one night in the hospital???? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

one night in the hospital???? one night in the hospital????

Unread 01-20-2005, 10:57 PM
hospital stay

TRUST ME you will want to go home ASAP-the nurses constantly bother you for your temp, the bed is uncomfortable, its not your pillow and it boils down to when you dont feel good you just want to be at home!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2005, 11:33 PM
one night in the hospital????

I have to say, I never thought there were advantages to being without insurance, but there was absolutely no restriction on my stay. I had surgery (TAH) on a Monday, and went home on Thursday.

My Doc wanted to keep me an additional day (or two) but, as half the floor had already come down with the 'plague' - whatever it was, I decided it would be a good time to leave. I had been warned about that the night before by my nurse.

My Doc's would not release me until I had proven several things - that I could pass gas, eat solid food, have a bowel movement, and walk unassisted (without the rails) up & down the hall. In addition, my blood pressure and other vital signs had to be in a normal range.

It's my understanding that regardless of what the insurance company may say, your vital signs have to be stable for them to release you. And on top of that, most Doc's have certain requirements before they will release you.

Unless the Doc has some kind of financial interest in releasing you early, I can't imagine why they would push for an early release. (you should ask)

I think it is unconscionable that they would try to release you after a hysterectomy, (any type) only one day after surgery. If we quietly accept that, without protest, then they will just figure they can reduce costs and get away with it. If you don't say something, who will?
Please be your own advocates! THIS IS MAJOR SURGERY!

joano
Unread 01-21-2005, 01:13 PM

I had one night in the hospital with my TAH on 1/12/05. Honestly, it wasn't that bad to get home into my own bed with my own food and my DH nearby (since he works at home). If you have someone at home with you, it may not be as bad as you think.

Hope all goes well for you.
Unread 01-22-2005, 05:27 AM

Thanks for the encouragement! My DH works long hours on Wall Street and although he can order take out with the best of them,patient care gives him the willies, My mother is coming, but she is 70, and my role is more waiting on her. She will take responsibility for my son who is 11, re: driving him to school, activities, etc. I think my Bichon will be my best bet! How are you doing 10 days post op?
Unread 01-22-2005, 06:30 AM

Hello acpd. 10 days post op and I feel "okay." This recovery stuff goes at a snail's pace! Yesterday, I took my first real walk outside in the sun. That is, out on the sidewalk, not just back and forth on the patio. For that, I put "real" clothes on for the first time as well.

If your mom brings you plenty of water and pain pills the first days, and if she can adjust your pillows a little now and then, maybe help you stabilize yourself to get out of bed, that is the most help I needed the first days. Of course, getting a hot meal was good too!

It gets better each day and I'm told that in the next week or two I will turn the corner?? Hope so.

Let me know how you do.

Take care.
Unread 01-22-2005, 06:37 AM

I'm glad I have halfway decent insurance! My insurance approved a 3 night stay and said they will approve more if needed. Being as my mom won't be here until the third day, I am going to use all the time I can. My doctor won't let me come home unless someone is here with me and my husband has to work.
Unread 01-22-2005, 12:08 PM
one day at a time...

My ins company has approved one day for me...but also said in the letter that THEY would contact the hospital on the day I go in to see whether I need a longer stay.

I know that they must've talked to my doctor, so am comfortable with this initial decision...am also confident that if my doc says that I -NEED- to stay, they won't argue.

Three-weeks and three days...and counting!
Unread 01-22-2005, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joano
I think it is unconscionable that they would try to release you after a hysterectomy, (any type) only one day after surgery. If we quietly accept that, without protest, then they will just figure they can reduce costs and get away with it. If you don't say something, who will?
Please be your own advocates! THIS IS MAJOR SURGERY!

joano
I agree totally joano. Releasing someone just 1 day after having major surgery like a TAH BSO sounds awful. My doc wants me in 4 days, thank god. If the insurance company tries to reduce it, I'll be on the phone with them in a second.

Please call them and also speak to your surgeons if you're being told by the insurance company that you must go home just one day post op. My prayers for those of you already home and getting well. Hang in there.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register