Nervous about surgery being done as outpatient - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous about surgery being done as outpatient Nervous about surgery being done as outpatient

Unread 08-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Re: Nervous about surgery being done as outpatient

I am having my Total Vaginal Hysterectomy on saturday 8/21 at 7:30AM and my doc plans to send me home the next day by 3PM, makes me terrified, I have very little help, and hope the recovery is easier than I picture it in my head =(

Does anyone know if an abdominal binder is a must have for this surgery? My GYN isn't very good at explaining a THING to me, and that makes me crazy because I'm a planner, she didn't tell me I needed one nor mention anything about swelling but I see its fairly common...is that just with the abdominal surgery or could anyone shed some light on what kind of things to expect after a vaginal hysterectomy (I don't see that this is a very common proceedure on here)

Thanks sisters =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2010, 09:19 AM

I am scheduled for my LAVH on Sept. 13 and it is considered outpatient but I will be spending the night. I am nervous also about coming home, I have a 45 minute drive from the hospital to my house so I really don't look forward to that.

Your going to do great and the dr will not send you home if you are not ready.
Unread 08-19-2010, 10:30 AM

Hi! I went to the hospital Friday morning August the 6th at 5:00 am. Surgery started around 7:15. I was out of surgery 2 hours later in my room. I had a cath in and was given assorted pain meds. Some morphine in my iv and then some percocet and motrin. I ate some soup and crackers. I had 2 rounds of blood drawn because I had been sooooo nauseated the day before my surgery leading up to it. Dr. did not want to send me home dehydrated. At 4:00 that afternoon they got the final blood results back and said I was good to go! The nurse took out my cath,my iv, hubby helped me get my clothes on and I was home by 5:00pm! I honestly don't remember much about the 1st night home except hubby waking me up every 4 hrs to give me my pain meds.
I was nervous about the outpatient thing to,but I really am glad that I got to come home. Oh,I had LAVH uterus and cervix removed for adenomyosis. I will be thinking of you and sending you best wishes!
Cats
Unread 08-19-2010, 12:33 PM

Hi NYGal...I went home after mine. I was given a percocet pill about an hour before I left. I felt nothing on my 45 min drive home. I could hardly stay awake either. It really was not bad at all.

Also I've never felt the need to use a binder.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register