I really could use some advice right now.... - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I really could use some advice right now.... I really could use some advice right now....

Unread 08-24-2005, 12:02 PM
I really could use some advice right now....

Bottom line is your Dr. should read the chart so he knows why you are there. The fact that he refused to look into your concerns by doing blood work or something really bothers me. You need a Dr. who is willing to listen and address your concerns with care and compassion reagrdless how he or she feels about them. Your fears and concerns are real and valid weather he cares to acknowledge them or not. HRT's are not something to play around with. I suggest finding a new Dr.

Kimmy29
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2005, 12:16 PM

Hi Mare,

I can speak to this a little but I am NOT a doctor so please talk to your doctor about this. I used to be a drug rep and I sold Prometrium. Great drug but it has no use once your uterus is gone. There have been many studies done and none have concluded that you really need progesterone once you stop producing estrogen. The purpose of progesterone is to regulate the lining of your uterus. Too much progesterone and you get thin tissue and dry vaginal walls. It can also cause drowsiness and crankiness. Since estrogen is an MAO inhibitor, they feel that progestin increases MAO thus sometimes leading to moodiness and depression. It's the best progestin on the market if you have your uterus, just take it at bedtime to avoid drowsiness. If you have a uterus you HAVE to take progestin because otherwise estrogen will cause the lining of the uterus to build up (hyperplasia) and could lead to cancer of the endometrium.

That's all it does. Therefore no uterus - no need for progesterone. Again, not a doctor, just a woman with no uterus! You should ask your doctor if you have questions about this.
Unread 08-24-2005, 05:09 PM

I'm sorry you felt dismissed by your doctor. Perhaps it's time to seek out another doctor. Many of us here have found that while our gyn's were good surgeons and good doctors for us before the hyst, afterwards we have found out that they weren't very knowledgeable about hrt and the issues that can come with surgical menopause.

While it is true that many believe no uterus = no progesterone, that is not true for everyone. Hrt is not one size fits and all, while progesterone is not for everyone, many of us have found it to be quite beneficial. Progesterone does much more than just protect the uterus. Here's an article that talks about the benefits Progesterone Benefits

My doctor believes in prescribing hormones based on individual needs. She doesn't automatically prescribe progesterone if you have a hyst, but does so based on your needs.

Good luck! If it were me I would be looking for another doctor. I had to try a few different docs before I found the right one for me. Just like hormones, docs are not one size fits all either.
Unread 08-25-2005, 10:22 AM

Thanks to both Cyndilou and Kim M. Cyndilou's opinion matches that of my OB/GYN.... no uterus, no need for progesterone. The article that Kim M. suggested goes along with the "holistic" hormone talk that I attended. Herein lies the confusion! I think for now I'll let my body heal for a few months. At that point I may spend the money and get the saliva testing done that I've also read about. While I'm laid up I can continue to do my own research! Thanks again.
Hugs to all!
Marilyn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register