One week to go and I am getting nervous! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

One week to go and I am getting nervous! One week to go and I am getting nervous!

Unread 12-08-2005, 04:56 PM
One week to go and I am getting nervous!

Wow...This has been a long wait and I am getting nervous. I won't have my pre-op until Monday. What should I ask in the pre-op? I am really concerned with not being able to go to the bathroom. When I had a hysterscopy/Laproscopy they let me go from the hospital without urinating and then I ended up in the ER and was sent home with a cathiter. I have had 2 surgeries on my hand this year and had trouble urinating after anesthesia from those surgeries.

I am supposed to go to my mothers house after surgery to recover and for the holidays. It is a 2 1/2 hour drive through the mountains with no bathroom stops for a long ways. I am also concerned about riding in the car for that long. Any suggestions of how to ride for a long period of time? I am having an LSH I am having most of the cervix removed and 1 ovary and my uteris. I wonder if the pain is the same as when I had the hysterscopy and laprscopy, does anyone know?

I am also having finals at school and trying to get my house ready for me to be gone for a while. I have a friend comming to take care of my pets.

I have so many things to do...classes, studying, doctor apptments for this surgery and for my hand. Lots to do everyday and no time to breath is seems. Scared and overwhelmed! Christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2005, 06:00 PM

Wow, Christine, that's alot to get done in one week. Can you get a medical extension on the finals until after your surgery and the holidays? My sister did that after an accident years ago, returned to campus early relaxed, refreshed and ready for the tests.

About traveling so far with no where to stop, this will sound funny, but see if you can find a large mouthed thermos jug. Mark it for "travel john" and put it in the car with a short, wide funnel.

This has been done by several of our scout families who travel with small children who drink while traveling and can never wait for the next exit!

Stop at a safe place to use the travel john. If your Mom can't dump it right away, make sure you seal it tight.

Clean it after every trip and store it with baking soda in it to avoid stray smells.

Best of luck on your trip!
Unread 12-08-2005, 06:03 PM

I had a LSH and had to ride(I was not driving) for 2 hours the day after. The dr. made me promise to make a couple of stops and walk. I used one of those cushy pillows between my seatbelt and my tummy. I didn't have any problems. I would ask your dr. about your ride.

I had a D&C and hysterscopy and could not go afterward. I didn't really have pain after the procedure. You will probably be a little uncomfortable after the LSH but I don't think that bad. I was really amazed, I thought it would be so much worse. I was back at work in two weeks. Just follow dr. orders and ask questions. Good luck, I am sure everything will go great. Looking back, I worried so much for nothing. I guess that is easy to say now that it is over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2005, 06:33 PM

The walking is important during the ride home, especially for circulation post-op, and please remember to take pain meds BEFORE you start on the trip home. My drive was only 50 minutes and flat roads, but just the vibrations and occational pot-holes made me feel a bit raggedy by the time I got home. It might be wise to drink water along the way since you've had problems with your bladder after other procedures. Lots of rest when you get home too--even if you think you don't need it. Hope all goes well. Please keep us posted.

PS If you have big pets, please, please dip out of the food bag(s) instead of lifting the bags until your doc gives the ok for whatever the weight is. I forgot about that and ALMOST did a no-no right after getting home. Habit. :eyes:
Unread 12-08-2005, 08:21 PM

I only actually have three more classes to go to. One on Monday and Two on Tuesday. I am supposed to be in class on Thursday but I have surgery on that day so I got an ok from my teacher to have the final done on Tues. So I will be done with school on the 13th of Dec.

Thanks for the poty suggestion. There is two places to go but one is a porta-poty and the other is like a rest stop poty that does not flush. I really don't mind useing either one, but my mom thinks it is not a good idea. If I gotta go I am gonna go wherever I can without hurting myself.

My doctor knows about the trip but I will remind him at the pre-op on Monday. I am still unsure about what goes on in a pre-op appt. What should I ask?

As far as my pets go they are small and my girlfriend is going to take care of them while I am out of town.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to calm the nerves please let me know....Christine
Unread 12-09-2005, 07:45 AM

Christine,
I too have increasing difficulty with my bladder "waking" up after surgeries, the good news is it always does! Something I did pre-op to calm my fears is tp think of how much better I was going to feel after surgery and probably more important I looked at the number of women who have this surgery done everyday, the chances of something really major happening are probably about the same of winning the lottery. I haven't ever won the lottery so I figured the odds are on my side for success!! I know it's a different way to look at things but it did help me calm my fears. Remeber you CHOOSE how to feel and how to react to a situation. Hope this helps, good luck on your tests and with your surgery.
Hugs, Aimee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register