6 Wks Post Op Question List | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 Wks Post Op Question List 6 Wks Post Op Question List

Unread 06-21-2005, 09:26 AM
6 Wks Post Op Question List

Hello Dear Sisters,
I go for my 6 wk (more like 5 ) check up tomorrow. Does anyone have a list of questions that need to be asked?
So far I have:
* Get Blood Test for hormone levels and iron
* HRT and is it for me
* Get a copy of surgery report
* Get copy of pathology report
* Need Pap test now that cervix is gone?
* When Sex
* How much max to lift
*When can lift heavy stuff & pull weeds
* ????

Thanks, I haven't found such a list if there is one on this board.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2005, 12:25 PM

Hi,

You have a good list going. I have some more that you might want to ask:

If I am to be on HRT , how long?
How long does it take to see results?
What are symptoms to watch for?
At what age do I wean off of hrt?
If I have kept my ovaries what do I do if I have symptoms of menopause?

How do you know if I am healed or not?
How many stitches do I have left ?
How long will I be sore and swollen?

If I resume sex will I hurt and what if I bleed?
Can I douche?
What if my libido is lacking?
What if sex is not like before?

Can I go swimming and get in hot tub?
Can I start an exercise program?
Am I cleared for all activities?

What about my emotions and feelings after this surgery? What is normal? What is not?

Do you recommend vitamins, calcium and how much?

Do I schedule a yearly checkup from now on?

You may have questions that you personally want to ask concerning your own issues.

Good luck

s
Unread 06-21-2005, 12:49 PM

GreenGrass,

I just wanted to tell you good luck tomorrow! We have twin surgery days (My TVH, kept ovaries, rectal repair was on May 17). I too will be seeing the doc for my 5 (6?) week checkup tomorrow.
I still have some aches and pains, and I seem to have trouble sleeping which I NEVER had before. In addition, I tend to wonder if my ovaries are sleeping b/c I get VERY hot at night.....wooh, I am kicking the covers off. I'm 38 years old and feeling really old these days. Hope this all gets better soon. Going back to work on Jun 29th if doctor allows.
Take good care and good luck at the doc!

-Tommie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2005, 02:26 PM

These are all good questions. I also asked if my GYN/OB doctor would be the one that I address menopause questions too or if I need to get a General MD doctor. I also asked specifically about doing abdominal exercises and approximate date to return to work.
Unread 06-21-2005, 02:40 PM

I just posted all these replies to a word document as I'm going for my 6 (more like 5 too)weeks check on Thursday. Thank you ladies.
If I think of more ?'s I'll post too.

HJ
Unread 06-21-2005, 03:22 PM

Hi Girls,
These are very good questions. I am going for my (6)week check up on Friday. I am also going to ask when I can vacuum. Also my belly is so swollen that people think I am pregnant. I want to know if this is normal. If not what is it or what could it be and if it is when will if go away or what can I do to help it go away. I am hoping for the green light in the bedroom DH is getting randy as he puts it. I was going to post a similar question. I was wondering how many people get there OR and Path reports? Good luck. Let us know how it goes. Do any of you still have a really swollen belly? Does it come up under you ribs, if you do?
Kat
Unread 06-21-2005, 04:02 PM

Sunnykat,

I had my surgery six weeks ago yesterday and my check up with my doc last week. Even though I'm still a little sore he cleared me for everything including vacumming and sex. With the sex, he just said to keep it slow and easy and not to do anything "too crazy" for awhile. He also went over my path report with me. I also still suffer from swelly belly but it is getting smaller every week. I hope your appointment goes well.
Unread 06-21-2005, 04:36 PM

Oh Thank you, thank you, thank you, Sisters!!!
What good questions to add to mine. Just thought of another one: Why do my hips hurt so dang bad??!!!! (what I'll want to say is: what wacko position did you have me in for 3 1/2 hours that would do this to me!!! )
That is a great idea about cutting and pasting these lists into a word document. I'm going to do that too.
I'll let you know how it goes. Best to you all, esp. for tomorrow's checkup. We'll have to compare notes.
Unread 06-21-2005, 05:25 PM

The things I forgot to ask about were:

~Should I have bone density screening for osteoporosis?

~How should hormonal symptoms/HRT adjustments be handled? Call or come in for office visit?

I like to hand my list to my Dr. ...that way I don't chicken-out or skip questions. (I keep it simple tho )

Hope all goes well with your visit. Good luck.

s, Beth
Unread 06-21-2005, 05:29 PM

I was just going to ask if anyone actually hands a list to the doctor! I did that at my pre-op appt. and she got a kick out of it. Now, I have an entire folder I'm taking in tomorrow......I printed out some info. on estrogen replacement therapy and its effects on Raynaud's Syndrome (which I have). Don't know how many gynecologists are up to speed on Raynaud's. Won't I feel stupid walking in with my little folder!! She's going to think I'm either nuts....or overly anal!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register