Is anyone else experiencing pain at 5 weeks? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is anyone else experiencing pain at 5 weeks? Is anyone else experiencing pain at 5 weeks?

Unread 04-27-2009, 11:16 AM
Is anyone else experiencing pain at 5 weeks?

Hey Ladies, I will be 5 weeks post op tomorrow and just wondering if anyone else has experienced any pains at 5 weeks???? I still get pretty tired and stiff feeling after doing a little too much and wondering if this is normal for 5 weeks post off? Yesterday I went to church and the service was pretty long, I started having pains in my back, stomach and side during the service. After the service my legs felt very stiff and I just felt like my whole body was getting stiff. I came home and changed into my pj's, I did mess around in the kitchen before I decided to lay down and relax. My side continued to hurt throughout the rest of the day and the pain is on my left side and comes and goes. Also my entire stomach near the bikini incision has been tender to touch for a least 2 weeks now but I just thought that was a normal feeling. I have my 5 week appointment this thursday and plan to address all these issues but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced any of these feelings. My son seems to think my pain in my side is gas pains but I woke up this morning and still felt the pain. I'm starting to wonder if this is my appendix??? OR if this is associated with the surgery recovery. Please help! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2009, 07:40 AM
Re: Is anyone else experiencing pain at 5 weeks?

msseh

I'm sorry you're experiencing this but it's still relatively early in the your recovery and it sounds like you've been overdoing it? A hysterectomy is major surgery, with complete rest usually advised for a minimum of 6 weeks.

If you've not done so already, it will help you to read this HS article <link> Doing Too Much, Too Soon which explains in more detail. Please don't hesitate to contact your doctor, however, or bring your appointment forward if things worsen.

Will you let us know how you get on? Please try to rest as much as possible from now on since you've only this one opportunity to heal properly.

Unread 04-28-2009, 08:39 PM

I was 5 weeks on Saturday, 4/25. I only feel soreness and have a swollen belly if I overdo it. The first 3 weeks I did nothing but rest. I went back to work part time. During my 4th week, I had burning sensations that lasted a few days. I still get very tired now, but overall I feel good.

It sounds like you're overdoing it. Not only did I feel pain when I pushed myself too much, I also felt it when I was sitting too much. I had to take the pressure off of the stitches. I also used a heating pad, which helped alot.

Let's us know what your doctor says.

Best Wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2009, 10:01 PM

I feel like I got worse at 5 weeks. All my fault, I was feeling good, doing a lot, working full time etc. So weeks 5 to 7 I have been more swollen and achy, this week I am trying to get a handle of the situation and get back on the recovery wagon.
Unread 04-30-2009, 04:21 PM

Hey all, I had my 5 week appointment today and informed dr. of pain I've had since Sunday in my side, he thinks it might be a bladder infection and after having a urine test done he said that's what he thinks it may be. He also examined me and asked if I'd had any spotting because as soon as he examined me a small amount of blood came out, after my examine he left the room and told me he would come back to discuss exam and immediately I started bleeding and had to be given a pad. Dr. thinks since they didn't take my cervix that the blood was left over in the cervix and probably won't be bleeding like this any more. At any rate he prescribed me meds for the pain in my side and told me if the pain doesn't go away by Monday to contact his office first thing Monday morning and he would have test done. I have had bladder infections before and never experienced this pain in my side like this. I came home and took the pill he prescribed and will see if they work, but if I don't feel better by Saturday I will be going to emergency room. He also extended my leave until May 19th instead of returning to work on May 5th.

Just wanted to give you all an update, he never told me how he thought I was actually healing inside since we were both concentrating on the pain in my side.

What do you think of his diagnosis??? My mind has been working overtime trying to figure out what this pain could be. Any ideas.

Thanks
Unread 04-30-2009, 05:51 PM

I had a TVH so my recovery is different from everyone else's who have incisions.
My problem is soreness, like a bad episiotomy.
At almost 5 weeks, I'm still pretty sore at times, other times, not much pain at all. It's very wierd !!!
Other than that, my abdomen is only sore if I lean on it, like while brushing my teeth or something. I also feel like I'm working on my 2nd yeast infection (I guess that's a side effect to the TVH).
I will be starting work again next week, I gotta get back. I'm just hoping that I'll be ok there, I'm bored out of my mind at home all day.
Best wishes and fast recovery to all my Hyster Sisters.
Unread 04-30-2009, 08:16 PM

I am 5 weeks post op today. I still have pain and a burning sensation especially when I sit too long. I also have a numbness that radiates down my thighs at times. I felt like this before my hysterectomy (for stage IV endo) so it feels like it was all for nothing. I hope this is still part of the healing process as I am starting to feel frustrated I have a 6 week post op. appt. next week, but have been back at work since this past Monday. Hope we all get to feeling better soon!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register