LSH scheduled and I'm h | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LSH scheduled and I'm h LSH scheduled and I'm h

Unread 11-01-2012, 08:44 AM
LSH scheduled and I'm h

I found out that I have a 3.5cm fibroid. It has caused pain in my lower back and abdomen and during sex. Since I've already had my tubes tied, my doctor suggested I go ahead with a LSH, I'm 34, and chances are its just going to get bigger. I'm worried that I will be doing more harm than good by going forth with this.

I'm a runner and scared taking time off will just make me stop running altogether. I'm also worried about weight gain, sex afterwards, and going into menopause even though my ovaries are suppose to stay intact.

Anyone have any encouraging words? Or should I cancel my surgery and wait to see if it gets worse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Re: LSH scheduled and I'm h

Since fibroid is already causing pain, doesn't seem like it will behave for the long hall. As far as I know, keeping cervix and ovaries least likely option to interfere with sexual function. Waiting for me, made surgery more difficult because mine not only grew but also, apparently invited all of its long lost cousins to move into my uterus. Some women wait and then have to deal with extra recovery problems associated with age or new unrelated medical conditions. As far as running, I had same procedure 3 wks. ago. I feel great! Switch to walking (when doctor ok's it) then build up your pace/ distance. This is a very personal decision with many factors. So do what is best for you. Hope this helps. <Please keep support on the message boards.> Wishing you health and happiness!!
Unread 11-01-2012, 11:12 AM

I have the same worries you do. I have worked really hard to lose 65 pounds. I have been running a few times a week as well as cycling. I'm worried about not being able to exercise for at least 4 weeks. Then there is the menopause and sexual worries...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2012, 11:15 AM

I'm in the same boat as you. Take it one day at a time. ((Hug))
Unread 11-01-2012, 02:34 PM

I think your concerns are very normal.

Only you know how uncomfortable and inconvenient your symptoms are for you. Is it something you're comfortable living with for the time being? If so, maybe it's too soon for you to go this route and it may be best - for you - to wait. Once it's done, it's done, but as long as you don't have any other major concerns other than your own discomfort, it's probably something you could put off for a while if you're not fully on board with the hysterectomy.

I would discuss your concerns and reservations with your doctor. Postponing the surgery may not change your end result, but may give you time to become more comfortable with the idea of having it done.

Btw, I don't say that to discourage you from having the surgery. I just think it's important that if you don't have an urgent pressing medical need for it, that you be okay with your decision. When my doctor gave me my options (one of which was to wait and see) without hesitation I told him it could go. I'm 4 weeks post-op now and wouldn't change my decision if I could.

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register