When do menopause symptoms usually start? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When do menopause symptoms usually start? When do menopause symptoms usually start?

Unread 10-20-2011, 07:37 AM
When do menopause symptoms usually start?

I am 3 weeks post every thing gone both overies I am 43. Can someone tell me when menopause symptoms usually start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2011, 07:48 AM
When do menopause symptoms usually start?

I think it depends on how well your ovaries were working before. For me it was at about 2 weeks that the incredible hot flashes and night sweats started.
Unread 10-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Re: When do menopause symptoms usually start?

@ Granny68

Hi... For what it's worth, I had the same procedure, everything out, a few days before you, and am the same age as you...and so far, I too am just about symptom free. I am getting what might be night sweats, though I used to often overheat at night...so not sure if these are related or not. The overheating at night seems to be a bit more intense then in the past - but that's basically all I've had. I spoke to my GP (not surgeon) because I had read that some post surgical women get symptoms almost right away. She countered that with some it could take as long as a year. It really depends on the person - and there is some genetic coding to what you might get as well. My mom's menopause was apparently relatively easy, so the GP seemed to suggest that mine might be too. Who really knows - but at 5.5 weeks post op, I have happy that I've had nothing major...(yet!)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2011, 01:08 PM

Mine was about 3-4 weeks post-op. The hot flashes and night sweats hit me HARD!

My mom and the rest of my family have had it relatively easy, but probably because they kept their ovaries
Unread 10-20-2011, 01:54 PM

I don't know if age has to do with it or not, but I was 30 at the time of my surgery and it hit me IMMEDIATELY!!! The day after surgery I was having some night sweats. They got much worse by the time I got home 4 days later. I was completely soaking the bed with sweat and I even had a fan on my headboard blowing right on me. I was also super emotional....crying all the time over the silliest things.
I feel so much better now that my got my ERT figured out!!
I think everyone is different so hopefully you will continue to be symptom free!!! Enjoy it!!
Unread 10-20-2011, 03:27 PM

I'm 54 and the hot flashes hit me around week 5. I am not on any hrt.
Unread 10-20-2011, 04:16 PM

My menopause symptoms appeared within two weeks.
Lack of libido and sleepless nights.

Then slowly my libido returned. My sleepless nights were helped by an "early to bed approach before 10:00 P.M., no food after 8:00 PM, no coffee after 12:00 PM, no computers after 9:30 PM or earlier.

I also added a better diet (no sweets, sugars, pastries, few fats, few red meats, few restaurant and fast food meals, and rare "buffet" meals.)
I eat a lot of vegetables and fruits, tofu, oatmeal, cottage cheese, and chicken. No sodas, only water.

I dropped 32 pounds and 4 sizes.
I get up at 5:00 AM to exercise at least 45 minutes every day.

My mood is really good. I am nicer now than I was before my hysterectomy.
Odd, because I don't have my ovaries any more.
Unread 10-20-2011, 05:50 PM

I too had TAH/BSO and I'm 43 yrs old...Hot flashes and severe night sweats hit evening 2 after surgery in the hospital. Emotions "let go" also same night...cried for hours! I was not a crier prior to surgery, and I also find myself irritable, and somewhat depressed. Don't have followup until Oct 26, but HRT is not in the cards for me. I guess I'll just have to "suck it up"
Unread 10-25-2011, 06:59 PM

I had my surgery on August 9, both ovaries were removed and I have had NO menopause symptoms! I was exhausted and having trouble sleeping at night, and my doctor thought it could be hormone related but weighed that against just not being able to SLEEP. He gave me an rx for Ambien CR and said if I still woke up during the night while taking it, then he'd know the difficulty sleeping was due to hormones. Happy to report, about a week of taking it, my sleep pattern returned, for the most part, to normal. I may take one once a week on average--I was happy not to start HRT...so until I start some menopause symptoms, I'll not worry about it! lol
Unread 10-25-2011, 07:18 PM

I have been fortunate not to have to deal with the emotional issues of menopause after surgery but the hot flashes and night sweats were so bad that I felt like I was going to pass out on a few occasions. Since HRT is not something I can do I am on a low dose of Effexor and that seems to be working.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register