Surgery tomorrow and scared of the silliest things! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery tomorrow and scared of the silliest things! Surgery tomorrow and scared of the silliest things!

Unread 09-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Surgery tomorrow and scared of the silliest things!

Well, the big day is almost here... and I find myself plagued by the silliest little worries! I'm nervous about having the cannula in the back of my hand, the icky feeling of cold fluid going up the arm veins when they start the IV, and whether or not I'll feel dizzy and cold when I wake up in recovery. These are all things I remember from previous surgeries.

Bizarrely, I'm not worried about the big things, like pain, or my surgeon botching the operation, or anything like that.

It's kind of like I'm preparing to walk a tightrope over a canyon, but my main concern is that my shoes might be too tight.

Does anyone else feel like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Re: Surgery tomorrow and scared of the silliest things!

Actually, I felt very much like that the last couple of days before my surgery. I asked them to put the cannula in my forearm rather than in the back of my hand, it doesn't seem to feel as weird. You could ask them to do that too, it might help.
Good luck!
Unread 09-11-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlreadyMe View Post
Actually, I felt very much like that the last couple of days before my surgery. I asked them to put the cannula in my forearm rather than in the back of my hand, it doesn't seem to feel as weird. You could ask them to do that too, it might help.
Good luck!
Oh, great tip! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Surgery tomorrow and scared of the silliest things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalcyclone View Post
Well, the big day is almost here... and I find myself plagued by the silliest little worries! I'm nervous about having the cannula in the back of my hand, the icky feeling of cold fluid going up the arm veins when they start the IV, and whether or not I'll feel dizzy and cold when I wake up in recovery. These are all things I remember from previous surgeries.

Bizarrely, I'm not worried about the big things, like pain, or my surgeon botching the operation, or anything like that.

It's kind of like I'm preparing to walk a tightrope over a canyon, but my main concern is that my shoes might be too tight.

Does anyone else feel like this?
I have issues with the IV in top of hand too. So when went in for hyster, I had them put the IV in the underside of my forearm. It was the best. No pain, I could move my hands before and after surgery. I will make sure I always have IV's put there from no on. Good luck. See u on the other side.
Unread 09-11-2012, 10:13 PM

I feel like that too. I am terrified of fainting and being sick when I come round and sit/stand/ going to toilet the first time. When I had hysterectomy earlier this yr I mentioned it and I was brought back very slowly and with feet elevated and it never happened for the first time.
Unread 09-12-2012, 07:08 AM

I'm starting to have the same things go on! I actually had a nightmare about needles. Lord knows I've had enough blood drawn and IV's in the past year to get over any hang up! It seems weird that I'm having the heebie geebies about this now.

I wonder if it's not our pschyes dealing the best they can. This is kind of a big deal. It might be a bit much for our minds to process, so they're nit picking to cope.

What ever it is, it can stop!
Unread 09-12-2012, 01:45 PM

Try to not let those things consume you. The nerves are normal and understandable. Tomorrow will come and your surgeon will do a fabulous job and you will begin the first day of your better quality of life!

I pray that you have peace and that tomorrow you have a successful surgery.

Lots of ((HUGS)) to you
Unread 09-12-2012, 02:10 PM

I'm worried about the needle... uhm... cannula... in my hand as well. I have this mental thing about needles... needle phobia, although I handle getting blood samples taken if I look away. Phobic about the needle prick though... but anyways, is it possible to have the cannula in the leg so I can pretend it's not there? I know I'll freak out if I have to have it in the arm.

Whenever I'm under anesthesia, they have to remove the cannula as soon as they see me waking up... otherwise, I panic.
Unread 09-12-2012, 02:21 PM

I was more worried about getting my IV than the surgery too. The anesthelogist sprayed some cold spray on my skin first and gave me a shot to numb the area where they were putting it and it helped alot. I wasn't worried about the surgery or being put to sleep. I wasn't cold or dizzy in recovery but my throat was sore from the breathing tube they put in after I was asleep. Best wishes to you!
Unread 09-12-2012, 04:05 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am two days post op and let me tell you, the nurses used a lidocaine injection and I didn't feel a thing when they put in the IV. You can always ask your nurse to warm your fluids to body temp so you won't feel it going in. I also wanted to say, I was a nervous wreck a week before the procedure. It's normal. I read so many supportive messages and read what to expect. It made me feel so much better. I don't regret my hysterectomy. Even, with my pains from gas, lol, I feel the best I have felt in years. Tomorrow will come and everything will be fine. Be sure to rely on others for help. Don't be afraid to ask for it. This is your time. It is all about you. Don't feel bed about it. I wish you an easy surgery and an even easier recovery. Soft hugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register