Questions about rectocele repair surgery - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hyster Sisters Extras and Add-Ons > In Search of Info/Support for .....

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about rectocele repair surgery Questions about rectocele repair surgery

Unread 07-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Still Waiting

Hello everyone: Just thought I would send you a quick update. Since my last post, I again missed another surgery date - the day before my last surgery which was supposed to be May 31, my sinus infection was again too bad for them to "place my health at risk", and they called off my surgery. Since then, I have been to an allergist (no allergies) and an ENT (I have sinus disease which is causing my recurring sinus infections). I was placed on antibiotics for 20 days, and am feeling much better. I have a new surgery date for September 24 (although I am no longer telling friends and family, since it keeps getting postponed). I am a wreck with these ups and downs on having surgery/not having surgery. I have also discovered another herniated area in my vaginal area, and my MD (who also has an OB/GYN background) is going to check it for me tomorrow. I think it is a cystocele. This will put a "crimp" in my surgery plans if I decide to fix it now, but I will need to contact my urogyn for another appt. before my surgery if I do have this in order for her to assess it. I have tried to enjoy my summer, but am anxious to have all my body parts back in their respective positions. Please let me know how all of you are doing - your positive posts are uplifting for me during my trying time. Thanks, and I hope this finds you all doing well!
Jo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2007, 10:13 PM
Questions about rectocele repair surgery

Oh, life is so not fair. I am sorry for all your delays! I over 5 months out and still habing problems with scar tissue but think maybe PT and utrasound has helped. I also found out that my estrogen was almost non exsistant (may have been why I took FOREVER to heal) and now am taking HRT and feeling so much better.

I hope you finally get things all resolved and actually make it to surgery. You must have iron nerves. The waiting really is the worst and you win the prize. Hugs to you that you still seem so upbeat!!! It will happen and we will be there for you!
Unread 09-28-2007, 04:49 PM
Surgery....finally over

Hello everyone! I finally had my surgery done this past Monday (9/24). I ended up having a rectocele repair, cystocele repair, uterosacral ligament suspension and a cystoscope. I was in overnight and came home on Tuesday (after I proved I could empty my bladder without benefit of a catheter) - hooray! I have been doing just fine...so far. Bowels are a little slow, but I am taking my Colace. I am not having any real discomfort. I am antsy, but behaving myself and following all my directions for recovery, and not overdoing anything. One question I was wondering about, and maybe you all can answer for me - should I be worrying about how I am sitting? I have just been trying to be as comfortable as possible without putting too much pressure on my hiney and vjj - any words of wisdom would be much appreciated. I initially had some bleeding, but that has slowed down to almost nothing today. Would love to hear from all of you and how you are doing!

Jo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2007, 07:10 AM

I didn't modify my sitting in any way other than just being comfortable. With that said, I never asked and I do feel my repairs have failed, at least partially.

Good luck Take it easy!
Unread 10-01-2007, 02:28 AM

well the first thing i can say, since the terms and conditions don't allow much
is to "google" search alot for blogs and complications for this type of surgery. There are so many FDA articles on this, I couldn't believe my eyes. I think maybe a pessary is a better idea now that I have read all of this.
there are old techniques that nobody is using and I would like to know why?
How do you get a doctor to admit the mesh is a problem and how do you get a new doctor to take it out?
Unread 10-01-2007, 07:16 AM

Hi - I posted another reply to you. I did research this surgery for over a year, and for me, it was still the right choice. The other big choice was hiring the right doctor for me. I went to the <oops! doctor's name/address removed as per website guidelines> - she thought like I did - no mesh, no manipulation of the levator ani muscles (which is what causes a lot of the painful sex). But, she couldn't promise a lot - said I could have recurrent rectocele, painful sex, inability to control bowels or bladder, damage to bowel or bladder, etc. We talked about the pessary, and for me, it did not work. These are old techniques, but with some twists (such as no longer manipulating those levator ani muscles). Her and I even talked about the possibility that when I need this repair again - whether 1 year or 5 years, that something new would be out there! I don't think you will get the doctor who did your surgery to admit that mesh is wrong, but if you search this site, I think you will find that there are many doctors out there that don't believe in its use, and will take it out for you. Also, I did not have a hysterectomy or bladder suspension, which of course, made my surgery different than yours. Also, body weight looks like it plays an important part in your recovery, as well as age and whether you are in menopause or not. I had all of those things against me. Again, I wish you well with your issues, and hope that my post has helped in some way.
Unread 10-01-2007, 04:02 PM

JLM, I had a cystocele and a prettybad rectocele after my hyst. I did pelvic floor PT which really helped my bladder but did nothing for the rectocele. My gyn did want to put in a sling at the same time as he felt the weakness would shift too. My PT did not think so. I decided to wait and see and it has been almost 8 months and my bladder is a bit low but no leaking what so ever.

