recovering agoraphobic and TVH scheduled | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

recovering agoraphobic and TVH scheduled recovering agoraphobic and TVH scheduled

Unread 09-27-2008, 10:28 PM
recovering agoraphobic and TVH scheduled

I am a recovering agoraphobic ( a debilitating form of panic disorder)and I'm scheduled for a TVH and a sling in October.

I don't know how I made it to 51 without a surgery.....but while lurking around and reading all the threads, I hope I'm not in for a major melt down!!! I have been "home" bound for 10 years. I have expanded my "home" to include some local eateries and the grocery store but that took alot of work and pre-planning.

I have postponed the surgery for 2 years. At this point I can't have intercourse, pee sitting down or have a bowel movement without meds.

My gyn has been in touch with my therapist and I pray they find a program that works. I really want to go through with it this time. My DH is a prince..I'm soooo blessed, but I can't wait anymore!

Any suggestions short of being knocked out the day before???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2008, 03:31 AM

Maybe you can't be completely knocked out the day before but can they possibly give you some sedatives to help calm the panic attacks you may have. Also is there a way for you to meet some of the nursing staff and the drs that will be doing the surgery beforehand which might make you feel a little more comfortable. I am sure your therapist and dr will be able to come up with something that will help you. Also will having your dh with you be helpful to you? I know you can't have him with you during the actual surgery but what about him being with you during the recovery part. When my 7 year old needed surgery, we were allowed to see him almost immediately after the surgery was done and maybe they can even make plans for him to stay in your hospital room with you and of course maybe your therapist can come visit you while you are in the hospital. I have no idea if any of these things would help. Good luck with everything. Also what about hypnotism - some people believe in it and maybe it could help you with this too. Sending lots of good thoughts and prayers your way.
Unread 09-28-2008, 09:12 AM

I am so sorry you have to suffer with not only your female issues but the panic disorder as well. I think that being anxious is normal, in regards to this surgery. I have a dear friend who did a Mind Mastery session with me. This is a light form of hypnosis. It really helped me before and after. Before it calmed my mind and afterwards it helped my focus with the healing.

I hope you can go through with the surgery. I had stage IV endo and had no idea how badly I was hurting before. It had just become a part of my life. Now I feel the best I have in @ least 20 years. I hope for your sake you can go through with it. Even my mental and emotional state is better.

I send you HEALING AND LIGHT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2008, 01:53 PM

I'm sorry you have to deal with the additional anxiety from agoraphobia. I agree that anti-anxiety meds would be in order for dealing with the days before the surgery.

I had the exact same surgery - a TVH and sling, and I only stayed one night. Believe me, I couldn't wait to go home the next day, and a one-night stay is pretty common for TVH now. I was thinking that it might be a good thing for you, since home is your comfort zone.

You can get through this! Have an uneventful surgery and quick recovery.
Unread 09-28-2008, 01:59 PM

you might want to speak to your dr about additional anti-anxiety meds for the day before/morning of the surgery. its normal to be nervous and scared..but it sounds like you really need this surgery badly. i hope everything works out for you.
Unread 09-28-2008, 03:35 PM

Thank you sisters for all your loving wishes and great ideas.
My DH will be with me as much as he is allowed. We made special arrangements with the hospital so he can stay with me.

I have been soooo tempted to read about the procedure but have been STRONGLY advised against it by my therapist. He thinks in my case, ignorance IS bliss. I do have a few questions...do you get the "swelly belly" with the TVH? I know with any abdominal surgery there are gas issues...will there be with a vag. procedure?

Tomorrow I'm going to call the hospital and ask for a 25 cent tour. Thanks for the suggestion, I think it will help alot! My second call will be to the gyn for some super meds I can take before I go in.

Blessings to you all and thank you for your support.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register