Joint Pain - Can Anyone Relate? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Joint Pain - Can Anyone Relate? Joint Pain - Can Anyone Relate?

Unread 12-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Joint Pain - Can Anyone Relate?

Hi! I am new to the Hyster Sisters Community, even 2 1/2 years after my having my uterus, ovaries, and cervix removed at the age of 37. A little bit of background....I had ovarian cysts that would not go away, my physician and I decided to remove everything, and ended up having a 3 hour surgery because of severe endometriosis. Was immediately put on 1mg estradiol (oral synthetic). I felt better than I had in years until November of 2009 (my surgery was June of 2009) when I literally went to bed one night feeling great and woke up the next day in horrible pain, with severe muscle spasms and twitches. So much that my husband rushed me to the emergency room. After many tests, the conclusion was "musculoskeletal problems". For the past two years I have gone to a chiropractor to see if I can get relief and it hasn't really helped much. Then my blood pressure kept steadily going up until I had to be put on meds and the anxiety and panic attacks started, for which I was put on meds. I finally did a lot of research and decided to gradually wean myself off the synthetic estradiol after one and 1/2 years. My blood pressure came back down and I got to discontinue meds. Then came the hot flashes with a vengeance, the pulsing and rapid heart beat, the buzzing in the ears. Which takes me to my current status of asking to be put on bioidentical hormones (Estriol/Estradiol with Progesterone). We are going low and slow and I have been blessed with a caring and knowledgeable compounding pharmacist and a new primary physician. Throughout this whole ordeal my estrogen levels have always been "normal" even when I stopped taking the Estradiol for several months. Just found out my Progesterone level is next to none. I said all of that to ask this: Has anyone else out there gone through what I have gone through with the synthetic hormones? Especially the severe joint pain? Can anyone who has used bioidentical hormone therapy share their experience with me? I have been strong for so long, and I've learned a lot, but I am finally getting tired of being in pain ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Re: Joint Pain - Can Anyone Relate?

"I have not had your experience with synthetic hormones. I am on bio-identical - Bi-est 5 MG/ML 1.2% TEinHRT, DHEA 10 MG, and Progesterone 100 mg cap x 2. I feel a lot better than not being on anything. I personally think the bioidenticals are the way to go...hopefully you will be feeling well in the very near future.
Unread 12-06-2011, 08:35 PM

Thank you, Janabelleca, for your words of encouragement! I agree that bioidenticals are best, but I have been told that it takes at least a couple of months or more to get the balance right. So, I figured I've waited over two years, what's a couple more months. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2011, 09:24 AM

I have joint pain that comes and goes. I also have a family history of Arthritis. It seems to be a "high Estrogen" symptom for me. I also have Endo. I have been told that Endo can make it's own Estrogen, which is why you may have normal levels even when you are not taking any. This has always been so confusing to me! I was having so many unpleasant symptoms from Estradiol, that I had to quit taking it. I now just take a compounded Estriol cream, which seems to be working, for the time being. I know what you mean about everything going fine, and then waking up and all of a sudden, things are completely wacky! I did learn that it is very important to take Magnesium. I was having many muscle spasms and even went to the ER once, only to have them tell me nothing was wrong with me. My Cousin, who is a Nurse Practitioner told me that low Magnesium can cause the muscle spasms. I have definitely noticed a difference there. And soaking in an Epsom Salt bath is just like putting Magnesium right into your muscles. Hope some of this helps
Unread 12-10-2011, 10:24 AM

Thank you Shadey! I have been taking 2tsp of an organic powder magnesium product called Natural Calm in my water every day, per my chiropractor's instructions (he's also a licensed nutritionist and has helped me more than anyone so far). I've been doing this for the past couple of years, and I totally believe it's helped with the muscle spasms, because when I have them now, they aren't nearly as severe as before. I will, however, take your advise and try the Epsom Salt bath. No one's mentioned that to me before. Thank you for sharing your experience with me! I appreciate you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register