 3/2/10. I guess she figures I will call her if I have any issues.
Unread 01-28-2010, 06:12 AM

My doctor did an internal exam at my 2 week check up. It wasn't painful at all. She wanted to check how I was healing internally. It made me feel better knowing that that everything looked fine.
Unread 01-29-2010, 12:53 AM

I would think that an internal exam would be done post op. How can they tell anything if they don't take a peek? I also was glad that she did the internal exam.

I just had my 4 week post op exam yesterday from my LAVH BSO on 12/28. She checked my incisions on the outside. Then did the pelvic exam. It was very comfortable for me. She has been very gentle with me with everything, even my back and hip problems. Said that I still have the internal stitches and that they will dissolve on their own. Then she discussed the lab report with me. I do not see her again until next year for my breast exam and will only need to have a pap smear every 2 to 3 years. She said that I could have my family doctor do these exams or continue to see her. My vote is for her since I have no trust at all for my female family doctor anymore after my back and hip problems with her. Had I been going to family doctor for this female problem, I probably would have been pushed off until I ended up with uterine cancer. I was told to start gradually doing things to build myself back up, so I am ready for my hip replacement surgery on March 16. She said I will be fine from the hysterectomy to have the next surgery. Now I get to totally stress out again. I told my gyn today that I feel like I am backed into a corner with this next surgery . Either have it or continue to get worse and end up not being able to walk at all. Then I get to deal with the Spine Surgeon again after the hip replacement. I still think it would have been easier to just give me a new, younger, healthier body. Got no bites on that though.
Unread 01-29-2010, 09:49 AM

Drew,

I had an internal at 4 weeks and 6 weeks and I will more than likely have another one next Thursday as it will be my last appointment with him. The internal exams were not painful at all. He was very gentle, remember they know you just had surgery.
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:00 AM

I did not have an internal exam after my surgery. I just had my first exam, at 1 year. I was very worried when I was told there would not be an exam, but things have been fine. My exam will now be 5 years apart acording to the doctor.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register