Hysterectomy today 10/18: Can't pee. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy today 10/18: Can't pee. Hysterectomy today 10/18: Can't pee.

Unread 10-18-2017, 12:02 PM
Hysterectomy today 10/18: Can't pee.

Does anyone have a remedy when you can't pee?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2017, 06:52 PM
Re: Can't pee.

Hi chockfulloffun! Although I didn't have that issue, you may find this HS article helpful - 10 Tips for Temporary Urinary Retention. If trying these various tips do not help, it would be worth a call to your doctor's office as there could be something else going on.

You may also be interested in connecting with other sisters who had surgery this week. Here's the link - Recovery Progress Rpts Oct 16 - 22, 2017. I found it very helpful for me during my recovery to read about issues others were experiencing and as general support along with the recovery forum.

Best wishes for your continued recovery!
Unread 10-19-2017, 06:25 AM
Hysterectomy today 10/18: Can't pee.

In addition to the tips mentioned in the article, try soaking your hands or feet in a basin of warm water, which can also help your bladder to relax. Happy peeing, and best wishes for your continued recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2017, 07:00 AM
Re: Hysterectomy today 10/18: Can't pee.

Whistle while you are trying to go. When you whistle or for those who can’t whistle, blow through perched lips, you can not tighten the muscle down there while doing so. It works like a charm every time if the reason you can’t pee is because you aren’t relaxing....
Unread 10-19-2017, 01:54 PM

My surgery was at 3:30so I stayed overnight. The nurse kept getting me up every 30minutes to try to pee. It took several hours before I could go. The things we tried every time were warm water soak for my hand, and sniffing peppermint oil on a cotton ball. Apparently they have success with the peppermint oil. After awhile we also tried running water while trying to go because that can help too. It was frustrating but eventually I was able to pee (and then get some sleep!)
Unread 10-19-2017, 05:46 PM

It’s sad because the “old timers” taught the youngens the whistle while you pee trick many many years ago. The nurses today aren’t taught that trick. Truly it works like a charm every time. If any of you have this issue ever, remember the trick :-)
Unread 10-19-2017, 11:06 PM

Can't pee or don't have to? My Dr. had me take a bottle of magnesium citrate the day before surgery. It works, but I also spent the day throwing up. Needless to say I was severely dehydrated going into surgery. It took several iv bags, plus several pitchers of water before the bladder ultrasound even showed anything in my bladder. My surgery was at 7:30 am and I didn't pee until about 6:00 pm that night.
Good luck, but definitely call your doctor if you don't go soon.
Unread 10-20-2017, 01:59 PM

I actually had a foley catheter for almost 3 weeks after my surgery In September. I went home w/it and they tested my bladder 9 days after and it still wouldn't "wake up" another 10 days or so after It finally worked. I have an over active bladder so I constantly feel like I have a full bladder only to pee like 2 ounces..
You had a major surgery, Sometimes our bodies need more time to heal
I've never heard about the whistling to relax to pee, but I'd give it a shot ! Best of luck to you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register