Robotic Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Robotic Surgery Robotic Surgery

Unread 06-26-2013, 03:47 PM
Robotic Surgery

I wanted to get some opinions on the pros and cons of the robotic hysterectomy from anyone who has had it or knows of someone else's experience with it. I am a Registered Nurse but this is so new to my area. I don't have much of an opinion yet, except that I'm a little old fashioned and more comfortable in actual human hands. Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2013, 04:22 PM
Re: Robotic Surgery

I have never had any other surgery before but I thought it was great. Mine was 3 incisions. One above my belly button abt size of a quarter wide and 1 on each side lower abt size of a dime wide or smaller. Sometimes they have to do 5 it all depends on the size of fibroids if that is what you have. I have no complaints except for the doctor not really realizing you can still feel things healing after months.
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:29 AM

((Aliciawse))

Whilst you're waiting for further replies, you may wish to check out this procedure's category in Our Hysterectomy Stories forum.

We're sending positive thoughts!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2013, 07:42 AM

I had the daVinci full hysto, and I am happy with the outcome so far. I am at 5 weeks post op today. I have not had any of my restrictions lifted yet and hope to next week. My surgery was 4 incisions to take out a huge fibroid, 3X larger uterus, and possible cancer of an ovary (luckily no cancer!). My incisions are a 1" incision 2 inches above my belly button, two very small on the right and one very small on the left.

Other than the technology allowing smaller incisions and possibly finer movements interior, this is a major surgery and it has not always been touted as such. My surgeon told me it was "minimally invasive surgery" which sounds so much better than it is. It is still a full hysto and it takes just as long to recover. The exterior incisions healed very quickly, but I can still feel the interior incisions. With this technology they don't cut as much, so the abdominal muscles are not as traumatized. But other women have been told that they will be back to work or normal by 2 weeks, and that is not realistic!

I actually felt GREAT at 2 weeks, and then week 3 came around to remind me that I had major surgery, so I have been laying low for these last 3 weeks. Good luck in your research!
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:49 AM

I would not usually do this, but I'm going to suggest you look at a post-op forum thread called "Anyone else annoyed that davinci is not as advertised" and it is on page 3 of the threads right now. There are comments there about pros and cons, mostly about the recovery.

I DO NOT suggest to anyone to read any of the post op threads because they can totally freak you out - I am also in healthcare and the post op threads just added to my stress. So don't anyone else go out there and read them! Hopefully this helps you.
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:09 AM

I had the Davinci and am happy with it as well. I have had 2 c-sections and was happy to not be cut like that again. My doctor removed everything but 1 ovary and excised a bunch of endometriosis. The robot was able to preciously cut out some endo that was wrapped around my ureter. Also, my doctor really didn't say I would be up and running at 2 weeks like some do. She said to plan on 6 weeks...I am 4 weeks today and while I feel ok, I know I am not ready to be out and about yet. Best wishes...
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:08 AM

This was my first major surgery, so nothing to compare against, but I'm really pleased with my recovery and everything else about the daVinci. I had no acute pain, no internal pain,no complications other than some lymph node removal side effects. I was sore for a while, like I had done too many situps and swollen in places for a week. I was healed at 2 1/2 weeks but didn't go back to work until 5 weeks. It's definitely still major surgery and you're under anesthesia a bit longer so it's not a walk in the park. I would ask the doctor how many of these surgeries he/she has done. My gyn onc that did the surgery trains the residents at my cancer center, so I knew he had a lot of experience.
Unread 06-27-2013, 04:26 PM

I really was happy with my Davinci surgery. I had a cycstocele, rectocele repairs and hysterectomy. I have a 1" incision below my navel, and four small abdominal holes for tools plus two small puncture wounds just above my pelvic bone where the inserted the bladder sling. Left the hospital the following afternoon, and returned to work part time at 3 weeks.

I liked the minimally invasive technique with no large incisions, and feel I had less complications because of it. You are right, it is still major surgery, but I would do it all over again!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register