Sudden mood swings?!?!? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sudden mood swings?!?!? Sudden mood swings?!?!?

Unread 11-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Sudden mood swings?!?!?

Oh man....

I'm 3 weeks post op today. I had the works - LAVH, BSO, A&P repair, and TVT. I've run the gamut with some bladder issues and the catheter only being removed last week, but I really felt like I was doing ok.

I'm not on any hormone replacement and felt pretty good, the hot flashes were actually weaker than they had been before surgery, but then yesterday.. BAM!

I think it's mood swings but I don't know. I'm very angry but have no reason to be, for two days I've been on the on the verge of tears, gritting my teeth and feel like I'm ready to crawl out of my skin.

Is this how they hit? Just sudden and strong with no warning, or could something else be going on here?

I gotta tell you, this scares me. My husband is a combat vet with PTSD after his last deployment - He JUST began to get help after 3 years of refusing to speak to a counselor. I have to have a level head....

I DO have a call into my doctors office and am waiting for him to return my call... I guess I'm just looking for some guidance, and maybe a little hand holding.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2008, 03:23 PM
Sudden mood swings?!?!?

Wendy,
It happens to the best of us. And you do have reason to be mad, sad or anxious, you had major surgery, and your hormones have been put into a tail spin, if they are bothersome do call your Dr. mine has me on anxiety meds, I know exactly how you feel w/ wanting to crawl out of your skin, its a horrible feeling. Just know you are not alone. I wish you all the best, please no you are in my prayers.
Unread 11-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Sudden mood swings?!?!?

Same here, you're not crazy, just things working themselves out in your body. My doc put me on some anti-anxiety meds until the storm passes, and they help(i still have my moments, but they're not constant) Hang in there, you're not alone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Sudden mood swings?!?!?

I'm also in high anxiety...felt pretty good for the past week, then yesterday waiting to vote....wham, felt super anxious. Today I had a full fledged panic attack (I have a long history of anxiety problems).

I need some advice on talking to my doctor. My primary care physician gave me a very small (45 pills) prescription for xanax at my last check up to be used "as needed" for the entire year. I have my post-surgery appointment on Monday with my gyn/surgeon, and would like to talk to him about my anxiety but I get so skittish in front of doctors I'm afraid I will not be able to bring it up or if I do, I will break down. I feel like I'm on edge, but because I don't have very many xanax pills, I feel I need to ration them.

Can someone guide me through talking to my doctor, and not having them look at me like I'm a number but a real person. I feel like I need some help getting through this, but my clinic always treats requests for drugs like I'm an addict (although my medical chart will show I do not request a gazillion pills or have a ton of visits).

Thank you so much, I love all the advice here.

Amy
LSH/ovarian cyst/ovary removal 10/27/08
Left ovary still there!
Unread 11-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Sudden mood swings?!?!?

Amy,
First off you should never feel as if you are a number, I suggest you take in the bottle of pills and show them your not abusing them, also let them know that they are really helpful to you and would like to be able to take them regualary untill you feel better, and if you do break down, so what, I cried like a baby today at my Dr. appt. mine gives me 90 pills a month to be taken 3 times a day I take lorazepam and he gives me 30 mg of remeron to take at night. If your Dr. won't be of any help then I suggest you find one that will. also have them take a look at your chart so they can see your not a addict, and most important do not hold back anything, you are in control of your health, the Dr's only help.
Lots of prayers and a big to you, please keep us posted for you are never alone among systers
Unread 11-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Sudden mood swings?!?!?

Thank you all for your replies, it does help to know that it's not just me in this boat.

Doc hasn't called back yet and feeling so out of control is kind of freaking me out.. I'm beginning to think it's a good thing I'm home alone right now.

HUgs to all of you
Unread 11-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Sudden mood swings?!?!?

Wendy, I too have a combat vet with PTSD. Worring about him when you are going through all of this can get to be too much to handle. And he is worried about you, even if he doesn't show it or has retreated into his "cave". You going through surgery is tough on you, but he wasn't in a happy place before and now he is way more insecure. Be nice to yourself. And talk to your doctor.

Amy, doctors are normal people. They have their fears and anxieties just like the rest of us. They wear white coats and go around looking like they are too busy to listen, but you need your doctor to help you. That's what they do. Bring someone with you if you get too nervous. Make a list of questions to ask. Make sure you write down your questions as they pop up and don't wait till you are on the way to the doctor's to try and think of what you need to ask. If you fall apart in the doctor's office that is OK. That's why they have a box of kleenex on their desks. Happens a couple of times a day. You are a real person asking another real person to get through this. Be honest with the doctors about your anxiety and you might also consider getting a referal to a psychiatrist to help you cope better with it.

Let us know how it goes, and you can PM me anytime.
Unread 11-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Sudden mood swings?!?!?

Jacquie,

How do you do it? It was tough enough before the surgery, but now I'm just so angry I feel like I'm going to blow at him and he's not even here.

He's just beginning to feel emotions other than anger - there can't be two of us in this house like this. I'm seriously scared.
Unread 11-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Sudden mood swings?!?!?

Well, doctor called back. Alprazolam tonight, an appointment tomorrow to go talk HRT.

Thank you again ladies for your kind words and support, ya just helped me over a very big hump and it's very much appreciated.
Unread 11-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Sudden mood swings?!?!?

Talk to your doctor about the patch. It keeps my moods and hot flashes at bay. I swear by mine

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register