Uncontrolled Pain? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Uncontrolled Pain? Uncontrolled Pain?

Unread 08-18-2010, 03:16 PM
Uncontrolled Pain?

I had a LSH two weeks ago and had my post-op appointment today. I was still on hydrocodone for pain. The pain is bad - I told the doctor that. But she said I should not be having pain this far out from the surgery and switched me to Ultracet. When I got home and the hydrocodone wore off and I took the ultracet - it absolutely did nothing for the pain. After about two hours I was shaking and crying and just in awful pain. I called the doctors office - crying - they said the nurse would call me back - and she did not.

Now the office is closed so I guess I have to stand it for the night. But I'm wondering if I should go back to my family doctor tomorrow if this pain is not caused by the hysterectomy? It's definitely in the area of the hysterectomy... I've had it ever since the surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Re: Uncontrolled Pain?

Oh gosh, poor you. Yes I would definitely go back to the doctor. Something sounds a bit odd doesn't it?

Unread 08-18-2010, 04:20 PM

They just called and told me to go to the ER! I refuse! This whole thing started in early June when my family doc was on vacation - so I went to my GI doc. He said see a GYN. That weekend the pain was so bad that I went to the ER - cost $7,000 and took 8 hours and the recommendation was - see a GYN. So when my family doc came back, went to him and he referred me to a GYN. She did the LSH two weeks ago - I woke up with a different pain (and the orginal one gone) but now says I should not have pain (takes away my pain med) and sends me back to the ER. I think I'm going to take an ambien and go back to my family doc tomorrow! Definitely do not want to spend the night in the ER...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne17 View Post
I had a LSH two weeks ago and had my post-op appointment today. I was still on hydrocodone for pain. The pain is bad - I told the doctor that. But she said I should not be having pain this far out from the surgery and switched me to Ultracet. When I got home and the hydrocodone wore off and I took the ultracet - it absolutely did nothing for the pain. After about two hours I was shaking and crying and just in awful pain. I called the doctors office - crying - they said the nurse would call me back - and she did not.

Now the office is closed so I guess I have to stand it for the night. But I'm wondering if I should go back to my family doctor tomorrow if this pain is not caused by the hysterectomy? It's definitely in the area of the hysterectomy... I've had it ever since the surgery.
Call the office, I am sure they have an emergency line and one of the doctors on call will call you back. Don't wait and tell them everything.

I had the same problem with my pain and it did not go away. I was on oxycodone and that did not help, then they put me on Tylenol 3 and that did not help, 1st week post op had a 107 fever with serious pain (had serous fluid collection that was causing the pain and that pain started day 1 out of surgery-never got a CT Scan until July 28th, surgery July 14th, out of hospital July 17-I suffered) and eventually 4 wks post op I am now pain free with no more serous fluid.

Please be persistent, this is your health we are talking about.

I am sorry.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out.
Unread 08-18-2010, 04:27 PM

Thanks. My sister is a doctor and she is upset they did not order a CT. The hydrocodone did not work until we doubled the dose - and then blurred the pain for 2 hours out of every 4. But MUCH better than the ultracet which does absolutely nothing.
Unread 08-18-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne17 View Post
Thanks. My sister is a doctor and she is upset they did not order a CT. The hydrocodone did not work until we doubled the dose - and then blurred the pain for 2 hours out of every 4. But MUCH better than the ultracet which does absolutely nothing.
You can request a CT/CAT Scan to be conducted. Depending how deep the pain is, which may be hard to tell since you are not the doctor, but you can probably determine how deep it is by touching the area. If it's painful to touch then you can probably get away with just a sonogram, which is what I should have gotten in the first place, but I wanted a CT/CAT Scan to see and make sure everything else was ok, and to determine if that was or was not the only thing that could be wrong with me internally.

I did get a sonogram today and no more serous fluid, which would the reason why I finally feel great and have no more pain.

Good luck and keep me posted.
Unread 08-18-2010, 05:15 PM

(((anne17)))

If you head to ER or an urgent care facility with an imagining unit, you could get a CT scan tonight to see what is going on.

I would encourage you to get seen with the pain you are describing, especially if your doctor has encouraged you to do so. Waiting might be too late. Major post surgical pain can be an indication of a lot of really serious issues.

If you must talk to your family doctor first, call the after hours number for that office.

Unread 08-18-2010, 05:17 PM

I second Weiser!
Unread 08-18-2010, 05:18 PM

I live in a small town. Both my gynecologist and family doctor have no partners and no after hours phone service. I'm still deciding whether to wait until tomorrow morning. The pain has not changed - only the medicine has changed. It cost $7,000 and took 8 hours when I went to the ER at the start of this whole thing two months ago.
Unread 08-18-2010, 09:29 PM

if the pain is intolerable, go to the ER and get some decent pain meds to get you through the night... chances are they will also do a CT scan...

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register