Hysterectomy vs. UFE! Please Convince me! I'm confused! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy vs. UFE! Please Convince me! I'm confused! Hysterectomy vs. UFE! Please Convince me! I'm confused!

Unread 10-09-2014, 10:50 AM
Hysterectomy vs. UFE! Please Convince me! I'm confused!

Hi Sisters,

42 yr old sis with a 7cm fibroid. My hysterectomy is scheduled for Oct. 29 (recommended by 2docs).

I have done a lot of reading and considerations, and something just doesn't feel rigt about getting the hysterectomy. So, I trusted my guts and consulted a Gyn friend who works out of town (read: he doesn't have any monetary interest in the procedure). He highly recommended to try UFE first before going under the knife. He said the success rate is over 80%.

I am leaning A LOT towards UFE. I am aware of the pain and the discomfort afterwards, and I take it over healing from inside out after hysterectomy, and the risk of bowel puncture. I have an appointment with my own doc to see was there really a good reason why he didn't recommend the UFE, or was it because he wouldn't get any benefits out of it!!!

But at the same time, I am reading some posts about sisters who ended up with a hysterectomy after UFE failed. I need help making up my mind!

Many hugs!

Your Confused Sister!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2014, 12:00 PM
Re: Hysterectomy vs. UFE! Please Convince me! I'm confused!

I am scheduled for UFE in December, so haven't been through it yet. I am like you the thought of the short-term pain over the healing process is appealing, which is part of the reason I decided to go with UFE. Most IRs have good pain management protocols these days too. It is definitely something to ask about.

From what I have read there are two main reasons why people have a hysterectomy after UFE. One they had an additional issue other than a fibroid that was contiuing to cause problems like endo for example. The problem may or may not have been diagnosed pre-UFE. Or they grew new fibroids or the fibroids were not completely embolized during the first procedure. Some people have to have UFE done more than once, but it can be done. Personally, fibroids are currently the only thing I am diagnosed with and I don't have most of the "typical" issues pain, excessive bleeding. My main problem is bulk so I am happy to try UFE and if need be potentially repeat it down the road simply because it doesn't require a long down time.
There are other treatments for fibroids that you can explore. I have seen 4 GYNs and only 1 pushed hysterectomy. All the others felt I was a candidate for less invasive procedures and my fibroids are bigger than yours. Definitely ask about UFE and maybe just make an appointment with an IR and see what they say, so you get a totally different side of the story.
Unread 10-09-2014, 06:44 PM

I was very seriously looking at UFE and doing all the pre-procedure stuff when my largest fibroid degenerated.
My GYN, who is very much in favor of UFE recommended an emergency hysterectomy.
The surgeon also agreed and I was scheduled very quickly. I had little time to absorb the whole thing. The day before I was so panicked. I don't think I will ever forget how I felt. So I called my surgeon and was brutally honest. It was probably one of the most upfront conversations I've ever had. Especially with someone who I barely knew.
I said no to the surgery and asked to have his help in trying the UFE with a myomectomy. He said he was committed to trying so a week later I had UFE and the next day a vaginal myo.
It's been over a year now and the results are wonderful. No more issues at all.
I'm very thankful that my doctors let me try it even though I technically wasn't a candidate anymore. I was quite sick going into it and the risk of infection was scaring everyone.
It certainly can't hurt to look into it and see if it would help you.
Hugs and best wishes to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2014, 01:18 AM

I had UFE over 2 years ago for a 9cm fibroid. My uterus was 22-24 weeks. I had a lot of bulk and bleeding. Today it is approximately 5-7 weeks in size. The bleeding and flooding stopped immediately as the fibroid dies within minutes. UFE was the best choice I ever made! I highly recommend it. Not only did I avoid surgical menopause but I avoided an invasive surgery that I did not want. I went to 7 doctors before one spilled the UFE beans. I'm not sure if this non disclosure is revenue driven or the delusion ob/gyn's have the uterus is non-vital and dispensable. I do not agree with this premise and had UFE which worked out wonderfully!
Unread 10-14-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterduke View Post
I had UFE over 2 years ago for a 9cm fibroid. My uterus was 22-24 weeks. I had a lot of bulk and bleeding. Today it is approximately 5-7 weeks in size. The bleeding and flooding stopped immediately as the fibroid dies within minutes. UFE was the best choice I ever made! I highly recommend it. Not only did I avoid surgical menopause but I avoided an invasive surgery that I did not want. I went to 7 doctors before one spilled the UFE beans. I'm not sure if this non disclosure is revenue driven or the delusion ob/gyn's have the uterus is non-vital and dispensable. I do not agree with this premise and had UFE which worked out wonderfully!
How was your recovery? I've been told it is very painful. But I am ready to take it over the major surgery recovery, healing from inside out!
Unread 10-14-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backhome View Post
I was very seriously looking at UFE and doing all the pre-procedure stuff when my largest fibroid degenerated.
My GYN, who is very much in favor of UFE recommended an emergency hysterectomy.
The surgeon also agreed and I was scheduled very quickly. I had little time to absorb the whole thing. The day before I was so panicked. I don't think I will ever forget how I felt. So I called my surgeon and was brutally honest. It was probably one of the most upfront conversations I've ever had. Especially with someone who I barely knew.
I said no to the surgery and asked to have his help in trying the UFE with a myomectomy. He said he was committed to trying so a week later I had UFE and the next day a vaginal myo.
It's been over a year now and the results are wonderful. No more issues at all.
I'm very thankful that my doctors let me try it even though I technically wasn't a candidate anymore. I was quite sick going into it and the risk of infection was scaring everyone.
It certainly can't hurt to look into it and see if it would help you.
Hugs and best wishes to you.
Sorry you had to go through all that, but glad that you are feeling well! And yes! sometimes being brutally honest is the only way to go. Afterall, it is your body and your choice!

