Post op laproscopy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post op laproscopy Post op laproscopy

Unread 01-14-2006, 02:21 AM
Post op laparoscopy

Hi!
Just had a lap or scope done yesterday to find out if I had endometriosis. None found!! Good news on that end but I will have to return in a month for another lap to see if my uterus is enlarged. If it is then we will schedule a hysterectomy. I am not one for going in and taking a bit out at a time. I want it all done and over with. I have had pain for too many years to only have something else happen later in life. I absolutely hate being operated on and I avoid it at all cost!
Didn't know I would have "swelly belly" with a lap or the weight gain. Surprise, surprise!
Other than soreness and waves of nausea I am feeling better than I expected, at least for now.
The nurses and Dr's were absolutely wonderful. It was like I was their first and only patient for the day and I didn't get in the OR till noon. I told them of the upcoming proceedure and they said they will be looking for me. How nice. It makes a world of difference when you have nurses that care.

Good luck to all the sisters out there! My prayers are with you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2006, 08:28 PM
Post op laproscopy

HI Kwooe,
I am sorry to hear that you have to go through so much in a short period of time. It amazing they couldn't tell if the uterus was enlarged from this lap? Sometimes I think they can only do one thing at a time. (I was assuming it was a male Dr., if not I apologise) LOL

When I had a lap in March mine forgot to tell me that there was a fibroid in there as well as endo and pcs. When I was swollen I used one of those freezer gel packs, and for the gas I used GasX. It really
works great. Did they give you a diagnosis yet?

I wish you the best. This site is awesome and the women are so wonderfully helpful that I am sure they will be of great comfort to you as you go through this.

Big 's
Unread 01-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Post op laproscopy

Hi,

Yes, he did tell me some things but I was just waking up so I really don't remember all of it. I am to go back in 2 weeks and discuss what he "didn't find". lol I am also curious as to why he didn't check the uterus at that time. That will be my first question.

I do have gas and did take some gas-x. I still have had a couple waves of nausea but nothing deep breaths didn't take care of.

Soreness is unreal today but I refuse to take the percocet. I will get through this without narcotics. I have taken motrin and seems to help a bit.

I can't stand up straight. I feel like my grandmother!! lol I am hoping tomorrow will be better.

I have been using the heating pad but will have to try a ice pack. The swelling is terrible! I look like I am pregnant but know it will go down, soon, I hope.

With all this going on it makes me wonder how many times worse is a hysterectomy?!

I don't think I could have done more before surgery to make things better on me when I got home. Although the turning in bed seems to be a big problem especially with dogs in bed with me. lol

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2006, 10:27 PM
Post op laproscopy

Hi Kwooe,

I hope you start to feel better. In a month's time, we Hyster Sisters hope for the best for you.

if you do find out your Dr. recommends a hyst, just post all your questions and hopefully we can help out. Hearing the word "hysterectomy" can feel like the end of the world - it did for me - and you have a group of wonderful ladies here to help you out.

Possibly you would be a good candidate for a LAVH (Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy) or a LSH, which I had. Both are lap surgeries and less invasive hysts. Here is a H.S. link that goes over the different types of hysts:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...p?s=&id=152317

Also, right now, you might reconsider your pain meds. Even with my LSH, my Dr wanted me to take my prescription meds since he wanted me to stay ahead of the pain, since he felt that helped with the healing process. Hey..I am not a big medicine person. Over the counter tylenol is generally ~it~ for me. There can be a time and a place to take prescription meds, if you are in pain.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 01-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Post op laproscopy

Hi again Kwooe!
I have to agree with Mary that sometimes the meds do help with the healing process. I can remember the hunched over look well. Just take it easy so you don't over do it and make adhesions. Try to get out and walk a little it helps with gas too.

I have two dogs and they like to share mommy's bed too so I can relate to the trying to turn over with them in bed. Fortunatly my husband would come in and shoo them out. I used a lumbar pillow in bed, I'm sure you know what they are, kinda long and narrow. I could tuck it up under my side when I rolled from one side to the other. I had the lap in March and then lymphedectomy (sp?) in groin in June and I don't think I could have slept well without my pillow. I could also put it between my legs if needed to support them.

Now if you could just get the dog to go get a drink for you> LOL

Keep in touch we are here to help if we can.

Hugs and best wishes,

Bev
Unread 01-16-2006, 08:17 AM
Post op laproscopy

Hi Kwoo

I'm glad the hospital staff was so kind to you - that sure helps . I would think your surgeon should have been able to tell the size of your uterus with your laparoscopy. I am wondering if the other procedure they might be referring to could be a Hysteroscopy which is a scope inside the uterus that can sometimes detect problems which might otherwise be missed. Maybe not, but you'll find out at your post-op visit.

When I woke up from my ablation, my DH told me the Dr. said one of my fibroids he was going to remove "wasn't a fibroid so he couldn't really remove it." When I asked what it was - DH couldn't remember the term - :marble: I had to wait until my follow-up visit to solve the mystery. (It was a large nodule of adenomyosis)

Hope you are feeling better by now. Good luck with your visit.
Best wishes & s,
Beth
Unread 01-16-2006, 02:27 PM
post op lap

Mary, Bev and Beth,

Thank you for your replies.

I did break down and take a percocet the other night. Much to my dismay I was up from 11 pm to 12pm the next afternoon. I start cleaning when I take pain meds and had to make myself stop since dusting was VERY important to me at this time along with itching everything on my body! lol

I went grocery shopping today. My 17 year old son is home so he did the lifting and driving

I also took a water pill yesterday afternoon, such relief! 9 pounds later I was feeling much better. My belly is still swollen, I guess that takes a while.

I am not sure what the Dr told me he would do next since I was just waking up, but I will find out. I don't want to go through another one of these operations just to have the Dr say I need a Hyst. I want it all done and over with.
Spring is coming up soon and I would like to be able to on the road to recovery before then.

I do know that I will be trying my best to loose as much weight as possible before any other type of surgery. I think it will help greatly in the healing process. I am 30 pounds overweight, so anything I loose will help. I feel like I have been run over by a semi and the driver didn't leave any parts of my body out!!

I also put on a loose fitting girdle today and it has helped. I think I will try to find a softer one for upcoming surgery.

I have great compassion for those that have gone through this now. I really didn't understand until I woke up Friday afternoon.

Hang in there sisters! My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Kay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register