Hi! I'm new to the site. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hi! I'm new to the site. Hi! I'm new to the site.

Unread 02-10-2001, 11:01 AM
Hi! I'm new to the site.

Hello everyone!

I just found this site yesterday and was so excited as it is just what I need at this time. I went through two years of seeing doctors and being told I had Irritable Bowel syndrome and that I should drink Milk of Magnesia. Well, I should have taken stock in the company as I think I have drank at least 30 bottles of the stuff.

I finally got fed up and wrote a whole sheet of my symptoms and talked with my Mom about it. She indicated that she had a hysterectomy at age 31 (I am 33) and that I should look into endometriosis. Well, I was astounded to see that every one of my symptoms hit the list.

I had a beloved GYN that I had to stop seeing due to a change in insurance and was excited to find out that as of Jan 1st, 2001 I could see him again. I made an appointment and he scheduled a diagnostic laproscopy which he performed three days ago.

He told my husband that I was a textbook case of stage 3 endometriosis and that my ovaries were just gone. I had chocolate cysts as well. He also said that I have had it probably all my life. He showed Kevin the pictures where I had blue spots all over my ovaries and then showed him some white spots that were burned out endo indicating I have had it a long time. He also said it affected my uterus too.

I am so relieved to finally have someone confirm what is wrong with me. If I heard IBS one more time, I was going to scream. I have an appointment with the doctor on Wed morning and although he is leaving it up to me, he suggests a hysterectomy and my Mom indicated it would be a total one. My whole family is in accordance with the doc so I am sure that soon I will be undergoing this surgery.

Right about now, I am just still hurting from the laproscopy and cannot seem to control my tears. I'm not a cryer, so it seems odd to me that I keep crying at the drop of a hat. I chalk it up to fear. I'm not afraid of losing my woman parts...just afraid of the whole deal. I am an extremely active person and literally cannot sit still. Just to give an indication, I had the surgery Thurs and was up at 6:30am Friday making my husband his lunch and feeding the animals. I just hate to be down. How will I cope?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2001, 11:42 AM
Hi! I'm new to the site.

You really won't have a choice but to rest for at least 6 wks. It's very important because your body needs this time to heal. Take this time to pamper yourself. I had TAH-BSO on 5-2-00 and I've never felt better. My best to you for a quick and healthy recovery.

God Bless,
Teresa

Unread 02-10-2001, 12:41 PM
Hi! I'm new to the site.

http://www.bluemountain.com/eng3gifs...onsible2cp.gif

"I just hate to be down. How will I cope?"

You start with a great big Hyster Sister Bunny Hug! Then, you tell yourself that we're here for you, and you CAN do this. Try to be as aggressive about your healthy recovery as you are about being so active. Your body is going to rely heavily on your smarts to stay put for a while. Look at it as your gift to YOU. Guess what? Your family will also learn a valuable lesson as well... that mom's need to take time out! Mom's are also allowed to hang up that blasted SuperWoman cape and allow herself to be pampered.

Your diagnosis sounds so much like mine that I was almost in tears. I so understand the frustration of NOT really knowing where the pain is coming from. Then, one day, voila.. the answers are all falling into place. I'm so happy for you. The decision about whether the hysterectomy is right for you, lies solely with you and your doctor. I'm excited to hear that he's one you really like. Mine was a keeper also. We came to the decision together with him respecting my concerns, fears and desires completely.

I won't ramble on any further. Just know that it's SO VERY important that you try to keep:
A positive outlook
Some peace of mind
A pro active attitude
A commitment to your recovery
And, a computer nearby to reach us when you need some boosting up.

Welcome to Hystersisters!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2001, 03:32 PM
Hi! I'm new to the site.

Thank you for the support. I have a feeling it will be much needed in the next few weeks.

I have a wonderfully supportive husband, but I find this to be much more satisfying as you have all or are all going through the same thing.

I do have a question though:

My very dear friend had a C-section and we are wondering if the recovery for the total hysterectomy is similar to that of having a C-section, or is it worse?
Unread 02-10-2001, 03:56 PM
Hi! I'm new to the site.

Every person's surgery experience is different, just as every woman's hysterectomy expreience is different. C Section is less invasive then a hysterectomy (depending on the hyster). There is no "worse" or "better"... just different. I wish there were a manual to reference on this stuff. One that we could sink our teeth into, and bring a bit more comfort to the stress of the unknown. All I can say is that if you have done your homework, have confidence in your doc and your post op care folks.... then the only thing left to do is prepare to take the best care of YOU that you can. Get that nest of yours ready since you're going to be in it a while. Prepare everyone around you by asking for the help you need. This is very do-able. Honest!

Look at it this way... after your hyster you won't have a baby to tend to like after that friends C Section.
Unread 02-10-2001, 04:20 PM
How to cope with recuperation

Wellllll, you WILL get antsy, so I suggest you plan ahead. Personally, I had an organizer come in ahead of time and help me organize my 'stuff' because I knew I would keep feeling like I had to clean a closet or something if it wasn't done ahead of time.

THEN, think of things you LOVE to do or that you have always wanted to do that you can do sitting down or better yet, reclining. How about a book you've been wanting to read? I got a cross stitch project out that I've been wanting to start for the past two years. I love it and I just got it out today (two weeks post op on Monday). I also have a knitting project I am in the middle of and CDs all chosen and sitting there waiting to be heard. I've listened to some of those already. I got some Hyster Sisters note cards and plan to use them soon to write thank yous to my doctors and some of the hospital staff. And OF COURSE you MUST have easy access to your computer!

This is also a great time to have somebody give you a pedicure and a manicure, rub lotion on the parts that don't hurt, and generally just be that pampered that you deserve to be!!

Unread 02-11-2001, 06:19 AM
I had 2 cesareans....

and I also had a TAH on November 28th. The recovery time for me was MUCH different. My doctor had let me know also that the section was a walk in the park compared to a TAH. Don't let this make you nervous, I am a self proclaimed cry baby! I do not deal with pain well at all, thankfully there are all KINDS of pain meds to choose from...
Having a baby and placenta removed from your body is normal, having an organ removed is not. Simple as that. Your body will give everything it has to 'healing the injury' (as my doc liked to tell me), which was much more extensive than either one of my cesareans.
Give yourself the time you need to heal, that is what made the difference with me. My DH, my kids, my co-workers all pitched in to make my recovery easier. I went back to work at 7 weeks, and after that first exausting day, I felt like I had never left. I teach kindergarten, and that is no cushy job!! I feel better now than I have felt in years, and at 28, my life is back. I am thankful everyday for what I did to take care of myself, today, the surgery seems like a distant dream, something that I will suddenly remember I went through.
Good luck to you sister, I am sending tons of (((((HUGS))))) your way!
Love,
Ami
Unread 02-11-2001, 06:29 AM
Hi! I'm new to the site.

Ami, something you said made me feel so hopeful. I am scared of the operation, but I really want to feel good again. You said you feel great and the operation is a distant memory...oh, wonderful.

I have a sneaky feeling that since I have probably had this all my life, I will feel better post-op than I have ever felt in my life. Wouldn't that be wonderful? To discover how much suffering the disease actually put me through?

I have no children, but I have my wonderful animals to fill the void and an even more wonderful husband. My parents live 15 min away and are very supportive. I will make it through!

Tracey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register