Dr did a perineal repair which added lots of support and I am tryng to keep up with the kegels. I was quite gald I took a "wait and see" approach. Sometimes you end up with molre problems than you started out with.

Good luck to all of you here getting ready for surgery. For thos walkers I was reading about....in the rectocele/bladder repairs gravity IS NOT your friend. You need to take it as easy as humanly possible to give the tissues a good 12 weeks to heal. Not getting constipated is really important too!!

Best of luck!
Unread 10-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Question - Questions about rectocele repair surgery JLM thx - how do I find a Dr in Georgia

JLM thanks for the info.

I hope that someone on here will guide me to a doctor that can properly do the levator ani muscles. I have never even heard of that until you mentioned it.

I think the thing that really gets me; is that there is so much disclosure in what I do (finance / real estate); I mean if I even say the wrong thing I can go to prison for 7 years.

BUT the doctor never (two of them so far); never once told me of the stuff that I have found on blogs and on this site for only 48 hours and I know more than what 2 surgeries and 2 doctors NEVER told me.

For something that is so important; they should be federally mandated to give you brochures; watch videos, have a nurse sit there and explain what you are seeing; be able to ask questions !!! for crying out aloud; instead of crying night and day for over 2 years;
I stood at my mother funeral in Georgia in July in 105 degree heat bleeding vaginally on pain killers (couldn't tell my father too distraught) over somebody in essence trying to kill me. I almost died last week !!

If this surgery, this particular one is going to effect this many life functions - there should be classes given on them.

i.e. I used to work for the CEO of a managed care company that did lasik - one of the first companies to do so. We had an entire education dept. that held classes that we required for you to come to before we would even sign you up or take your money !! It's your eyes.

Well in this case, if you can't sit, can't stand, can't have sex, can't eat because you are doubling over and you are almost facing bankruptcy - don't ya think they should have full disclosures!!!
Unread 10-06-2007, 06:40 PM

BADSURGINGa: I would try a teaching institution - which combines both a hospital and teaching med students. I would also recommend you see only a urogynecologist, not a regular OB/GYN. Can anyone else provide any information to help BADSURGINGa out here? Thanks. Good luck to you!
Unread 10-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Thumbs up - Questions about rectocele repair surgery Finding a good surgeon for rectocele

I am scheduled for a hysterectomy/rectocele repair on Dec. 7th. I live in VA and am going to TN for my surgery (9 hour drive). I was frustrated trying to find a surgeon in my area that gave me peace of mind so I decided to go elsewhere. <oops! doctor's name/address removed as per website guidelines> is the "best of the best". I'll give you the link so you can check out his incredible credentials. He graciously spoke with me on the phone this morning for over 15 minutes (with no charge!). He explained to me (if I understood him correctly) that he does a "site-specific" repair that avoids the levator ani muscles which is what causes the most pain with intercourse after the procedure. He said he might even be able to do the repair from above but won't know until he gets in there. If you don't mind traveling and having the extra expense of a hotel, I would highly recommend <admin>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADSURGINGa
JLM thanks for the info.

I hope that someone on here will guide me to a doctor that can properly do the levator ani muscles. I have never even heard of that until you mentioned it.

I think the thing that really gets me; is that there is so much disclosure in what I do (finance / real estate); I mean if I even say the wrong thing I can go to prison for 7 years.

BUT the doctor never (two of them so far); never once told me of the stuff that I have found on blogs and on this site for only 48 hours and I know more than what 2 surgeries and 2 doctors NEVER told me.

For something that is so important; they should be federally mandated to give you brochures; watch videos, have a nurse sit there and explain what you are seeing; be able to ask questions !!! for crying out aloud; instead of crying night and day for over 2 years;
I stood at my mother funeral in Georgia in July in 105 degree heat bleeding vaginally on pain killers (couldn't tell my father too distraught) over somebody in essence trying to kill me. I almost died last week !!

If this surgery, this particular one is going to effect this many life functions - there should be classes given on them.

i.e. I used to work for the CEO of a managed care company that did lasik - one of the first companies to do so. We had an entire education dept. that held classes that we required for you to come to before we would even sign you up or take your money !! It's your eyes.

Well in this case, if you can't sit, can't stand, can't have sex, can't eat because you are doubling over and you are almost facing bankruptcy - don't ya think they should have full disclosures!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register