Myomectomy or Hysterectomy | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Myomectomy or Hysterectomy Myomectomy or Hysterectomy

Unread 09-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Myomectomy or Hysterectomy

I am deciding between myo or hysto now. I have a pretty severe case. 11 fibroids that measure between 3 cm and 6.9. I was told it may be 20-30 total bc there's a number of small ones. But the doc is willing to do it. I'm in my late 30s and haven't met mr wonderful yet. For me I just want to have a choice. The myo is more complicated, more risky since I'm very anemic... Building my iron now as I'm deciding. I have time. It's sept and I'm thinking I will do a surgery in Nov. Just not sure which one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Re: Myomectomy or Hysterectomy

I was faced with the same decision last month at 42. I'm married and we had to reconfirm we didn't want kids and I went with hystorectomy but kept my ovaries. I made this choice since with myomectomy fibroids can continue to return and I didn't want to be faced with another surgery. If there is any chance you want a baby have the myomectomy now and you will have time before fibroids grow again or get a hystorectomy further down the road. Davinci myomectomy results in much less blood loss I read. Maybe that's an option for you. Good Luck!
Unread 09-16-2012, 06:51 PM

If you want kids in future, remember the myo will buy you some time, the hyst is final. I've had friends opt to be single moms rather than wait, when they might not be fertile soon, so just because there is no one now doesn't mean you need to make a permanent decision ruling out fertility. Definitely do your research on minimally invasive surgery and experts in it. In the end it's your decision and I hope you find the right choice for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2012, 06:17 PM

Thank you for the words of wisdom ladies. Ive been doing a lot of reading and have decided to go with the myo. I've scheduled it for Nov.
You all are awesome! Thank you for your support.
Unread 09-29-2012, 08:06 PM

Hi

I recommend a myomectomy....

I went to 3 Dr's who recommended a hysterectomy .. I finally went to the 4th and he did a myomectomy for me .. My fibroid was 16cm x 16 cm and weighed 12 lbs.. It was massive .. My surgery took 3.5 hrs .. very little blood loss.. In the operating room I had 4Dr's 3 nurses .. A whole medical crew! The Dr took pictures and said it was one of the largest he had seen !!
Said it was the best thing I could have done!! I'm forever grateful ...i had a speedy recovery .. Walking the next day and out of the hospital 3 days later !! Worked from home for a week...and driving to work exactly 12 days later... Everyone was shocked!! Thank god I've always been fit and worked out !!
I thank god every day !!! I do rest up when I get home but take my vitamins and supplements to help the healing ...
Its always good to get many opinions ... I was determined !!

Do ur homework ..I had many Dr's tell me I don't need my uterus because I'm not having kids? As though it were useless? I was born with it... and **** it if anyone was going to take it!! I'm so happy I finally had my fibroids removed...
I looked into hi focused ultra sound, da Vinci ,Uterine embolism, but my options were limited because of the fibroid size and location...

And happier that I still have my uterus! And all parts intact!

My large fibroid was pedunculated and I had 4 in total ...they were all outside of the uterus ...p.s also had an 8cm size of an orange..I was a walking fibroid..now they are all gone.. .wishing everyone a speedy recovering and blessings...

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register