Obesity and hysterectomy (I'm nervous) - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Obesity and hysterectomy (I'm nervous) Obesity and hysterectomy (I'm nervous)

Unread 09-02-2001, 02:10 PM
Obesity and hysterectomy (I'm nervous)

HI SUE,

AFTER MY SURGERY ON 8/16/01--TAH/BSO--THERE WAS NO PROBLEMS ..AFTER THE SURGERY THEY JUST KEEP MY INCESION DRY I COULD NOT PUT ANY THING ON IT.THE DR TOLD ME TO KEEP IT TOTALY DRY SINCE I HAVE A WEIGHT PROBLEM AND MOISTER WILL BUILD UP UNDER THE BELLY QUICK.AFTER MY SHOWER I STAND IN FRONT OF THE FAN AND DRY THAT AREA WELL.IF I PUT ON UNDER CLOTHS I BUT A WHITE WASH CLOTH OR HANKERCHIFE ROLL LONG WAYS THERE AS THE DR TOLD ME TO TO KEEP THE AREA DRY.NOT MANY DR. RECOMEND PUTING ANYTHING ON THE SITE UNLESS THERE IS PROBLEMS.BUT ASK YOUR DR.MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SOME THING READY FOR GAS LIKE GAS X OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.AND SOMETHING TO HELP SOFEN YOUR STOOL .JUST IN CASE YOU NEED IT. WELL SUE TALK WITH YOU LATER GOOD LUCK QUESTIONS DON'T FORGET YOU CAN EMAIL ME. Bobby413483@cs.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-02-2001, 05:27 PM

Luckysister,

A tummy binder is a wide elastic band with velcro at the end that wraps around your belly. It helps support it and boy, does it come in handy when trying to move or cough! I woke up in recovery with mine and I love it! Ask your doctor about it, most automatically use it, but some don't, so ask and request one if necessary! Good Luck!

Christy
Unread 09-02-2001, 06:04 PM

Christy

Thanks. Sounds like a handy item. I will ask about it at my Pre-op. I wonder if I could get one from a home health care store to use as an extra, when that one is dirty. Did anyone else try to buy a 2nd one?

Traci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2001, 04:39 AM

Tracy,

You probably can buy one there, but I would try a drugstore or even Wal-Mart. It would be much cheaper there. Don't confuse it with a back support, which is a different thing but works on the same principal. Tummy binders are much wider all around. Do you have any friends that are nurses? They would probably know where to get one, and if they work at a hospital, they'll get an employee discount. Hope this helps ya! (I'll be out and about for awhile today, I'll have a look around for you. Sure glad most stores have wheelchairs with baskets!)

Christy
(got my crown 1 week ago today!)
Unread 09-03-2001, 11:14 AM

Christy

Did I read your post right?? One week post-op and you are going to be out and about?

Let me know how it goes. Did you have to go out, or were you just going nuts from having to stay home? I will not have to go out, but I am known to be restless.

Thanks for looking for binders for me, BUT please rest.

Traci
Unread 09-03-2001, 03:31 PM
antibiotic on incision????

Rosa, I'm not real sure why my Dr. doesn't want his pt.'s to use antibiotic cream on incision. My guess is that since there was no signs of infection, I just didn't need it. He did tell me I could use peroxide if I needed to. Had I used peroxide, I would have mixed it with some water, just because I don't use straight peroxide that often (I'm sure it wouldn't have mattered, though.) Tomorrow will be 14 days post and my incision is still healing well. I'm feeling better every day, only occasionally take Lortab, usually at night and I know I've not rested enough. Melodie
Unread 09-03-2001, 04:04 PM

Hi Melanie

What is Lortab? I have heard other people mention it, but not what it is used for.

Thanks

Traci
Unread 09-03-2001, 04:36 PM

TRACI, LORTAB IS A PAIN PILL, HAS HYDROCODONE IN IT.
Unread 09-03-2001, 06:28 PM

Thanks Melanie.

How are you feeling 14 (almost) days post-op??

Traci
Unread 09-03-2001, 07:21 PM

Traci, I am feeling better with each passing day. My main complaint is alot of pressure/fullness in my abdomen. Minimal pain, usually controlled with motrin. Today I rode about 30 minutes from my home to a mall, walked some with frequent rest periods. It has been really hard for me to adjust to so much free time, I don't watch much tv, like to read, but have to be in the mood. My husband goes back to work this week after taking off to be with me for the last two weeks, so I may try to get interested in a good book. It's really helped me to take short rides in the afternoon when I've felt like it. Good luck on your surg., keep me posted.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register