I am meeting with my obgyn tomorrow to have my share of brutally honest conversation!
Unread 10-14-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bef-99 View Post
I am scheduled for UFE in December, so haven't been through it yet. I am like you the thought of the short-term pain over the healing process is appealing, which is part of the reason I decided to go with UFE. Most IRs have good pain management protocols these days too. It is definitely something to ask about.

From what I have read there are two main reasons why people have a hysterectomy after UFE. One they had an additional issue other than a fibroid that was contiuing to cause problems like endo for example. The problem may or may not have been diagnosed pre-UFE. Or they grew new fibroids or the fibroids were not completely embolized during the first procedure. Some people have to have UFE done more than once, but it can be done. Personally, fibroids are currently the only thing I am diagnosed with and I don't have most of the "typical" issues pain, excessive bleeding. My main problem is bulk so I am happy to try UFE and if need be potentially repeat it down the road simply because it doesn't require a long down time.
There are other treatments for fibroids that you can explore. I have seen 4 GYNs and only 1 pushed hysterectomy. All the others felt I was a candidate for less invasive procedures and my fibroids are bigger than yours. Definitely ask about UFE and maybe just make an appointment with an IR and see what they say, so you get a totally different side of the story.

Thank you, and best of luck. I'll keep you posted of my decision.
Unread 10-14-2014, 03:06 PM

My IR took a ver aggressive approach to pain management. I had little pain. I was advised to take the medicine every 6 hours for 4 days and I did. You will hear the expression "to stay ahead of the pain" and this is important. After 4 days I was advised to take Ibuprofen as needed. It is important to take care of the nausea too. My IR used Dilaudid vs. Morphine because it does not affect the nausea part of the brain and is 7 times stronger. After 4 days I felt pretty darn good. It works very well for 85% of us.
  Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophari View Post
How was your recovery? I've been told it is very painful. But I am ready to take it over the major surgery recovery, healing from inside out!
Unread 10-14-2014, 07:02 PM

Hi! I had a large fibroid that was causing severe bleeding, etc. I opted for the hysterectomy because I am done having children and I wanted a permanent solution. With UFE there is a chance you can grow the fibroids back--especially if you are younger, like I am (37). I would discuss all options with your doctor--UFE as well as hysterectomy. There are many different types of hysterectomy, etc. I had a TVH (total vaginal hyst) which involved no incisions in my abdomen. I also kept my ovaries so no menopause. I was in hospital overnight and went home with ibuprofen only pain equal to normal menstrual cramps. I was pain free in a week and back to most of my normal activities besides heavy lifting. It is was the best option for me. Good luck and I hope you find the best solution for you!
Unread 10-14-2014, 07:54 PM

Fibroids, if embolized completely, cannot "grow" back because they begin to die immediately. It is their death that causes the horrible pain. Bloodlines feeding the fibroids can be missed. In this case the fibroid never dies completely and will eventually become problematic. I had multiple vessels feeding mine which is why it is important to have an experienced and fastidious IR. It is after a myo fibroids have a tendency to "grow" back typically a result of morcellation. Your doctor made a mis-statement.
  Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljl10604 View Post
Hi! I had a large fibroid that was causing severe bleeding, etc. I opted for the hysterectomy because I am done having children and I wanted a permanent solution. With UFE there is a chance you can grow the fibroids back--especially if you are younger, like I am (37). I would discuss all options with your doctor--UFE as well as hysterectomy. There are many different types of hysterectomy, etc. I had a TVH (total vaginal hyst) which involved no incisions in my abdomen. I also kept my ovaries so no menopause. I was in hospital overnight and went home with ibuprofen only pain equal to normal menstrual cramps. I was pain free in a week and back to most of my normal activities besides heavy lifting. It is was the best option for me. Good luck and I hope you find the best solution for you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register