3 Days Post-hysterectomy and feeling great | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 Days Post-hysterectomy and feeling great 3 Days Post-hysterectomy and feeling great

Unread 11-23-2014, 01:25 PM
3 Days Post-hysterectomy and feeling great

Hi,
I am 3 days post-op (Da Vinci and they took uterus and tubes, left ovaries). I feel great! My doctor warned me that i would feel good and not to overdo it bc there is still a lot to heal inside. I am terrified of doing something internally and not knowing it. I literally have zero pain and have not even taken my motrin today. What should I be looking for and what should I avoid? Walking up the stairs ok? My husband just got onto me for folding clothes but that seems easy enough and didn't hurt.

The worst part so far has been the gas but that seems to have almost gone away completely, thank goodness!

Any advice would be fantastic! Thanks so much! I just don't want to hurt anything!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2014, 01:37 PM
Re: 3 Days Post-Op and feeling great

Stairs are OK, just not lots of stairs in one day. No "up and down and up and down" over and over in one day. And use the handrail! My Dr told me you can go up the stairs, but you CAN'T fall down. So don't carry things up or down the stairs, because you need to hold the handrail. I also had a restriction on lifting things of under 10 pounds. Your Dr will provide this guideline; I have read on this website lifting restrictions that range from 5-20 pounds. No vacuuming, mowing, or pushing a grocery cart. Don't walk your dog if they are big and like to pull the leash really hard (like mine does!!) Walk every day, but balance it out with lots of REST every day. Take good care of yourself and I hope you have a successful recovery!!
Unread 11-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Re: 3 Days Post-Op and feeling great

You really need to ask your dr because everyone has different restrictions. Lifting, sex, bathing/swimming restrictions are very common. I was not restricted from vacuuming, stairs nor pushing a shopping cart. They didn't give these instructions in your pre op or at discharge? Did you read your discharge papers? If you can't find them, just call your drs office,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2014, 08:32 AM
Re: 3 Days Post-hysterectomy and feeling great

you sound just like me! I had a DaVinci and kept both ovaries and tubes on Nov 20th as well. I've had no pain from the beginning, only some mild cramping the first couple of days. I've not needed any pain medicine. I am not lifting or folding or pushing or bending to pick up things, but I did drive 2 miles to get my daughter from school yesterday and will today as well. My only issue is trying to poop finally today is not fun.
are you still feeling good?
Unread 11-25-2014, 08:59 AM

I DO still feel great. I haven't taken any meds-honestly I can hardly even tell that I had surgery, it's so strange! I almost wish I felt SOMETHING so I would feel like I had reason to lay around. My husband freaks out when I squat down to pick something up but it doesn't hurt or anything-but that's what I was wondering about. My dr said I wouldn't really know if I did something to mess things up until it was too late and I was bleeding. There was such a difference between what he told me and what the nurses/discharge papers said that I was just curious what everyone else experienced. And yes, I know what you mean about pooping, ha! I finally got to go this morning-hope you do too 😊

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vazdru View Post
you sound just like me! I had a DaVinci and kept both ovaries and tubes on Nov 20th as well. I've had no pain from the beginning, only some mild cramping the first couple of days. I've not needed any pain medicine. I am not lifting or folding or pushing or bending to pick up things, but I did drive 2 miles to get my daughter from school yesterday and will today as well. My only issue is trying to poop finally today is not fun.
are you still feeling good?
Unread 11-25-2014, 09:07 AM

I know just what you mean, I don't feel like I have had surgery either. I'm sure wearing this binder is helping me a lot, especially since I have been wearing jeans and sleeping on my side. I didn't even have any gas pain.
I did scare myself just before I left the hospital, I was peeing and getting dressed and didn't think and did the little "push" to empty my bladder fully and I started bleeding a little. They just gave me a pad and I was ok, but it scared me. I was terrified when I needed to poop today, but I finally did it and I didn't hurt myself. I'm praising the gods of coffee and colace.
I'm really glad I'm not the only one who has done this well, I thought maybe I was a freak of nature or something. *LOL*
Unread 11-25-2014, 09:46 AM

I am right there with you. I had my daVinci on 11/18. I never took prescription pain meds after I left the hospital. I told my mom and my husband that I don't even feel like I had surgery. I haven't even been overly tired - I took a nap during the afternoon the first day home, and haven't taken another one since.

I can pretty much do anything I want. Still, we have to be careful. Just because I can do something doesn't mean I should. I baked some bread yesterday, but my husband lifted the bowl on the mixer and did all the bending and pulling things out of the oven. I feel well enough to do it, but I am not taking any chances. If I drop something on the floor, I use my grabber to pick it up. Again, it does not hurt to bend over, but if I can avoid it I might as well.

I even talked to the nurse at my doctor's office about going back to work early. She said unless I really needed to go back early they would prefer I stay off until I see the doc at 4 weeks. She said that people sometimes feel great and go back to work early, but it is easy to fall into old habits, and do something you shouldn't be doing without even thinking. She said relax and enjoy the time off and pamper myself.

Hope our recoveries continue to go well!
Unread 11-25-2014, 09:50 AM

It's good to hear from others going through the same thing and experiencing the same thing! I hope we continue to do well!

As far as the binder goes, I have one but haven't used it yet. I want to but don't know if I should or if I need to. Do you wear it tight? I have one left from after having babies when I wanted to suck it all in, ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog123 View Post
I am right there with you. I had my daVinci on 11/18. I never took prescription pain meds after I left the hospital. I told my mom and my husband that I don't even feel like I had surgery. I haven't even been overly tired - I took a nap during the afternoon the first day home, and haven't taken another one since.

I can pretty much do anything I want. Still, we have to be careful. Just because I can do something doesn't mean I should. I baked some bread yesterday, but my husband lifted the bowl on the mixer and did all the bending and pulling things out of the oven. I feel well enough to do it, but I am not taking any chances. If I drop something on the floor, I use my grabber to pick it up. Again, it does not hurt to bend over, but if I can avoid it I might as well.

I even talked to the nurse at my doctor's office about going back to work early. She said unless I really needed to go back early they would prefer I stay off until I see the doc at 4 weeks. She said that people sometimes feel great and go back to work early, but it is easy to fall into old habits, and do something you shouldn't be doing without even thinking. She said relax and enjoy the time off and pamper myself.

Hope our recoveries continue to go well!
Unread 11-25-2014, 10:18 AM

I don't wear the binder too tight, about my hand's length or a little less in. it's been great help to me, especially at night when I'm on my sides. When I was in recovery they asked if I could lift myself so they could put it under me and I lifted myself clear off the table and I heard the gasps of surprise. *lol*

it is really good to hear others doing so well after this, I wish everyone felt this good post surgery.
Unread 11-25-2014, 10:24 AM

Don't do anything that involves holding your breath and stiffening your upper body -- you know that sort of straining thing you can do if you are lifting things or sitting on the toilet. I was okay walking up stairs after a few days (I had a TAH though), and what I did was take a very shallow breath and NOT close my throat to hold it before walking up.

BTW, your husband's a doll for getting on you for folding clothes. Even better if he volunteers to fold them instead. :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register