Hysterectomy PLUS Abdominoplasty/Lipo - Scared! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy PLUS Abdominoplasty/Lipo - Scared! Hysterectomy PLUS Abdominoplasty/Lipo - Scared!

Unread 04-27-2005, 06:23 AM
Hysterectomy PLUS Abdominoplasty/Lipo - Scared!

HI. Luvbug73 here~ I am scheduled for my hysterectomy on May 25. Not only am I doing that but I am also scheduled for an Abominoplasty (tummy tuck) and Liposuction. My only daughter is turning 14 this June and decided that if I had to go through surgery abdominally, I was going to give myself a new belly while they are there! I haven't had surgery in over 10 years and cant even think about this day without scaring the heck out of myself! I know that the end result will be fantastic (I lost 45 pounds and have the loose skin to prove it!) but I am very scared about the pain I will be in after.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2005, 07:06 AM

Hi, congratulations on the weight loss. I did that myself many many years ago ( 75 lbs. ) so I know how hard it is to accomplish.

I had a tah/bso almost 3 years ago - no tummy tuck ( didn't even think of it - shucks ). The pain from the tah was kept bearable with pain meds and I can't take anything with narcotics because of bad reactions. Please diccuss your fears with your dr - together you should be able to decide on a plan that can keep you as comfortable as possible.

Best wishes. Also, it would be helpful if you would add your surgery date to your profile and it would add you to the best wishes for that day.

s
Unread 04-27-2005, 09:01 AM

Congratulations on your weight loss! I have lost 30 pounds from my second baby....it is no easy task!

I certainly don't want to worry you....I even hesitated replying to your post, but figured I'd say my peace and you can do what you want to with it! This is my experience and based on my medical doctor's and case, everyone is different. But, here goes:

I had a TT (tummy tuck) scheduled for April 5, and I was so excited. While waiting for it to be done, I had some other things go on... and it was determined that I needed a hysterectomy. I thought, "Great! While they're in there, may as well do it all at once!"

I spoke to my Gyn (whom I have great respect for and adore) and he was somewhat open to the idea, though not crazy about it. I went to the plastic surgeon and asked him. He said he is not a fan of "combining" surgeries, and would not do it. He said that is too much for the body to recover from. The risks of going under anesthesia twice far outweigh the risks of having multiple procedures done at once. The risks of blot clots and infections are higher, among other things. He said, "Let your body rest and recover from your hysterectomy and then come and see me."

I also have a friend who is a Gyn (he's the head of OB/GYN department at his hospital, been on TV as advice Gyn, written many articles and publications) and was talking to him at a party about my problems (I'm sure he loved being cornered and interrogated by me at his nephew's b-day party!) and I was just mentioning that I wanted a TT as well. He said, "Whatever you do, DON'T combine your surgeries. Do them separatly." I told him that my plastic surgeon won't do it, and he said, "Well, THAT'S a good plastic surgeon."

Furthermore, my best friend's dad is an anesthesiologist and I was talking to his about it, and he also said it's not a good idea to combine them.

Anyway, I know you are looking forward to the TT. My whole thinking was, "May as well make lemonade out of a lemon!" But then I had to take all of these Dr's advice and cancel the TT. I am scheduled for the hyster (which is going to be laprascopic-assisted, vaginal hysterectomy....now that I am not having the TT) May 17, and will probably have the TT in August or September.

Whatever you chose to do, I'm sure you'll be fine. I do know that it is not all that uncommon to do combine them, but I just felt compelled to share my story.

Good luck and take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register