I need help...almost 4 weeks post-op. | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I need help...almost 4 weeks post-op. I need help...almost 4 weeks post-op.

Unread 11-17-2013, 03:31 PM
I need help...almost 4 weeks post-op.

Hello. I just joined because I'm really having trouble. I had a LAVH on October 21. Not a lot of pain, did ok for a few days, etc. starting at about 1 week post op, I started having lightheadedness panic attacks, constant anxiety even when not having a panic attack, high heart rate, low BP, confusion, crying, cold limbs, nausea.
It's getting worse every day, not better. I've been to the gyno, the ER three times. I finally went to see my regular doctor.

The catch? I had both ovaries removed and my gyno is refusing HRT of any kind. My regular doctor seems perplexed by this. Just in case, she is sending me to get an MRI and to a cardio and endocrinologist. However, she thinks it is hormone withdrawal from sudden surgical menopause.
I'm sorry this is so long. I stay in my bedroom and shake. It's a challenge to get to the bathroom because I'm so lightheaded. All lab work is fine...no anemia. I've lost 13 lbs in two weeks.
Has anyone else had severe anxiety and these symptoms due to total hormone withdrawal with ovary removal?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2013, 03:47 PM
Re: I need help...almost 4 weeks post-op.

Oh, honey - you poor thing. It certainly does sound like hormones. Why won't your gyn prescribe hormones? That is just cruel. I hope you can get someone to do the right thing. I will be praying for you. Let us know.
Unread 11-17-2013, 03:47 PM

Time for a new gyno doctor. Mine's from Mayo (as I've mentioned before, ranked #1 nationally in gyno) and he said he'll completely back whatever choice I make regarding HRT. Since their rating is 100/100, with highest possible post-op safety rating, I think they know what they're talking about. I don't have any idea what's up with your doctor, but denying you HRT is ridiculous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2013, 03:49 PM

You might want to call a neurologist for antidepressants. Sounds like what I had before and after my hysto. I was told they help with the chemical imbalance too. I have had migraines and headaches along with some panic attacks and sleeplessness.
Very surprised your gyno didn't offer you any estrogen to help you to get over the hump. Hope you find some relief soon.
Unread 11-17-2013, 04:07 PM

Thanks, ladies! I was told each time I went to or called my gyno that "women don't NEED hormones, they are just for hot flashes." She said hormone withdrawal can't cause anxiety and brain fog. But everything else I've read online says it does and can!
I feel like I'm going crazy. I started using a natural progesterone cream yesterday, but I need estrogen, too. Is there an OTC estrogen out there?
Unread 11-17-2013, 04:08 PM

Did you have your thyroid checked? I had my thyroid ablated with radiation about 2 years ago due to Graves Disease (hyperthyroid - have to take Synthroid for thyroid replacement) and I know the symptoms are similar to peri-menopause / estrogen reduction. I had LAVH/BSO on Oct 24th and my endocrinologist just told me he will have to watch me closely as the estrogen adjustment will also affect my thyroid dose. I did start on HRT (1mg Estradiol) and had a hormone shot in the hospital. So far, I am doing surprisingly well, but your symptoms sound like they could be either estrogen or thyroid. I'm with mkreugall, it may be time for another gyn.
Unread 11-17-2013, 04:10 PM

My preliminary lab work said my thyroid looks fine, but they are setting up an endocrinologist appt for me in the next couple of weeks.
Unread 11-17-2013, 05:24 PM
I need help...almost 4 weeks post-op.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsADance View Post
Thanks, ladies! I was told each time I went to or called my gyno that "women don't NEED hormones, they are just for hot flashes." She said hormone withdrawal can't cause anxiety and brain fog. But everything else I've read online says it does and can!
I feel like I'm going crazy. I started using a natural progesterone cream yesterday, but I need estrogen, too. Is there an OTC estrogen out there?
I had the same issues. Found some cream I bought over the counter and works great. Progensa 20 its natural Progesterone and Bi-Estro its natural Estrtiol its made by AllVia. If you need I can get you more info. It helped me with the emotional side, headaches, nausea and overall sick feeling. Still having night sweats.
Unread 11-17-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcash View Post
I had the same issues. Found some cream I bought over the counter and works great. Progensa 20 its natural Progesterone and Bi-Estro its natural Estrtiol its made by AllVia. If you need I can get you more info. It helped me with the emotional side, headaches, nausea and overall sick feeling. Still having night sweats.

Yes, I would love more info. Thank you so very much. Where can I buy it?
Unread 11-17-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsADance View Post
Wow! That is simply AMAZING. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from my Mayo surgeon's advice. (Btw, he's published 44 different studies over 20 years regarding aspects of gyno and hysterectomy in particular with the National Institutes of Health.) He said women have different preferences and I need to thoroughly research which form (pill, patch, gel) and what dosage I'd like to try, that is will take some patience to get the right dosage, but with the right form and dosage, HRT can improve the quality of my life. When was the last time your gyno peeked at some research? I'm guessing the 90's, when that women's health initiative study had the BS about HRT risks (9 more out of 10,000 raising risks by 24%, etc). Has she seen any of the research relating surgical menopause to early onset dementia, for example? I doubt it, if she's giving you crappy advice like that. That doc needs to attend a conference or subscribe to a periodical or something. Anyway, seeing this, I want to amend my former comment:

It is absolutely time for a new gyno.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register