Scary experience 15 days post-hysterectomy | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scary experience 15 days post-hysterectomy Scary experience 15 days post-hysterectomy

Unread 03-03-2014, 10:01 AM
Scary experience 15 days post-hysterectomy

I wanted to tell you all about what happened to me and see if this has happened to anyone else.
I had a daVinci hysterectomy, took cervix and kept ovaries, on Valentines day. Since then I have had minimal spotting, which increases slightly if I am active or if I try to do too much.
On Saturday, which was post-op day 15, I was driving my sons to the movies and meeting my husband there with my step-son. I was about halfway to the theater when I sneezed, and had a very sudden gush of fluid out of my vagina. I had no idea what had just happened, and I didn't want to scare my boys, so I continued driving to the theater to meet my husband and see what had happened. When I got there, I discovered bright red blood all over me, the car seat, the floor and even the floor of the back seat. I was trying so hard not to freak out at this point. My husband called the doctor and he said it was "normal" and as long as clear abdominal fluid wasn't coming out it was ok. Since I couldn't feel anything else coming out, I decided to drive home and have my husband follow me. I made it home and he cleaned me up and got me in bed. I was still bleeding at this point. My husband called the doctor, and he said to lie still in bed for an hour, and if I was still bleeding at that point to go to the ER. I waited an hour, and things had slowed up.
I decided to try to take a nap, at this point I was exhausted from the whole experience. My husband left to run an errand and about 15 minutes after he left, I rolled over in bed and felt the bleeding start again. I barely made it into the bathtub before blood gushed out again. Luckily I had picked up my phone on the way, and I called my husband. He came rushing back home and I sat half naked in the bathtub for 20 minutes until he got there. He could not even get all of the blood off of me this time, but he got me dressed and into the car to go to the hospital.
I felt like total crap by the time I got there. Long story short, the PA examined me and said the bleeding looked like it had stopped and my stitches were intact. I got a liter of fluid and they called my doctor who seemed to be happy with everything and they sent me home.
Since then, I have had not too much bleeding, almost back to how it was before all of this happened. Has this happened to anyone else? I don't feel like the hospital gave me a very good explanation as to what happened. Now I am scared to do anything for fear it will happen again. I don't feel like I had been overdoing it prior to this, so I'm not sure what else I can do?
Thanks for reading and for all of your help on this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2014, 02:29 PM
Re: Scary experience 15 days post-op

If it was me, I would insist on seeing the surgeon and not a PA. That doesn't sound right at all. Bleeding like that should not happen.
Unread 03-03-2014, 02:59 PM

Please make an appointment with your doctor to be seen asap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2014, 04:52 PM

That sounds absolutely terrifying! I know I get nervous when I feel or see anything different...I can't imagine how scared you must have been. (What a wonderful husband you have!!!)

I hope you can take it VERY easy for the next few days! And I hope the rest of your recovery is smooth and problem free.
Unread 03-03-2014, 05:22 PM

Did they give you an exam and actually LOOK at the stitches? That sounds so scary.
Unread 03-06-2014, 11:58 PM

I'm so sorry you had to go through that! I would have been scared too! Definitely ask more questions... I wouldn't be ok with "oh it's normal" either! Sending blessings and prayers you heal soon! We share the same surgery date....I had LAVH and bilateral Salpingo & oophorectomy...
Unread 03-07-2014, 05:27 AM
Re: Scary experience 15 days post-hysterectomy

How are you doing?
Unread 03-16-2014, 08:05 PM
Re: Scary experience 15 days post-hysterectomy

I have had 2 bouts of very heavy red blood since my DaVinci total hysterectomy. Everything take. I keep being told they are blood pockets. Not to worry. Then I though I had a urinary tract infection, ended up being bacterial vaginosis. They have no idea had ow I got that either. I am single, and never douche, the two ways I was told one gets these. I feel very frustrated with all of this. I am 60 years old, do foster care for teen boys. This is not easy to deal with alone.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register