Trouble urinating after lavh a/p repair pubosling | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Trouble urinating after lavh a/p repair pubosling Trouble urinating after lavh a/p repair pubosling

Unread 11-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Trouble urinating after lavh a/p repair pubosling

Hi! I am new to the website, and I hope I am posting this correctly. I had a vaginal partial hysterectomy and a&p repair, and a pubovaginal sling done on 11/5/08. Since the catheter was removed (and put back in and removed again) I am still unable to urinate on my own. Now I am straight cathing and they have me on flomax and muscle relaxers (soma) to hopefully relax the muscles to release the urine. No urine has been released after 2 days of taking this, but it sure has knocked me out! Has anyone else had this issue? I am just so frustrated, and I know I am only 2 weeks post op but still. The doctors (uro and gyno) are both surprised this would happen, and said it has only happened in one other patient, they worked on together who eventually started going on her own, with no further surgery.
Thanks for letting me vent and it's good to be here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2008, 09:51 PM

Hi Redhed

First of all you aren't alone!

It looks like we had very similar surgeries. My cath was removed on the 3rd day after surgery, I was only able to release small amounts of urine so I was cathed again before I was sent home with instructions to see my Doc in a week.

when I returned at one week, the cath was removed and I went home. That night I was able to release small amounts of urine again, but when I woke up in the morning I was unable to release any urine at all and was in extreme pain. Sooooo, after a 90 mph trip to the Doc's office I was cathed again,this time with instructions to clamp off the catheter for 2 hours and then open it for 15 minutes all day long. They also put me on a medication to help relax the bladder.

One week after that I returned to the Doc's office and the cath was removed again - Again, I was able to release small amounts of urine, but I was also still on medication to keep the bladder relaxed.

This time I was able to continue urinating, small amounts at first, but now at 5 weeks everything seems to be working wonderfully. I'm fully empty my bladder, I'm no longer on any medication for my bladder, I have no discomfort other than every once in a while I need to focus and relax before I can go.

Best of all, no more crossing my legs if I cough, sneeze or laugh, and I no longer feel like I have a bladder the size of a gnat,

Best of luck to you, I hope things smooth out for you VERY quickly
Unread 11-20-2008, 10:23 PM

Hey Redhed,

So many urine problem posts tonight... Try filling a bathtub ankle deep in really warm water. Stand in it, feet apart... bend forward from shoulders just a little and wait... If you feel the urge, let it fly. Took 2 days of this before things regulated for me.

Just my 2cents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-21-2008, 07:17 AM

Thanks so much for the tips. I really appreciate knowing I am not the only one out here. It sure feels like it especially when family members are acting like I am some alien, since I am using the straight cath-which does suck-don't get me wrong!
Now I am wondering if I am getting a UTI-just feels kinda different-a different feeling when I use the catheter, and not as much urine coming out, but with all the muscle relaxers and such, I am surprised I can feel anything.
Last night the uro's nurse called wanting to know if there was any change, and she commented, maybe he just got it too tight. When I saw my gyno on Wed, she commented she was there when he did the surgery and she thought it was perfect, not too tight at all.
I just feel so frustrated!
Ok-I am done venting-again.
Unread 11-21-2008, 07:57 AM

Hey Redhed,

Vent away, trust me, I know how frustrating and uncomfortable it is. It also really messed with my head - I know I was really worried about another surgery as well. I was worried the sling was too tight, I was worried about a kazillion other things.

Turns out, my bladder just wasn't ready to work on it's own yet - figures, *I* would have a battered and lazy bladder, eh?

A UTI test would be a good thing.

During the second looooong week of my cath experience, I woke up one morning and there was blood in my urine and I was cramping pretty badly - it led to a rather expensive ER visit. In my case, it turned out my bladder was just irritated by the cath, but in reading these boards it seems that UTI's are a pretty common thing.

A couple of other things I tried in my quest to pee... running water, putting my hands in warm water, elevating my feet a bit and changing my body position, standing in a running shower, or, if your Doc says it's ok, sitting in a warm bath.

Good luck, I hope things clear up for you fast!
Unread 11-21-2008, 01:34 PM

Hi Redhed; sorry to hear you're going through this. I had a TVH, A&P repairs and Bladder Sling (TOT) surgery on 7/30/08. I had a catheter for two weeks after the surgery because my bladder wouldn't empty as much as my docotor felt it should. Once I had the catheter out I , too, was on flomax. My doctor stated it worked on strengthening the neck of your bladder to help things along. I've learned it does take time and the most important thing is to keep in touch with your doctor and update him/her on how you feel and your progress. I'm three months out and 'just' getting when I pee that it's a consistant stream of urine. Before, I would go and have to lean forward and it would take about three tries. I've read up alot about this type of surgery and many ladies here have had similar recovery issues, too. Think positive and best wishes.
Unread 11-21-2008, 06:06 PM

Thanks for all the info, I just never thought it would be this tough-I thought surgery and I would be all back to normal-I guess just really not thinking I would have trouble urinating! It is something we just take for granted.
Thanks for everyone's input. It really does mean alot to me!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register