CA125 Results and Length of Recovery Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

CA125 Results and Length of Recovery Questions CA125 Results and Length of Recovery Questions

Unread 02-06-2010, 05:28 PM
CA125 Results and Length of Recovery Questions

I am scheduled for my hysterectomy on the 16th of this month. I still kind of confused about the whole thing though. In 2005 I had a dermoid cyst (yuck) removed. Because it was big he had to take the right ovary as well. Forward to now, I had a CA 125 drawn about a month ago. It was elevated. They have now drawn it 3 times and it is still elevated. When I had my dermoid it was elevated as well but after he did the surgery it went down to normal level. Because it has continued to be elevated he did an ultrasound. The ultrasound came back looking normal. He said the best thing to do now is a hysterectomy. He said I could do it now or wait 3 mths to get the blood test drawn again. The confusion I have is if Ultrasound was normal why is the CA 125 elevated. I know it is a tumor marker test but also can be elevated due to endometriosis. But I am afraid if I do wait 3 mths and I do have cancer, it will be to late to control it. Does anyone have a similar story?

More questions. My Dr. said he recommends being out of work for 4 weeks. I don't understand why if the surgery is being done vaginally why I have to be out for so long. I want to know what I am going to feel like. Where will the pain be? UHHHHH

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Re: CA125 Results and Length of Recovery Questions

JRP -

I can't answer the dermoid cyst and ca-125 questions for you. I didn't have a ca-125 done.

As for the vaginal hysterectomy and 4 weeks off and where will your pain be. Your pain could be radiating through your abdomen because ligaments will be cut to remove the uterus. You will have stitches in your vagina so there is discomfort and pain there as well. Also the time your Dr. is telling you is for initial healing. Full healing can actually take 6 months to a year.

I'm hoping other members will be along to answer your ca-125 question.

G.
Unread 02-09-2010, 04:38 PM

There can be false positives, but since you've had 3 of them I would ask your doctor about your concerns. I worked in Gyn Oncology in the mid 1990's when the CA-125 was an extremely new blood test and not used very often. Now I know it's used more often, but where I live the doctors still don't use it on a routine basis. I would ask him why he is concerned if you had a normal ultrasound and why he thinks you should have a hysterectomy because it sounds like you're wondering if there's a hurry to do this. Do you or a family member have a history of cancer or endometriosis? I would talk to your doctor some more since you have questions. If for no other reason than to ease your mind about doing the hysterectomy now rather than waiting.

As for the time off, I had a TVH, BSO, AP repair and TOT sling and my physician won't let me go back to work for 6 weeks. I am 4 weeks post op today and, quite honestly, can't imagine having to be back at work full time right now. I was told I literally have hundreds and hundreds of stitches. I had to go to the urologist on Friday and he told me several of them are still there (I thought they'd be gone by now), so I know I'm still healing. Even at 6 weeks, it sounded like he is going to put limits on me, even more so than my gyn doctor. I think every doctor is different as can be every surgery. It takes time to heal and I felt better the first two weeks post op than I have the in the last week or so (hit that bump in the road I guess), but am feeling better today. Best of luck with your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2010, 04:45 PM

I had a super cervical (everything out including the cervix) I had fibroids. In fact the surgeon said my uterus weighed one pound and was basically a fibroid. yuck.
Anyway, I had the DaVinci method on 1/20 and took 13 days of work off not counting weekends. I returned to work this Monday the 8th and I left work 1 hour early yesterday and only 10 min. early today. I have a desk job with some walking required. Right now I am on my back resting. If you have someone at home to cook, do laundry and you can sleep as needed when you get home, you should be fine in 4 weeks or less. If you get 4 weeks off paid....take it. I have almost no vaginal bleeding. My biggest complaint is that I feel cognitively slow. My leg muscles feel weak and so does my brain.
Unread 02-10-2010, 01:08 PM

Hi JRP, As I understand the CA125 can vary for many reasons. I suggest you ask your doctor why he wants the hysterectomy now. Also, if there is any suspicion of possible cancer, you may also want to consider getting an opinion from a gyn/onc. I know you'll make the right decision for you.
s
Unread 02-10-2010, 01:31 PM

He said since I have ovarian, cervical cancer in my family and the elevated CA-125 keeps getting higher he recommends the hysterectomy. Does everyone have this sling after TVH? Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register