Squatty Potty - Is it going to hurt post hysterectomy? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Squatty Potty - Is it going to hurt post hysterectomy? Squatty Potty - Is it going to hurt post hysterectomy?

Unread 01-15-2016, 11:21 PM
Re: Squatty Potty - Is it going to hurt post hysterectomy?

Some ladies in Chemo gave me a great tip for squatty potty I used it through 3 months of Chem and my surgery two weeks ago.

some toilet paper comes in packs that are 3x3 rolls ( nine in a package) dont take them out of the pack. Duct tape two packs together and use that as a foot stool. I actually made two of these and they are on my bathroom floor so I can put my feet up on them and lean on them. I also put something to steady myself so I could lean forward.

I had open abdominal surgery and I would drink a serving of milk of magnesium in the morning a soft and often for lunch and if I was still concerned a dose of miralax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2016, 07:26 AM

I tried using a low step stool but raising my legs pinched my lower incision. It was too uncomfortable. Rocking back and forth, and leaning forward until my torso was almost touching my knees helped.

For the first two times, I had to take stool softeners and milk of magnesia. After that I've managed to go on my own regular enough that I haven't needed any help. However, I take fiber supplements and drink about three times more than I normally did.

Around the 3.5 week mark, my bowels are mostly back to normal. Except for evening gas, which is mostly controlled with Gas-x.

Good Luck!
Unread 01-16-2016, 09:10 AM

Squatty Potty is awesome, as it puts your legs/feet into the most natural position for....um....the most natural of activities, lol.

It should/could be used all the time. The newer "comfort-seat" toilets, which are designed to be higher off the ground, to be easier to get on/off, are actually harmful to our biology. When you look at the colon/intestines, they were not designed to sit up straight to go. Contents actually come out much easier with more of a bend.

So yes, the Squatty Potty is awesome. It's not just a step stool, but designed at a specific angle. I have no stake in the company.

I also used stool softeners from Day 1, which helped a lot. I took them 2x/day for about 2 weeks. That, and the Squatty Potty, helped make the elimination much easier. It took my body about 3-4 days to start eliminating. A lot of the delay has to do with the fact that we are often not eating much leading up to surgery, due to pain, etc.
Unread 01-16-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmenSandiego View Post
I'm have an abdominal incision, that's why I'm concerned if I will be able lift my legs and get into position
I had a TAH and used a couple of large books to raise my feet onto. It was the only way I could have a bowel motion without pain.

You don't have to raise your feet really high, just a few inches makes all the difference. Use your hands under your thighs to help lift your legs.

Unread 01-23-2016, 02:40 PM

The physio booklet suggested to just literally sit back and relax. I know it's tough not to push but I literally would bring in the Ipad and lean on cistern and just take my time.it worked a treat
Unread 01-23-2016, 02:53 PM

I already have been using a squatty potty for over a year and I love it! I plan to try and continue using mine after surgery, depending on if it hurts to raise my legs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register