Questions about options with fibroids | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about options with fibroids Questions about options with fibroids

Unread 03-26-2016, 12:55 PM
Questions about options with fibroids

Well after much search on the net I have found this place several times, and finally decided to join, see if I can get some help.

A little background a couple months ago I started having irregular spotting between periods, I had quite a lot of stress with deaths in the family, among other things and didn't think anything else of it when it only happened one month and for only like a day. Skip forward two months I had terrible cramps and heavy dark spotting, and it went on and got darker and then bright red for days, I made an early appointment with my gyn because I was highly concerned at this point, obviously. They checked my thyroid, and did the normal well woman tests, everything was normal, so he recommended an endometrial ablation, and tubal since I was positive on the child front. We scheduled an ultrasound, which hurt me badly, I knew something was up at this point, and the fact it took about twice as long as all other ultrasounds I'd had. They found multiple fibroids, at least 2 of them measuring 4cm. Doc wanted to still try the ablation, and tie my tubes. Surgery was yesterday and needless to say the ablation did not work. They did a D&C and hysterscope, and found nothing abnormal, but did send the tissue to pathology as is normal.

I am tired of the constant pain, husband asked after surgery if this is why my back is always hurting and why my cramps have gotten so bad to which he replied "absolutely, and she will probably be hurting pretty good when she wakes, we tried to get this done for her 3 times" hubby said he was almost as upset it didn't work as he and my parents were. I have an amazing gyn. So my question is how hard am I going to have to fight to get a partial hysterectomy with my insurance? They said at least one of the fibroids had grown significantly from the ultrasound to surgery which was just over a week. I'm not a candidate for an IUD because I've never been able to carry to term, and he said they would bother me because of that. Most hormonal birth control scares me because of family history of blood clots and strokes. Doc isn't a fan of UFE, says it is still somewhat in infancy, and since I'm already hurting feels he would be treating me like a guinea pig I am hoping since the fibroids are causing so much pain, heavy bleeding, anemia, and that they are growing rapidly the doc can word things just right to get insurance to not suck. I guess I just wanted to vent more than ask questions.

Thanks for listening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2016, 01:04 PM
Re: Questions about options with fibroids

I'm sorry things have not gone well. I know each insurance Co has its own policies, so you may need to work with them to meet their requirements. Have you had a 2nd opinion, that is good practice when contemplating any surgery. I hope you are able to find relief with whatever option you end up choosing.
Unread 03-27-2016, 01:13 PM

I'm sorry you are going through this too.

I had zero issues having insurance cover my surgery. It was a threat to my health. My fibroid had taken over and was making me dangerously anemic. My insurance through my husband's company is very good though. You may want to check into that.

Hang in there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2016, 06:46 PM

Welcome...this site was wonderful when I was going through my decision to have a hysterectomy or not due to myself having fibroids. Before I was diagnosed, I had gone through the death of my mother so there was a lot of stress there. The afternoon of her funeral I had some very intense pain in my abdominal area. I thought I was cramping due to that time of the month or after I went to a clinic to find out what was wrong, a UTI, but thinking back to that time, I wonder if that was my first indication of fibroids.

Much later and after another incident where I went through such pain that I was in agony and my periods got worse, did I finally go to the doctor who scheduled an ultrasound where it was discovered that I had fibroids. I was referred to a gynecologist who gave me one option and that was a total hysterectomy. Needless to say I went for a second opinion who gave me another option: Take a shot called Lupron which may or may not shrink them. I took that option and with the help of the company who makes the shot, i was able to get it free since the insurance I had would not pay. I did the shots for almost a year before trying to see if the doctor could get the fibroids laproscopically....That did not work because they were too big and that the Lupron did not help. I had no major issues with Lupron except moodiness and some little issues. We scheduled the surgery and if it was not for this website, I am not sure I would have gone through with it. After surgery, I was told that one of the bigger fibroids was wrapped around my uterus and laying on my bladder. And the surgeon accidentally nicked my bladder and I had to wear a cath for two weeks, but that is another story.

HysterSisters is one of the best websites I have ever came across and it was very helpful in the time before, during and after. And you will get all the help that you need here too.
Unread 03-31-2016, 07:01 PM

I would talk to an interventional radiologist about UFE. Gynecologists do not perform them and many are just not that well informed. UFE is definitely not in "infancy" stages. It's been performed since the 1980s. It works great for many people, especially seems to work for small fibroids like yours.

You could also ask about myomectomy, to just remove the fibroids but leave your uterus intact.

At the very least, get a second or third opinion. Hysterectomy is a major surgery that works great for some, but for others can cause bad side effects. At least for me, I wanted to be sure I explored all my options and tried the lesser-invasive methods first. But everyone needs to make the decision that is best for them!

Good luck!
Unread 04-04-2016, 09:45 PM

Hi,

If all of the fibroids are growing simultaneously, this is a benign (although uncomfortable) situation. But if one particular fibroid among others is growing fast, I think it would be benefitial to talk to an oncologist. sorry, i do not want to mislead you, I am not a physician, but I had a similar discussion with my gyno (about my fibroids which were growing fast!)

I hope they somehow shrink and you be healthy.
Unread 04-05-2016, 04:10 PM

All growing simultaneously, and it is indeed painful! I did ask about that when they told me they were growing if I had something to worry about. They told me not to be concerned until they did the D&C hysterscopy and got pathology back. Everything came back completely benign, found nothing suspicious! But thank you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register